Has MMA done harm to martial arts

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A note on the fanboy thing-you guys should see all of the fanboys that come into the gym to workout and they are decked out had-to-toe in Tapout gear.

And not a one of them train in ANY MA or are even pursuing training. These guys walk around like they are the baddest thing since Ali. Hilarious!!!!

At the very elast MMA has helped the economy with sales of gear and videos, let alone the number of people paying $$$$$ for MMA training. I just heard this week that a new MMA gym is opening in a town not to far from my home. But there is a problem. They are hiring a guy to teach JJ, that has little to no formal training in JJ, outside of the time he has been bouncing from school to school. And that he watches a bunch of UFC shows. That is the problem right there.

You could always go along and join in for a session lol! the best thing about MMA in the UK at the moment is that when MMA clubs open up and they aren't very good they get found out very quickly. I guess when MMA gets to be hugely popular here that won't happen sadly. These people will want to put 'fighters' onto shows and thats where things will fall to pieces. word of mouth among promoters will make sure they don't get another fight. There will also be plenty of real fighters to point out how to train etc too. If the people are genuine about fighting they'll soon find a reputable trainer to replace the rubbish one.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
A note on the fanboy thing-you guys should see all of the fanboys that come into the gym to workout and they are decked out had-to-toe in Tapout gear.

And not a one of them train in ANY MA or are even pursuing training. These guys walk around like they are the baddest thing since Ali. Hilarious!!!!

At the very elast MMA has helped the economy with sales of gear and videos, let alone the number of people paying $$$$$ for MMA training. I just heard this week that a new MMA gym is opening in a town not to far from my home. But there is a problem. They are hiring a guy to teach JJ, that has little to no formal training in JJ, outside of the time he has been bouncing from school to school. And that he watches a bunch of UFC shows. That is the problem right there.

I'm not kidding here...

I was Wal-Mart the other day, and I swear I saw this 30 something guy, who was about 6 feet tall, wearing a Tapout shirt. That's nothing spectacular, but the thing is that this guy had a gut that was hanging out underneath the shirt.

And the best part of it all...I passed him on the book aisle...reading an MMA magizine...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm not kidding here...

I was Wal-Mart the other day, and I swear I saw this 30 something guy, who was about 6 feet tall, wearing a Tapout shirt. That's nothing spectacular, but the thing is that this guy had a gut that was hanging out underneath the shirt.

And the best part of it all...I passed him on the book aisle...reading an MMA magizine...
Of course, it's okay to be a fan. Most of the guys who watch sports don't also play. Some, maybe, but most guys who watch football haven't picked one up in years, if ever.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Of course, it's okay to be a fan. Most of the guys who watch sports don't also play. Some, maybe, but most guys who watch football haven't picked one up in years, if ever.

That's true...

I guess it just annoys me to see Tapout merch out there this much...and I'm really not sure why exactly it annoys me...but it does.

Honestly, thinking about it, when people buy their merch, it puts money in the sponser's hands, and allows the MMA market to grow, so I guess I should be embracing it.

I dunno, though. It's kind of like, to me, if I were to start seeing people running around with TKD blackbelt shirts on from Centruy...not that they're a martial artist, but they at least bought the shirt.

Kind of in the same aspect as I'm sick to death of hearing Nickleback on the radio, and sick of them as a band...nothing particularly wrong with the music, even if it's not your taste...but they're all over the place.

I guess I'm just worried that it's going to flood the market and become over-exploited, the same as most other things do that become uber-popular.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That's true...

I guess it just annoys me to see Tapout merch out there this much...and I'm really not sure why exactly it annoys me...but it does.

Honestly, thinking about it, when people buy their merch, it puts money in the sponser's hands, and allows the MMA market to grow, so I guess I should be embracing it.

I dunno, though. It's kind of like, to me, if I were to start seeing people running around with TKD blackbelt shirts on from Centruy...not that they're a martial artist, but they at least bought the shirt.

Kind of in the same aspect as I'm sick to death of hearing Nickleback on the radio, and sick of them as a band...nothing particularly wrong with the music, even if it's not your taste...but they're all over the place.

I guess I'm just worried that it's going to flood the market and become over-exploited, the same as most other things do that become uber-popular.
I understand. Personally, when brands like Fokai and Shoyoroll start leeching into the mainstream market, I'll feel the same way. Or if someone wore a Koral or Atama t-shirt. I know what you're saying.

But the above, like, I guess Century (although I don't really know much about the company) are more insider brands for guys who train. TapOut is a commercial brand as much for the consumer as for the insider. More so, probably. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a bunch of that TapOut stuff.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Whenever I see someone wearing a Tapout or Affliction shirt, I ask them if they train anywhere. Sometimes you can make a friend, talking about MMA and training. When you mention it to someone who doesn't train, then something goes "ding!" in their brains and it just might dawn on them:

"Hmm... Maybe I should get my butt into the gym, too... MMA is a possibility."

Tapout isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's just a brand that does its job: associates the wearer of its products with a growing, intensely physical sport. How is that bad?

Yes, wearing Tapout gear might get somone questioning your toughness. That's the exact same risk someone assumes when they wear a Cubs hat in St. Louis. I'm not a fan of wearing the t-shirts, but one of my training partners has the shin guards, which seem to be pretty sturdy and comfortable.

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
They are all role models, whether they like it or not.
That's the point I was making. If it makes it easier, let's call them "public figures". Whether they intend to or not, like it or not, pro fighters are just like any other athlete in that they do become public figures in their sport (and sometimes beyond). How they conduct themselves in and out of the ring is something the media, as well as their fans, will be following. So if an athlete runs his or her mouth, and doesn't hold him or herself accountable for what they say, it conveys to their fans that it's okay. Likewise, if they show they are holding themselves accountable for their conduct, it sends the message that they're taking responsiblity for what they say and do.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tapout isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's just a brand that does its job: associates the wearer of its products with a growing, intensely physical sport. How is that bad?
It isn't. I guess that it depends on what you think of their marketing.

I also don't think that their name being attached to WWE style promotions of MMA is bad; you advertise where your brand will be seen by the demographic you're trying to reach.

As for WWE style promotion, that isn't necesarilly 'bad' either. The WWE is very, very good at marketing, so taking cues from them in that regard is actually a good thing.

I do find that style of promotion to be a matter of taste. Everyones' is different. If you want to reach the demographic that that style of marketing appeals to, you've gotta speak their language.

Daniel

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It isn't. I guess that it depends on what you think of their marketing.

I also don't think that their name being attached to WWE style promotions of MMA is bad; you advertise where your brand will be seen by the demographic you're trying to reach.

As for WWE style promotion, that isn't necesarilly 'bad' either. The WWE is very, very good at marketing, so taking cues from them in that regard is actually a good thing.

I do find that style of promotion to be a matter of taste. Everyones' is different. If you want to reach the demographic that that style of marketing appeals to, you've gotta speak their language.

Daniel

It's actually funny you mention this...

Last night, I went to a "house show" for WWE...it was a Raw show...

All in all, I had a blast, just hanging out with a buddy of mine and his family, and I especially enjoyed the Diva's match at the beginning...

But, coincidentally, we saw this guy in line wearing an Affliction shirt. So I asked him if he trained in the area, because I was looking for a gym myself...just making conversation. He looked like he was in shape, so I figured maybe this guy will know.

His response..."Oh, yeah, I go to Gold's Gym right down the road from here, man...they got this indoor pool that will kill you."

So I told him that I didn't know Gold's Gym started having an actual MMA class. I mean, I had heard of the Tae-bo classes and junk for cardio, but never an actual MMA trainer at the gym. His response:

"MMA? Oh, you mean like that stuff that comes on pay per view...shoot, no, man!! We ain't tryin' to get kicked around! We just wanna lift weights!"

When I told him that I figured he trained MMA because of the shirt, he tells me that he got it cause it looked cool. He had never actually heard of Affliction before. He thought it was "crazy *** rock band".

Maybe if the shirts had some hint that the company is related to MMA, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But it's just a cool looking shirt to most guys around here.

Jaspthecat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not read the whole thread so aplogies if someone has made this point already.

I love MMA and watching UFC etc the only thing that concerns me is that MMA (on the surface at least) seems to glorify and promote indiscriminate violence through the imagery used on the clothing advertising etc.

eg Cage Rage, Tap Out, violent tendencies etc etc

MMA (in the UK at least) seems to be pulling a reputation that it's only practiced by nutters and hard men, this may note be the case entirely, but due to the image it's bound to draw these type of people in.

In this respect, it is damaging to the MA world as although MAs are tought so essentially you can defeat an aggressor, they also generally teach you respect and restraint. This IMO, seems to be lacking in MMA, shame.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not that it is really hurting anything, but what happened to someone, somewhere wearing a Gi?

Are there rules against that now?

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if I have responded on this or not and I don't plan on reading 170+ responses to find out LOL.

My simple answer is no, MA is MA whether it's Traditional, MMA or whatever form it takes, it's still MA period in my view.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ya know I have to agree with this statement. Aikido, Hapkido, Karate, TKD, Judo, Jap. JJ, and BJJ all wear gi's. It is a time honored tradition. It is the "Prescribed uniform" if you will. I mean gee in the Marines we had a uniform we had to wear and that was it.

I always thought that if you were wearing a singlet or shorts and no shirt then it was wrestling. Period end of story.

The big argument is "Ya can't pull off the same techniques gi and no gi." I say that is crap, you can to......just a slight modification of the technique is all. I have yet to see a throw done in MSK hapkido from the wrist as kuzushi that I don't teach in Judo from a Gi.

Not that it is really hurting anything, but what happened to someone, somewhere wearing a Gi?

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

I don't know if they're against the rules or not, but...

I think it started being a trend, with the idea that it's easier to move and change position both standing and on the ground, and that it gives the opponent less of a weapon to use against the other opponent. Kind of the same way that shoes are no longer worn in the ring.

Although, wearing a Gi would stop arguments from happening like the BJ Penn/Georges St. Pierre fight, where St. Pierre was accused of using vasoline on his back and shoulders to slide out of sub attempts on the ground. It would also add a slight touch of realism to the fight, in that the fighters are wearing something on their upper body, which is more likely to be the case in a real situation.

But I honestly don't know if it's against the rules or not. It would be nice to see.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score

it is currently illegal to wear a gi in any mma competition in america, which i think is unfortunate. it was one of the concessions made in order to get mma sanctioned.

Ya know I have to agree with this statement. Aikido, Hapkido, Karate, TKD, Judo, Jap. JJ, and BJJ all wear gi's. It is a time honored tradition. It is the "Prescribed uniform" if you will. I mean gee in the Marines we had a uniform we had to wear and that was it.

I always thought that if you were wearing a singlet or shorts and no shirt then it was wrestling. Period end of story.

The big argument is "Ya can't pull off the same techniques gi and no gi." I say that is crap, you can to......just a slight modification of the technique is all. I have yet to see a throw done in MSK hapkido from the wrist as kuzushi that I don't teach in Judo from a Gi.

largely the techniques are the same but there are some significant differences. the most obvious being that you lose all your lapel chokes!

i teach gi & no gi. wearing a gi frequently slows things down & gives you an opportunity to see openings you might miss when the action is faster. eventually people start seeing them no-gi as well.

not wearing the gi forces you to be really, really tight on your techniques, especially once the sweat gets going. they each have their advantages, & training one way improves the other as well, imo.

jf

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
it is currently illegal to wear a gi in any mma competition in america, which i think is unfortunate. it was one of the concessions made in order to get mma sanctioned.
Interesting. Do you know the rationale behind this requirement for sanctioning?

Daniel

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i don't; i think it was just in the interest of uniformity. kinda like how boxers aren't allowed to wear long pants.

jf

LordOfWu

Orange Belt
Reaction score

I think many of the more modern MA are not as enamored with the gi. If you look at Krav Maga, or no-gi jj, to name two I have seen. I personally prefer training with a gi, but I don't think it's a mark of a TMA. If you go back to MA that aren't Orient based, thinking Pankration, they pretty much went nude. I think shorts and a rash guard are quite an improvement on that...and I for one am appreciative!

Latest Discussions