Why does martial arts attracts so many nerds? In particular karate and kung fu?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'll probably regret admitting this...but there was a time...way back in college,..... that stuff like this..... actually made sense to me...although now...it might as well be in Russian (русский) or Arabic.(الروسية)

figu3-3_1.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll probably regret admitting this...but there was a time...way back in college,..... that stuff like this..... actually made sense to me...although now...it might as well be in Russian (русский) or Arabic.(الروسية)

figu3-3_1.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

BHVUKve.gif

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
He won't be talking that smack about nerds when someone hits them with a kamehameha

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well I don't know if karate and kung fu attract nerds, but clearly internet forums do.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think "nerd" culture has grown
Let's talk about how to be a true nerd.

- Algebra is like a tree.
- Modern algebra is like a forest.
- Category theory is like a set of forest.

Believe it or not. This is the only course that I took from UT Austin that there was no homework, no mid-term exam, and no final exam. Every students in that class got "A". The teacher said, "If you have courage to take this course, you deserve an A." You just can't find another math course that has higher course number than this. The course number is "981" (while modern algebra is about "301").

If F and G are (covariant) functors between the categories C and D, then a natural transformation η from F to G associates to every object X in C a morphism ηX : F(X) → G(X) in D such that for every morphism f : XY in C, we have ηYF(f) = G(f) ∘ ηX; this means that the following diagram is commutative:

Last edited:

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Three and a bit pages of nerdism, and nobody has mentioned the grammatical error in the thread title that has been bugging me for days.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
No nonsense self-defense? Ah shoot... I was looking for the wacky shenanigans self-defense...

Why do they like karate and Kung Fu? Same reason every other karate/kung practitioner like it. Long history, effective self defense, great for health and fitness and can also be considered an excellent hobby.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
just don't understand why anyone would voluntarily subject themselves to DC when we have Marvel.

DC comics(not the live action cinematic universe) has more complexity to their characters than Marvel does. You can like both, but they have very different styles and character dynamics.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Or more t-shirts ? That and a goOd half of Hollywood's outout is superhero based, so its more main stream, or is your defintion of nerd only baed on them wearing super hero t shirts, ive seen hells angels wearing them, they dont ussualy count as being nerds

The t-shirt was just one example and I used it as a sign/symptom of nerd/geek culture growing. You also have more genres today like Game of Thrones that gets people interested in fantasy that normally aren't. The overall nerd/geek content(movies, shows, comics, etc) has grown thus most people can find something they like.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The t-shirt was just one example and I used it as a sign/symptom of nerd/geek culture growing. You also have more genres today like Game of Thrones that gets people interested in fantasy that normally aren't. The overall nerd/geek content(movies, shows, comics, etc) has grown thus most people can find something they like.
Nearly all films, tv and books are fantasy and always have been, or do you think movies are real? the best selking book of all time, the bible is a work if fantasy, so tell me again how fantasy for the masses is a new tthing

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nearly all films, tv and books are fantasy and always have been, or do you think movies are real? the best selking book of all time, the bible is a work if fantasy, so tell me again how fantasy for the masses is a new tthing
Fantasy is a specific genre, inside of fiction, which I'm certain you already know. And the bible statement is purely an attempt at trolling.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fantasy is a specific genre, inside of fiction, which I'm certain you already know. And the bible statement is purely an attempt at trolling.
Who made that rule up exactly, and are you sugesting talking bushes and angels are not fantasy ? Really, how about brinking people back from the grave ?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Who made that rule up exactly, and are you sugesting talking bushes and angels are not fantasy ? Really, how about brinking people back from the grave ?
It's a very specific defined genre, again, as I'm certain you know. A quick google search shows wikipedia(Fantasy - Wikipedia) and encyclopedia britanica (Fantasy | narrative genre) defining it as a genre on it's own. That comes from fiction by the way (Definitions Of Fiction Categories And Genres - Writers Digest University), so all fantasy would be fiction, not all fiction would be fantasy.
Regarding the bible being fantasy or not, I'm not touching that with a 10 foot pole.

Don't you ever get bored with this? Sometimes you have good things to say, so it's clear you could participate meaningfully when you want, but other times it's clear you just want to get a reaction from people.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a very specific defined genre, again, as I'm certain you know. A quick google search shows wikipedia(Fantasy - Wikipedia) and encyclopedia britanica (Fantasy | narrative genre) defining it as a genre on it's own. That comes from fiction by the way (Definitions Of Fiction Categories And Genres - Writers Digest University), so all fantasy would be fiction, not all fiction would be fantasy.
Regarding the bible being fantasy or not, I'm not touching that with a 10 foot pole.

Don't you ever get bored with this? Sometimes you have good things to say, so it's clear you could participate meaningfully when you want, but other times it's clear you just want to get a reaction from people.
Again who made this rule, fantasy has a common english usage, i can assure you my fantasys dont contain dragons,

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Again who made this rule, fantasy has a common english usage, i can assure you my fantasys dont contain dragons,
And the fantasy genre has a common usage as well, that people know when in reference to tv/movies/books. Im sorry that you cant differentiate context, or accept that context exists, but this argument, like all our arguments is pointless.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Honestly I hate that word. It's just a dumb persons way of insulting someone smarter than them

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We were all lined up outside the dojo earlier, waiting for our CI to open up shop.
60CA4A5F-AADC-4460-88E1-872E0C525157.jpeg

We were feeling all good about ourselves (that’s me in the Who Farted? shirt) when this guy was already in the locker room waiting for us...
1B99F076-94D9-46E8-98BA-7864158B3D01.jpeg

Latest Discussions