Who's the best martial artist in acting right now?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Let me ask everybody a question. Going on the scale we're using, what would you rate yourself?
Not on acting, unless you've acted professionally or been on stage, but in fighting ability?
Jut trying to get a gauge.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If a 1 is no MA skill at all, I'd say I'm an 8 overall. 2 MA and 4 acting.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For myself a 3 MA, no idea for acting. Have not tested myself enough in non-local events to rate higher, but am sure that I have more than a 1 or 2 (Steve, I would be very surprised if you should be rated a 2 for MA).

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
haha a good one. martial ARTists are actors in any way and don't really fight.
combat sportsmen/women are no actors, i guess you meant that. and its clear. everyone of them sucks at acting in movies.

Ruby rose.

images

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
And poor old Steven Seagal never got a mention I'm 29 MA 0 acting. Do I have to join an actors union?

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
hi folks,
i dont know most of the names which were listed here except bruce lee, jackie chan, chuck norris.

but is anyone here seriously saying that scott adkins isn't a real fighter?! come on.

check out the scene at 2:07 EEK!!!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
None of that is fighting though. It's a show reel for a stunt fighter, not unimpressive but not fighting for real in a cage or ring. He is very good at what he does but I can find no fight record for him.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
None of that is fighting though. It's a show reel for a stunt fighter, not unimpressive but not fighting for real in a cage or ring. He is very good at what he does but I can find no fight record for him.
So what? Just because you don't fight professionally doesn't mean you can't fight. So what your saying is anyone on this site who doesn't compete can't fight? Jackie chan never fought, Bruce lee never fought does that they're no good as well

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No, that's not what Tez is saying at all. I'll tell ya, that clip you posted was terrific. I haven't enjoyed watching someone on film like that in a long, long time. (whoever dubbed in that music should be shot, though) That man is seriously fun to watch. I actually said "wow" out loud.

And given his athleticism, technique and pedigree he more than likely can rock and roll with the best of them. But you just can't tell that from a show reel of a stunt fighter. I wouldn't bet against him, though.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So what? Just because you don't fight professionally doesn't mean you can't fight. So what your saying is anyone on this site who doesn't compete can't fight? Jackie chan never fought, Bruce lee never fought does that they're no good as well
Don't worry about Tez's comments. She dosen't know what she is talking about. To her fighting (MMA) is all about entertainment (her words).

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Another one who hasn't come up. Gary Daniels former light heavyweight kickboxing champion he was in the first expendables, he was in a movie with Steve Austin he was in the tekken movie as bryan fury so he's done some good stuff and from what I've seen he's a decent actor and a very good fighter

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
yes the rap music sucks. the vid would have been much better with some heavy music. :)

scott adkins has many videos on youtube. he also has his own channel.

btw, check this out:

damn amazing and also funny (groin punch at 00:50) . i really like adkins. he comes across as a down to earth guy.

these kicks are so insane. imagine he kicks somebody in the face like at 00:16 .
this this would probably be a straight knockout.

i have a few questions:

1)how long can you keep at such a high level i mean agewise? i'm sure that in order to do kicks like that you have to be very fit.
this must be very hard on the body to train like this all the time.

2)i also imagine that the injury risk must be very high especially the knees, right? to me this looks much more dangerous than playing
soccer or basketball cause when they do these different kicks they land on their feet at all kinds of different angles and it's also
much more force. soccer players dont jump through the air like this.

3) what kind of fighting style are adkins and the ninja guy doing? do they mix stuff or is it all from one martial art?

Last edited:
OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What do you think about the guy from The Raid 1 and 2?
Is he good? The fights seem way over the top and very unrealistic but entertaining.

But what's impressive imo is at the beginning of Raid 2 where he punches the wall with an insane speed.
You can see it here. Imo this is the best part of the movie.

Check this out!!! EEK!!!

what's your take on this? is this technically good stuff?
what kind of MA is this?

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So, you have completely misconstrued what I'm saying, you didn't understand it. The man was very, very good at what he was showing us. As I said it's a show reel made for a purpose, I can post show reels for fighters which serve the purpose of proving they can fight, it doesn't show that they use weapons/self defence/choreograph fights for films etc which they may well be able to do. Can he fight? Most likely I wouldn't bet against him being able to but you cannot prove he can fight by using a show reel for film fighting.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you've ever been on a movie set, fight scenes are interesting to watch. Good second unit directors and cameramen know which angles to film what techniques. Then, a good editor takes over.
But it's film, it has nothing whatsoever to do with fighting. A good film crew could make any of us here look the balls.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
why should adkins not be able to fight?
he probably didnt learn this stuff at home in his basement lol.
he trains in dojos like anybody else. now if he cant fight then probably
all other people in dojos cannot fight either. i also doubt that many people
here can do kicks like he does.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

There is a big difference between movie-fu and actually fighting. A number of your posts give the impression that this is a concept that gives you difficulty.
Choreography, camera angles, editing and stand ins can make anyone look like Billy Badass on a screen.
The wall clip you posted, for example. Want to make someone look like that they have inhuman speed? Shoot the film at a high frame per second rate. Now go edit it. Remove every 5th frame. Boom. They just got 20% faster.
Note also that his hands are quite close to the wall the entire time. That's conducive to fast tapping, like someone playing bongos with their hands. It's not conducive to any real power in a strike. But who needs a powerful strike when you can just build the wall out of crackers?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Lots of people in dojos can't fight, it is an unfortunate problem.

I have met also lots of people who are great at trick kicking that haven't put any time on the sparring floor to actually get the timing and setups to apply those kicks. Maybe he can fight, but his video certainly doesn't prove any such thing.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What do you think about the guy from The Raid 1 and 2?
Is he good? The fights seem way over the top and very unrealistic but entertaining.

But what's impressive imo is at the beginning of Raid 2 where he punches the wall with an insane speed.
You can see it here. Imo this is the best part of the movie.

Check this out!!! EEK!!!

what's your take on this? is this technically good stuff?
what kind of MA is this?

Latest Discussions