So Let Me Get This Straight-- Why Don't We Have New Arts?

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
But why would you take Kudo when you can take MMA instead? I’m willing to bet that there’s more MMA schools in Japan than Kudo dojos.

Okay, so I don't know much about "taking MMA." Is there such a style as "MMA?"

I was always under the impression that MMA fighters had backgrounds in other martial arts, but then trained to hone those styles for the cage.

Is that not always the case?

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score

I was always under the impression that MMA fighters had backgrounds in other martial arts, but then trained to hone those styles for the cage.

Nope Not at all not for a long time

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Many train at MMA gyms. Lots of folks now start their training at such places. MMA could reasonably be considered an umbrella term for somewhat similar systems, like Karate is.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yes. Typically their curriculum is divided between striking and grappling. When you fight, you're encouraged to mix them together.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think we don't need a new Martial Art people joined Martial Art to defend themselves or for exercise if ever one invented a new one that would be great who knows maybe in year 3000 or so will do

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Having a martial art called "MMA" makes zero sense. In fact, it's downright oxymoronic.

If MMA is its own martial art, then it is not "mixed."

They need to call it grapplekickboxing or something, not "MMA."

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Having a style called "MMA" makes zero sense. In fact, it's downright oxymoronic.

At the same time, any hybrid martial art is a mixed martial art. So you could call any martial art that combines two or more arts as a 'mixed martial art' by referring to the origin of said art.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Having a martial art called "MMA" makes zero sense. In fact, it's downright oxymoronic.

It's marketing. People recognize "MMA" so many places use that in order to draw in students. It's also helpful if you're a potential MMA fighter looking for a gym to train at.

BTW, it's shocking how many MMA schools are in Japan now.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yeah yeah. Saying ATM machine or calling an AR a machine gun isn't technically correct either. But it is the world works. People call things stuff.
20 words that once meant something very different

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Names that evolve into place don't always make sense. If a few folks decide they have a great formula for training folks for MMA competition, they could put together a curriculum specific to that aim. Their students wouldn't be training in the base arts, but in an amalgamation of stuff from those arts and the experience of the folks teaching (and those training there, who would help evolve it over time). Can't think of a reason they couldn't be said to be teaching MMA. Over time, that essentially becomes the name for the thing they're teaching. By common MA terms, that's then the name of the "style".

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Because MMA is a sport, the training will continue to evolve. Even if there are MMA schools now, the MMA they teach is different now than it was 10 years ago and will be different 10 years from now. Strategies and techniques will evolve as better ways are created.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

A rose by any other name...

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Different styles use different spellings for the word. "Jiu-jitsu" is actually an older usage, as I understand it.
The-Game-of-Jujitsu-Yukio-Tani-Koizumi-1906__98307.1532734802.jpg

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Names that evolve into place don't always make sense. If a few folks decide they have a great formula for training folks for MMA competition, they could put together a curriculum specific to that aim. Their students wouldn't be training in the base arts, but in an amalgamation of stuff from those arts and the experience of the folks teaching (and those training there, who would help evolve it over time). Can't think of a reason they couldn't be said to be teaching MMA. Over time, that essentially becomes the name for the thing they're teaching. By common MA terms, that's then the name of the "style".
Agree. I have always thought the name is about as accurate as they come. As you say an 'amalgamation of stuff'.

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Feels like every club I've trained at has never been pure this or that, but have added their own flair and unique stuff to it. As though every specific dojo/gym is teaching its own specific interpretation of the art, and there can be infinite creativity in martial arts even in that thought :)

THIS! Folks just don't feel the need to name it after themselves anymore:)

Last edited:
OP
JKDJade

JKDJade

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

100% spot on

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
100% spot on
Names are just names. They evolve from one point to another. If a system evolves from MMA-oriented training, and people commonly call it "MMA", then that is its name, whether it is linguisitically correct or not.

Latest Discussions