Why Dos Everyone Mouth Off On Sport Martial Arts

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Kenpo_student
It is my feeling that the Koreans have compromised the integrity of martial arts by putting belts up for sale.

Kinda like American Kenpo has started to do?

Oops...was that my "out-loud" voice?
:rolleyes:

Gawd we're all a wrangy bunch this week ain't we?
:shrug:

OP
A

Angus

Originally posted by Kenpo_student

It is my feeling that the Koreans have compromised the integrity of martial arts by putting belts up for sale.

Nails...on...chalkboard...:mad:

Don't you think it's a WEE bit general to say the KOREANS are at fault for this?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

There are people I would like to kill on a daily basis but luckily I have a support network of friends, family, and co-workers that stop me.
:rolleyes:

Gou,

I am here for you, for I know some day I will need your help also.

Mina-san, (* Translated as Respect to all *)

I beleive that people train for one of three reasons at first. They then stay in Martial Arts for a lifetime one reason only. The three reasns why people join a martial art:

1) Self Defense, they were beat up or scared by someone and now want to learn how to defend themselves.

2) Exercise - The join for the exercise or for the Sport aspect of the art.

3) TO learn how to fight. Insert reason why here.

They Stay because they love the art. Now for Boxers who get in the ring every day it is because of the fight. For those who are into the sport stay for the fitness and exercies and love of executing their art. And finally for those that started for Self defene stay to learn more to defend themselves, ot to help others learn to defend themselves.

Now, you can join for mulitlple of these reasons and exhibit traits from all categories.

Remember all arts have bozo's and some great figters have never trained a day in an official atmosphere, just on the street. It is the person not the art or the technique.

Just MY Opinion - I could be wrong but I think . . . :D

Rich

OP
J

J-kid

I think Tarabos your making kenpo people look bad . Its one thing to disagree but to insult me without much of a reason. I hate to say this but your giving me a bad inpression of kenpo.

Any how i think we are getting off subject . What i was saying was the experience you gain from doing the contact sports aspect would inprove your fighting chances alot. Wouldnt you think so?

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Judo-kid

I think Tarabos your making kenpo people look bad . Its one thing to disagree but to insult me without much of a reason. I hate to say this but your giving me a bad inpression of kenpo.

I would never assume to speak for the entire kenpo community,
but as a kenpoist ... SO?

What i was saying was the experience you gain from doing the contact sports aspect would inprove your fighting chances alot.

No you weren't. Go back and read the subject that YOU
posted.

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by tarabos
started? where have you been? maybe you were just being nice...:D

Ha ha ha! Oh man, Tarabos, you almost made me pee myself laughing. Thanx!
:D

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Rich Parsons
Mina-san, (* Translated as Respect to all *)
I beleive that people train for one of three reasons at first. They then stay in Martial Arts for a lifetime one reason only. The three reasns why people join a martial art:
1) Self Defense, they were beat up or scared by someone and now want to learn how to defend themselves.
2) Exercise - The join for the exercise or for the Sport aspect of the art.
3) TO learn how to fight. Insert reason why here.
They Stay because they love the art. Now for Boxers who get in the ring every day it is because of the fight. For those who are into the sport stay for the fitness and exercies and love of executing their art. And finally for those that started for Self defene stay to learn more to defend themselves, ot to help others learn to defend themselves.
Now, you can join for mulitlple of these reasons and exhibit traits from all categories.
Remember all arts have bozo's and some great figters have never trained a day in an official atmosphere, just on the street. It is the person not the art or the technique.
Just MY Opinion - I could be wrong

As usual Rich, much of what you say is very wise.
:asian:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know there are some really good TKD folks out there. however, the majority in my area couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. When I moved here, I went to every single martial arts studio within 20 miles looking for somewhere to train. I evaluated them by this criteria:

will what they're teaching me help me in defending myself?

do their students of the same rank look like they could challenge me?

do they NOT have seven year old black belts running around?

Not a single TKD school in a 20 mile radius passed the test. Most failed only one or two questions, but some failed all three. I was told that their techniques were "too deadly" and therefore could only be practiced in the air, never ever on another human. It was difficult to find out if their students could challenge me, because their students only do stuff in the air... it looks cool, but does it work? and most of em had people who got black belts in less than a year, most of whom were under the age of ten.

I don't have a problem with TKD. I have a problem with the people that take an art that works and make it into a joke.

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Any how i think we are getting off subject . What i was saying was the experience you gain from doing the contact sports aspect would inprove your fighting chances alot. Wouldnt you think so?

i don't think you had much respect for kenpo or any other art besides the ones you take part in before i said anything. and kirk pretty much summed up the feelings of kenpo people. most of them don't even bother with crap like this, and they're better than me for it.

maybe you'd like to continue this conversation in a few months so you can have some time to get a better grasp of the english language...

OP
J

J-kid

Wow nice low blow Tarabos you proble learn that in your kenpo class tonight whats next your mama jokes? Hey Tarabos you seem younger then me. So what my english grammer isnt the best. DEAL WITH IT>your not the first Kenpo guy who has talked crap to me so i have learned to except that you guys must do that instead of fighting. I guess not everyone is a jerk in kenpo i would like to think thats inpossible. Prove me wrong:mad:

OP
I

Idaten

All this squabbling about styles is pointless. It has been said that to achieve true mastery of the Martial Arts, you must have "no-stlye" You are only a Martial Artist. Not a "Kenpo man" Not a "Kung Fu Man" etc. You must have a deep respect for all of the styles.

Personally though, I tend to look down on things like UFC. Not because of the skill involved or anything of the sort. Those people are fighting machines, make no mistake. However, I study Japan and its roots. The tradition, the discipline, the very roots of the culture that fostered the Martial Arts of today. I believe that many stlyes and people are losing the tradition. Some people don't even wear Gi's any longer. I believe that to truly understand the Arts. We must get back to its roots.

OP
J

J-kid

I am willing to call a truce if trarbos wants to?:eek:

OP
K

Kirk

Wow nice low blow Tarabos you proble learn that in your kenpo class tonight whats next your mama jokes? Hey Tarabos you seem younger then me. So what my english grammer isnt the best. DEAL WITH IT>your not the first Kenpo guy who has talked crap to me so i have learned to except that you guys must do that instead of fighting. I guess not everyone is a jerk in kenpo i would like to think thats inpossible. Prove me wrong:mad:

Are you trying to just want to come on here and talk about how
other styles suck, with no one saying anything back? You do it
A LOT J.K. Now you're trying the old "you're giving your style a
bad name" routine. Well not only do you give teens a bad name,
you're just jumping on the bandwagon of YOUR style. You give
MMA a bad name, and you give your Judo coach a bad name. I
believe that the crap you're spouting off about was told to you
by your Judo coach. He must have very little respect for other
people, and for other arts. Or he'd have shut your mouth by now.
You're the one who initiated this post (Initiated means started).
And you go on and on and on all the freakin time about how
great of a fighter you are, how the UFC is sooooooo close to real
fighting, and how other styles with traditions are just soooooooo
terrible. YOU GIVE MMA A BAD NAME. You Judo Boy, make MMA
look like crap to me. I'd just as soon never study martial arts
again, if my choice was limited to the various typical MMA styles,
because if I had to work out with people like you ... who I am
assuming are all over in MMA circles (I bet they're filled with
nothing but people like you and your attitude and intellingence
level) ... I would just be sick sick sick, every day.

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
man...look at all this nonsense. this is why these types of threads should just be locked immediatley. nothing productive is going to come out of this, just people arguing and others trying to mediate. the only thing good that came out of it was 7starmantis telling me about that hilarious site.

see you all in the next thread.

OP
I

Idaten

I agree, all that's being accomplished is alienating eachother's styles

OP
K

Kirk

I'm not alienating styles, I have an open mind, and a general
interest in M.A. I was just trying to make a point. Judo-Kid is
the one bringing up this subject, and then when someone
disagrees with him, he tries a childish routine of telling someone
"you represent everyone in your art". When he was the one
initially being abrasive. You can't judge an art by one guy's
attitude, that's just ... ... dumb! There's no other word to
describe it.

I do feel that a lot of MMAers come in here looking to stir things
up. There's been quite a few posts before Judo Kid, and I'm sure
there'll be a lot more after (including more from Judo Kid I'm sure).
But if I bump into someone that is training for UFC, or just in
multiple styles for street defense, then I'd offer to buy him a cup
of coffee. I'm not going to tell preassume that he's going to start
talking trash, just because of the number of MMAers that like to
do it online.

OP
I

Idaten

Don't get me wrong, I'm with you. Judo Kid was being an *******.
And as I said with before, I have respect for UFC practioners. Did you read my other posts?

OP
K

Kirk

Idaten, I wasn't attacking anything you had to say, I was just
trying to clarify the perspective I was bringing to the table.
Many respects! :asian:

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Kirk
But if I bump into someone that is training for UFC, or just in
multiple styles for street defense, then I'd offer to buy him a cup
of coffee.

Bod thinks: Hmm, I could do with a cup of coffee...

Hey Kirk, did I ever mention that I'm training for UFC?

Status
Not open for further replies.