Martial artists who inspire you

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So I was wondering what martial artists have inspired or motivated you. It can be movie stars professional fighters or just your instructor.

For me I know it's the cliche choice but mainly Bruce lee I only heard of him after I started training but just how fast and agile he was was amazing to me. More recently I've been getting interested in Michael jai whites stuff. A guy who's in great shape and very skilled

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
The power rangers. Bruce Lee and my sifu. I am in general inspired anytime I see very talented ones.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh wow, how much time you got? There's been a lot.

OP
K

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Joe Lewis
Joe Lewis is an interesting one I admire him for his abilities and his attitude about hard training but quite honestly from what I've read from him the guys a jerk to full of himself I read an interview in combat magazine and he in that interview in some subtle some not so subtle ways insulted Bruce lee chuck Norris bill Wallace and mike stone and those are guys he was friends with

OP
K

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So your asking people who inspire them just to knock them down then..... okie dokie
It's called an opinion sorry if you don't like it....actually no I'm not I said I don't like the guy as a person but I did also say he was a great martial artist and I'm assuming that's what the guy gets inspired from i simply said my opinion because as a martial artist he inspires me but not as a person it's not like I'm saying "what the hell why would you like him he sucks

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It's called an opinion sorry if you don't like it....actually no I'm not I said I don't like the guy as a person but I did also say he was a great martial artist and I'm assuming that's what the guy gets inspired from i simply said my opinion because as a martial artist he inspires me but not as a person it's not like I'm saying "what the hell why would you like him he sucks

No, I have no problem with the opinion, it was just the first person to answer you with a name, you attacked that persons choice, that is all. Did not mean to get in the way

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Joe Lewis is an interesting one I admire him for his abilities and his attitude about hard training but quite honestly from what I've read from him the guys a jerk to full of himself I read an interview in combat magazine and he in that interview in some subtle some not so subtle ways insulted Bruce lee chuck Norris bill Wallace and mike stone and those are guys he was friends with

Joe was a nice guy. He wasn't all warm and fuzzy, but that's more to what the state of the Martial Arts was like back in his time. To anyone not in the arts - he was as sweet to them as anyone could be.

He used to stay at my house anytime he was in town. I learned as much about fighting in my kitchen as I did in the dojo with him.

2eauxxw.jpg

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Joe Lewis , to my understanding was great man. He did criticize other martila rtists, but that doesn't make him a bad person. As a martial artist he is inspiring to me. Everyone knows Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee, but not many people know Joe Lewis. He was just as good, if not better. I think he just didn't get as much Hollywood Hype. He had a crazy defensive side kick, would destroy people with it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Do you really think it's fair to make such a judgement about him as a person based on so little actual information? An article you once read is enough to decide you don't like him as a person?
So... I'm a Corvette guy. Let's say I read an article once, in which you said something nice about Mustangs. Should that be enough for me to decide that you're the scum of the earth, and that you probably should not be allowed within 100 yards of children?

Incidentally, I say things to and about my friends all the time that an outsider might consider insults. I think many (most?) people do this to some extent.

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sunday Morning Kung Fu Theater in the late 70's early 80's ---> Pretty much every individual performing in them.....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Incidentally, I say things to and about my friends all the time that an outsider might consider insults. I think many (most?) people do this to some extent.

That's a very British habit lol. :D

OP
K

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Joe was a nice guy. He wasn't all warm and fuzzy, but that's more to what the state of the Martial Arts was like back in his time. To anyone not in the arts - he was as sweet to them as anyone could be.

He used to stay at my house anytime he was in town. I learned as much about fighting in my kitchen as I did in the dojo with him.

2eauxxw.jpg
Okay fair enough if you knew the guy and again I'm not questioning his abilities but that's just the impression I got from him from various things I've read but hey if Im wrong I'm wrong I'll admit it

Latest Discussions