Are competitive Sport Martial Artists superior?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I don't understand is why would anybody want to treat MA as sport for his entire life?
Fortunately, there is no requirement for you to understand why other people do something. Which is good, because there are tons of things people do that make me scratch my head.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I don't understand is why would anybody want to treat MA as sport for his entire life?

I don't mind to compete on wrestling sport without using my kicking/punching skill. But I definite don't want to stop training my kicking/punching skill just because the wrestling sport doesn't use it.
Not everyone who gets into a MA is in it for life. I've met former world-class competitors who no longer train. They were in it for the sport, and when they couldn't compete, those who weren't interested in teaching went on to something else.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not everyone who gets into a MA is in it for life. I've met former world-class competitors who no longer train. They were in it for the sport, and when they couldn't compete, those who weren't interested in teaching went on to something else.
For me, it's more like aerobics for health. I hate running, this is my aerobics. Honestly, for years, I don't even think about this move is for what, just went through the motion and get my heart rate up. Only lately after I got into stick fight, then I started to think again.

Too bad a world class competitor dropped this like a rock. They can get out of shape and have all sort of health issue when they get old, just like the rest of the couch potatoes!! It's better to keep a steady paste rather than go crazy for a few years then just drop it because they feel burned out.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For me, it's more like aerobics for health. I hate running, this is my aerobics. Honestly, for years, I don't even think about this move is for what, just went through the motion and get my heart rate up. Only lately after I got into stick fight, then I started to think again.

Too bad a world class competitor dropped this like a rock. They can get out of shape and have all sort of health issue when they get old, just like the rest of the couch potatoes!! It's better to keep a steady paste rather than go crazy for a few years then just drop it because they feel burned out.
We were talking about this in another thread, but that's what happens to a lot of sumo wrestlers when they retire. They either get really skinny/in shape since they no longer have to eat so much but continue to stay fit. Or they stop, and end up with health issues.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were talking about this in another thread, but that's what happens to a lot of sumo wrestlers when they retire. They either get really skinny/in shape since they no longer have to eat so much but continue to stay fit. Or they stop, and end up with health issues.
I don't think it should shock anyone that your intake has to change when your activity level does. But apparently it does.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't think it should shock anyone that your intake has to change when your activity level does. But apparently it does.
I am doing extras lately adding the stick fight, I am happy I lost 10lbs without changing my diet. But I don't plan to keep this up for good, just so I can achieve to a certain point and I plan to drop off. I don't want to kill myself over it, but I am not looking forward to gaining the weight back!!!:(

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Some people prefer the athletic side of the martial arts. I know plenty of guys who did competitive BJJ and MMA and are now coaches. I've even gotten to corner a few MMA bouts, and it was a great experience.

Some people love that aspect of MA training, because you're constantly applying martial arts in a live environment instead of constantly training for some boogeyman to give you a wedgie in a dark alley.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
was my Boyhood hero !

I respect the hell out of Neil, but I really don't see BJJ utilizing Judo for standup grappling on the level he's talking about. Its simply going to be wrestling. Wrestling simply blends in better with BJJ's open technique philosophy. Maybe in competitive gi-based BJJ you'll see some Judo throwing techniques, but even there, wrestling (and the guard pull) will dominate.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I respect the hell out of Neil, but I really don't see BJJ utilizing Judo for standup grappling on the level he's talking about. Its simply going to be wrestling. Wrestling simply blends in better with BJJ's open technique philosophy. Maybe in competitive gi-based BJJ you'll see some Judo throwing techniques, but even there, wrestling (and the guard pull) will dominate.

And of course wrestling does judo throws.

Ugh

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yup. You cannot learn how to fight without exposing yourself to pressure. Sport based arts tend to do that more often.

Most of everything else he judges an art by how much the instructors go on about "discipline" and "respect."

Yeah, because when I'm potentially fighting for my life, the ONE trait I'm gonna need more than anything is to respect the person who might try to KILL me.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yup. You cannot learn how to fight without exposing yourself to pressure. Sport based arts tend to do that more often.

Most of everything else he judges an art by how much the instructors go on about "discipline" and "respect."

Yeah, because when I'm potentially fighting for my life, the ONE trait I'm gonna need more than anything is to respect the person who might try to KILL me.

You kind of need a bit of something like respect and discipline to be able to work with people in that pressure dynamic as well.

Being cool hand Luke while you are doing kata is a bit easier than being cool when some guy is beating you up.

This is a drill called the shark tank.

And it is as much a mental crucible as it is a physical one.

Ugh

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You kind of need a bit of something like respect and discipline to be able to work with people in that pressure dynamic as well.

Being cool hand Luke while you are doing kata is a bit easier than being cool when some guy is beating you up.

This is a drill called the shark tank.

And it is as much a mental crucible as it is a physical one.
That's the only time I see it as important.. in training.

Outside of training, the mask comes off whenever possible.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just throw this one in there. A reverse Grip press for upper chest. Not one i like but "one man´s meat is another man`s poision"

Another one you can do with your bands or two Dumbbells, coming up from a low position. work your upper areas and better for shoulders. I would go with this one if i was you with a DECLINE press.
I just bought this and see whether I can do decline press.
Amazon.com: GrowingBean Bench Press Resistance Bands-Adjustable Chest and Shoulder Workout Bands with Handles Bodybuilding Home Gym Training Equipment Multiple Training Methods, 152lbs : Sports & Outdoors

I do body weight dip, I do first set of 20, then 15, then like 13 (as much as I can do). I am 175lbs, does this work on lower pecks?