Who's the best martial artist in acting right now?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jet li is possible: i would give him a 8 or 9 acting, but don't know what his actual MA skill is. If he is 9 Acting, 6 MA that gets him 54 AxM, or if he's 8 Acting 7 MA that gets him a 56 AxM

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jet li is possible: i would give him a 8 or 9 acting, but don't know what his actual MA skill is. If he is 9 Acting, 6 MA that gets him 54 AxM, or if he's 8 Acting 7 MA that gets him a 56 AxM
It depends on your opinion of performance wushu as a martial art. Apparently he has won a number of gold medals in Chinese wushu championships, but those are oriented towards artistic performance of forms rather than indicating anything about actual fighting ability. If you count that sort of competition as martial arts, then he should be worthy of at least a 6 or 7.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Eh, disagreement there then. I was also being a bit generous to attempt to get someone past the 50 mark
LOL. That's how grade inflation starts... skewing the scale to chase a particular score.

But I'm looking at Tony's scale as he described it, where a 2 is twice as good as a 1, and a 3 is twice is good as a 2 and 4x as good as a 1 ("good" being very subjective). I think Jet Li is a good actor, but not one who is among the elites in that area. I think he's a solid 5, but as you say, this is just my opinion in an admittedly subjective area. :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I ranked Ed O'Neil = 35 AxM (7 Martial Arts x 5 Acting).

I agree with you about acting, but I think he's a character actor all the way.

Tony, I think you're pretty close with Donnie Yen.

Ronda Rousey = 18 AxM (9 MA and 2 Acting)
Gina Carano = 7 AxM (7 MA and 1 Acting)
Mickey Rourke = 20 AxM (5 Acting and 4 MA)

I agree, O'Neil's a character actor, darn good one, too. I just googled him. Net worth of 45 mil. That's some nice work if you can get it. :)

I like Gina Carano and Rhonda both. I think I might give them a 1 combined in the acting compartment, though. I mean, Rhonda plays the Rhonda type well.

Poor Mickey Rourke, he had it all going for him at one time.
One of my students, who is now a stunt coordinator, was Mickey's stunt man for most of Mickey's early career.

Heard all great things about Donnie Yen. Read about him, seen some clips - but I don't know if I've ever actually seen one of his movies. I gotta' get out more.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
LOL. That's how grade inflation starts... skewing the scale to chase a particular score.

But I'm looking at Tony's scale as he described it, where a 2 is twice as good as a 1, and a 3 is twice is good as a 2 and 4x as good as a 1 ("good" being very subjective). I think Jet Li is a good actor, but not one who is among the elites in that area. I think he's a solid 5, but as you say, this is just my opinion in an admittedly subjective area. :)
If I avoid inflating, i'd still give him a 7. if he is a 6 or 7 MA-wise, that leaves him in the 40s

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
you all still confuse martial arts with combat sports.
i think so: li, chan, yen > martial artists and therefore actors, not fighters.
rousey, rutten, tyson > fighters but not actors. while bas rutten don't act that bad in his comedy roles.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
you all still confuse martial arts with combat sports.
i think so: li, chan, yen > martial artists and therefore actors, not fighters.
rousey, rutten, tyson > fighters but not actors. while bas rutten don't act that bad in his comedy roles.
You seem to constantly think that any martial artist is a performer or actor and only combat sports learn to fight. Not sure where you got that idea but just because you keep repeating it doesn't make it true.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
uhm it comes from experience.
sure there might be maists who also train to fight but most of them are just... actors.
thats what communist china made out of it.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
uhm it comes from experience.
sure there might be maists who also train to fight but most of them are just... actors.
thats what communist china made out of it.
For wushu yes, not for other martial arts. And Wushu is the only one china had an effect on AFAIK

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
but they also made martial arts big with their films. :D it just fits good to the topic.

which martial arts actors do we know who competed in a fighting style? chuck norris and van damme in their karate styles, i think of spontanously. jet li was competing in wushu forms or such, so not in fighting.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
but they also made martial arts big with their films. :D it just fits good to the topic.

which martial arts actors do we know who competed in a fighting style? chuck norris and van damme in their karate styles, i think of spontanously. jet li was competing in wushu forms or such, so not in fighting.
Ok, I think I misunderstood you initially. I'll agree about wushu, thought you were suggesting that all TMA/CMA's are not fighting styles

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only problem with Robert Downey Jr is his instructor, Eric Oram.
Oram seems a little Star Struck to me. And being a William Cheung student, Oram is lacking in ability.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The only problem with Robert Downey Jr is his instructor, Eric Oram.
Oram seems a little Star Struck to me. And being a William Cheung student, Oram is lacking in ability.
Hell of an actor, though. :)

Couple of others came to mind, thinking about samurai movies:

Toshiro Mifune - 6 actor x 8 martial arts - 48 AxM I don't actually know how great of a martial artist he was, but I am guessing he was very well trained, and his acting was solid.

Hiroyuki Sanada - 9 actor x 8 MA - 72 AxM - Like Mifune, I'm not sure what ACTUAL training he has in MA, but I'm guessing he's well trained in actual martial arts. He's an EXCELLENT actor, who has done really good work in roles that have no MA component at all. I'd say, if we're looking for a guy who breaks the 50 AxM scale, it's this guy. He has been great in some recent films, but his acting in Twilight Samurai was outstanding.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cynthia Rothrock. She can't act her way out of a wet paper bag but she looks pretty decent. 7X2.