Why I love the internet as a martial artist.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I first began studying the Fma, my teacher had trained with Remy Presas, in fact, he was the guy getting hit in the face on the cover of Modern Arnis, the book by Remy Presas, and I attended some seminars with Bruce Juchnik who trained with Angel Cabales in serrada escrima. It was interesting to see the techniques and to hear some of the stories associated with Remy Presas and Angel Cabales. Later, I followed Edgar Sulite around the midwest attending his seminars and listened to his stories about his teachers and his experiences with them. Now, I am doing DTS Kali, with additional material, and I am hearing stories about many of the other great fighters in the arts, including Jerson Tortal, Tatong Illustrisimo, Remy Presas, Ernesto Presas and a bunch of others, (before people get mad at this and that person left out of the list, these are stories from people who trained with various people, not a comment on skill or ranking or any number of the other reasons to complain about people being left out.)

The awsome thing now...I can actually see these guys in action...how truly awsome is that. This is the first era of martial arts where so much is available to so many, wether or not you can actually train with those famous practitioners of the arts. I have watched video after video of these teachers and it is truly amazing. I also watch the old footage of the Japanese sword masters and so many other arts. I just wanted to take a moment and be grateful for this time I have been allowed to exist in. That's all. Carry on.

This video of Angel Cabales brought out these thoughts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2CzbDoY5Fg&feature=feedrec_grec_index

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hell yeah man!!

The late and great masters of Balintawak. How I would love to spar with them.

[yt]BW9phmfn-gE[/yt]

[yt]und_Jlu-Y5c[/yt]

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's also the opportunity to see a lot of crap , because any moron with a camera phone can try and get their 15 minutes of fame.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But crap or not, you get to see the real masters in action, and that is something that very few down the generations have had. There have always been fakes and posers, but to see the real deal is great.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's also the opportunity to see a lot of crap , because any moron with a camera phone can try and get their 15 minutes of fame.
Filter Past the bad - Enjoy the good.

I mean, I thought this Site was some kind of Name-Genned Virus due to the way it lays out Keywords when you search for it. I only realised otherwise because someone made a reference to it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We used to buy books in the late sixties, take them to the dojo and go through them after class trying to make heads or tails out of the sequential photos and the accompanying text, We felt cutting edge. We used to take my friend's mom's home movie camera to Chinatown to watch Bruce Lee movies and try to film from our seats. The tape thingys were only three minutes long each, and the only ones that would come out well enough to see were the outside shots, like the tournament sequences in Enter The Dragon. We'd bring them to the dojo and watch them over and over on a projector someone borrowed from the local high school.
When VCRs came out and Panther Press first came around we felt like new age geeks.We were rockin'! We worked every weekend to get extra cash to buy everything we could. We wanted to see all these wonderful arts we had only read about. It was wonderful, it really was.
Today - man, you just can't beat what's at your fingertips on a computer. The fact that we are all here on this sight, talking from across the globe.....it's just unbelievable.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There's one photo of a very colorful character wearing a whole bunch of fake dynamite duct-taped to his body a-la suicide bomber, a thong, and a very serious expression. I tried to find that rare and precious diamond to add to the montage, but I couldn't. Damn shame.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I first began studying the Fma, my teacher had trained with Remy Presas, in fact, he was the guy getting hit in the face on the cover of Modern Arnis, the book by Remy Presas, and I attended some seminars with Bruce Juchnik who trained with Angel Cabales in serrada escrima. It was interesting to see the techniques and to hear some of the stories associated with Remy Presas and Angel Cabales. Later, I followed Edgar Sulite around the midwest attending his seminars and listened to his stories about his teachers and his experiences with them. Now, I am doing DTS Kali, with additional material, and I am hearing stories about many of the other great fighters in the arts, including Jerson Tortal, Tatong Illustrisimo, Remy Presas, Ernesto Presas and a bunch of others, (before people get mad at this and that person left out of the list, these are stories from people who trained with various people, not a comment on skill or ranking or any number of the other reasons to complain about people being left out.)

The awsome thing now...I can actually see these guys in action...how truly awsome is that. This is the first era of martial arts where so much is available to so many, wether or not you can actually train with those famous practitioners of the arts. I have watched video after video of these teachers and it is truly amazing. I also watch the old footage of the Japanese sword masters and so many other arts. I just wanted to take a moment and be grateful for this time I have been allowed to exist in. That's all. Carry on.

This video of Angel Cabales brought out these thoughts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2CzbDoY5Fg&feature=feedrec_grec_index
And in that case, imagine how it might be in a few years time when we can potentially interact with those masters of old in some kind of virtual reality setting that will make 2-D, non-interactive Youtube viewing look antiquated :)

...Sorry, I grew up on a diet of Star Trek holo-suites :)

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is some video on using the knife by Edgar Sulite, founder of Lameco eskrima. Edgar Sulite passed away but he lives on through the internet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=helaREgbFms

farther into the video there is some really neat stuff. This is one of the things I love about the fma, you don't have to wait to get to the weapon work, it starts day one, the first minute of class.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Truthfully, there has never been a better time to train than right now! Sure there is some crap out there. (but there always was) However, there are simply some fantastic martial practitioner's to work out with and the information available ie. books, dvd's, etc. is staggering and growing all the time!

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I can only imagine what half of you were doing back in the 80's. Picking up a move or two from a Sho Kasugi movie and paying Panther Productions $100 per video so you can learn a whole lot of nothing. hahaahah

Yay for the internet!

OKenpo942

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the original post. What a great time we live in! Wish I could have seen more of them in person, but at least we have this medium as a time portal. Much to be learned from the legends. Cherish those that you have access to that actually trained with them to give you a first hand account of what you are watching.

James

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Agree, the access has never been greater nor has the willingness to freely share with outsiders been more openly shared. A great time to be involved

Regards
Brian King

Latest Discussions