Why does karate have better kicks than hands?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen,

While some members here may be hard to understand and or hard to swallow, we as a community need to work together and and not become a pack and pick on people just because someone is different.

Some of the comments posted here, I could report and the posters might believe they were being funny. Yet, in reality they were being just as insulting as the posts they are commenting on.

If you have a problem report it and do not add to the issue yourself.

Please. As an old staff member I would issue a series of warning and or infractions to many within this thread and not just for the poster that people seem to have a problem with.

I am asking that everyone understand that if they respond in jest and or equal anger and feelings they are now also at risk of the system finding them at fault as well.

Also, note, that threats on this board is not tolerated. Be they threats in posts or in private messages or in reports to the staff. That is the easiest way for people to find themselves on the outside looking in for a short or long period or even permanently.

Ask questions. Yes.
Respond and ask for clarification. Yes.
Replying in frustration or anger or even in jest or sarcasm is not always the best approach.

Just a friendly Play nice I guess.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen,

While some members here may be hard to understand and or hard to swallow, we as a community need to work together and and not become a pack and pick on people just because someone is different.

Some of the comments posted here, I could report and the posters might believe they were being funny. Yet, in reality they were being just as insulting as the posts they are commenting on.

Please. As an old staff member I would issue a series of warning and or infractions to many within this thread and not just for the poster that people seem to have a problem with.

I am asking that everyone understand that if they respond in jest and or equal anger and feelings they are now also at risk of the system finding them at fault as well.

Also, note, that threats on this board is not tolerated. Be they threats in posts or in private messages or in reports to the staff. That is the easiest way for people to find themselves on the outside looking in for a short or long period or even permanently.

Ask questions. Yes.
Replying in frustration or anger or even in jest or sarcasm is not always the best approach.

|
I believe the great value of a forum is to challenge each other's thinking. One of the key perspectives I meant to add is the level of intensity, of progression with which one practices karate. Certainly this figures into the T on whether karate hands are good, or better than feet. Otherwise, we speak to vague generalizations that hold for Karateka A but not for Karateka B.
|
On not understanding, I meant to also bring in the perspective that all traditional karate styles can be highly effective. While one poster advanced Kyo as a dominantly effective style, I acknowledged some of the strengths of KYO from my own experience. I also brought in my perspective that a Shotokan Master would in my mind be a very formidable opponent against other's style, and certainly including me. Please explain how respecting & finding the value across the different styles of karate is 'insulting' or 'angry'? How is having such an open, broad & probing opinion into what makes karate 'tick' an issue?
|
I also suggested some 2 commenters create T's about discussion points which came out in the course of the conversation.
|
I'm here to go beyond statements such as I've come across elsewhere that conclude that KYO practitioners can't succeed in MMA because KYO Kumite rules forbid punches to the head. Ridiculous, yet this a common belief among the MMA community.
I
I'm ready to move on to the next topic....

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Ask questions. Yes.

Well said and very valid. I'm involved in this thread so not moderating it unless the need becomes desperate. But I agree with Rich; let's remember that we're supposed to be a friendly forum

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
|
I'm here to go beyond statements such as I've come across elsewhere that conclude that KYO practitioners can't succeed in MMA because KYO Kumite rules forbid punches to the head. Ridiculous, yet this a common belief among the MMA community.

Depends what you mean by kyo guys succeeding. Yes they could be good mma fighters. But their skills would need work.

I can out box my local kyo champion. I cant out wrestle him because he puts work into it. And he would end me pretty quickly kickboxing.

Bit he focuses on what he wants to do. Which for him isnt face punching.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mental "toughness" is an ego-based attitude. Commonly found in sport fighters & killers. Mental discipline is about consciously thinking about doing the right thing, the right way, at the right time. It also involves some dimensions of ethos (ethics) and pathos (caring for others), what differentiates us from animals psychologically, animals being very tough & ruthless when they need to survive.

kind of a semantic difference. But lets suggest that considering mental toughness requires exposure to pain and loss. And that is the opposite of where an ego fighter wants to be. It is not really an ego based attitude.

Just a little background on sports fighters. They train for a fifteen twenty minute fight starting 12 weeks before. At which point they are strictly controlling their diet. Not drinking. Not smoking. Training 6 to 7 days a week. 3 hours a day. Almost all their social activity goes out the window.

Now this is dedication to doing the right thing the right way at the right time all the time.

RowdyAz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In principle I agree, it's just from personal experience in executing punch strikes like a hook (with either horizontal or vertical fist) to the head, in honesty I am more connecting with the majority of my knuckles and I am not connecting with a wrist alignment as often seen in goju ryu punches.

For body and torso rips/hooks I can definitely get the major two knuckles worked into the ribs etc but for head strikes this alignment does not work for me so well...throw some yourself next time training, or maybe you can answer off the bat now, and let me know your take on this and how your mechanics work? Would be keen to know.
Wing chun use the bottom three knuckles. I find as long as it connects it's a good punch

RowdyAz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
kind of a semantic difference. But lets suggest that considering mental toughness requires exposure to pain and loss. And that is the opposite of where an ego fighter wants to be. It is not really an ego based attitude.

Just a little background on sports fighters. They train for a fifteen twenty minute fight starting 12 weeks before. At which point they are strictly controlling their diet. Not drinking. Not smoking. Training 6 to 7 days a week. 3 hours a day. Almost all their social activity goes out the window.

Now this is dedication to doing the right thing the right way at the right time all the time.
As Bas Rutten put it. He used to push himself to the limit once a day for an hour at full pace, his reasoning was if he could last that he could last the much shorter bout. On the other hand Frank Shamrock would train 6 to 8 hours a day to perform the same task. Both legends two different mind sets.

Latest Discussions