Van Damme being REAL!

jasonbrinn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Came across this video of Van Damme at a highly emotional point in his life. He just received some news that he is not getting to do Bloodsport 2 because they think he is too old. This sends him into a rage and he shares honestly about a lot of things.

Although I hate popularizing someone at such a vulnerable time, the video does give a rare look into a real person who also just happens to be a real Martial Arts Icon.

It may not be in style now, and I know the man has had his issues (who of us haven't) I still think he is really cool and I'm a fan;

Jason Brinn

Last edited by a moderator:

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
well we shall see. I can say I would rather fight a younger man then an older man who is well trained. with the same training, the old man is more dangerous.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Whatever people may say regarding JCVD, either personally or as a martial artist, Blood Sport and a few of his other movies kicked-a*! and introduced a lot of people to the martial arts and he should hold a slot in the martial art movie hall of fame for that (like it or not, he is a MA icon and one of the big names alongside Norris, Chan, Lee in the MA movie world and I think he deserves that). I think he could definitely do the sequel if the story was done correctly. Like the most recent Rocky Balboa movie, which correctly/cleverly built around "Rocky's" age and limitations and what strengths he had, Blood Sport II could still be a good vehicle for JCVD if come at from the same kind of angels.

I don't normally go for this fly-on the wall doco stuff but nice to see he genuinely feels the loss of his dog and talking bird all those years ago when he was first making his way.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also enjoy Jean Claude Van Damme movies. Kind of a guilty pleasure I guess. The acting isn't always the best and larger than life jump spinning kicks are often very obviously staged. But heck, it's entertainment and I enjoy it.

I won't judge him. Everybody has the occasional bad day and says or does something they might normally not say or do. Poor guy just did it in front of a camera.

Plenty of people have mastered an art but have yet to master themselves, that takes a lifetime.

Last edited:

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
But there are already Bloodsport sequels part 2, 3 and 4. Starred JCVD lookalike/soundalike Daniel Bernheart. Ok, so he's Swiss (so he's still got the fruity accent and trained in Kung Fu) but I liked those also, besides, he played a different character. Plus he was also in the old Mortal Kombat tv series.

Bloodsport 2 quarterfinal fight -
Final Fight - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWRZFElRqbc&feature=relmfu

Bloodsport 3 final fight -

Bloodsport 4 final fight

As for JC himself. I love the guy and wish him the best. I would love to hear of them slotting him into Bloodsport because it's his movie. I will also add that there were 2 Universal Soldier movies with Matt Bataglia playing the Luc role. But JCVD is in the last 3 so they can work around it. Universal Soldier 3 Regeneration is by far my favorite of the lot.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever people may say regarding JCVD, either personally or as a martial artist, Blood Sport and a few of his other movies kicked-a*! and introduced a lot of people to the martial arts and he should hold a slot in the martial art movie hall of fame for that (like it or not, he is a MA icon and one of the big names alongside Norris, Chan, Lee in the MA movie world and I think he deserves that). I think he could definitely do the sequel if the story was done correctly. Like the most recent Rocky Balboa movie, which correctly/cleverly built around "Rocky's" age and limitations and what strengths he had, Blood Sport II could still be a good vehicle for JCVD if come at from the same kind of angels.

I don't normally go for this fly-on the wall doco stuff but nice to see he genuinely feels the loss of his dog and talking bird all those years ago when he was first making his way.

I agree that he does indeed hold a spot in this venue of the arts. It was nice to see him passionate and real. Seems like he's growing closer to the Lord from some of his comments.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
For those who don't know, that clip is from the British "Behind Closed Doors" TV series that followed JCVD around for a while. It really was quite interesting just seeing what he does on a daily basis.

Personally I am a big JCVD fan and have been since I was quite young. Bloodsport is my all-time favorite movie and his spot as one of the greatest martial arts movie stars has long been cemented as far as I'm concerned.

It's great to see Van Damme getting a recent boost in recognition and popularity. I had come to the conclusion that the idea of any more big roles for him was probably a pipe dream and it would be straight-to-video films from here on out. But then he did JCVD which garnered him much critical acclaim and gained a limited theatrical release. Then he voiced a character in Kung Fu Panda 2. And right now he is in The Expendables 2 (and is the coolest character in the movie, in my opinion).

Always supporting Van Damme!

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
For those who don't know, that clip is from the British "Behind Closed Doors" TV series that followed JCVD around for a while. It really was quite interesting just seeing what he does on a daily basis.

Personally I am a big JCVD fan and have been since I was quite young. Bloodsport is my all-time favorite movie and his spot as one of the greatest martial arts movie stars has long been cemented as far as I'm concerned.

It's great to see Van Damme getting a recent boost in recognition and popularity. I had come to the conclusion that the idea of any more big roles for him was probably a pipe dream and it would be straight-to-video films from here on out. But then he did JCVD which garnered him much critical acclaim and gained a limited theatrical release. Then he voiced a character in Kung Fu Panda 2. And right now he is in The Expendables 2 (and is the coolest character in the movie, in my opinion).

Always supporting Van Damme!

Ya know, This is the one part that really jumped out at me. Generally I'm not a fan of fight movies, Bloodsport is a special movie though.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
I can probably count on one hand (definitely two) the things that REALLY got me interested in martial arts and Bloodsport is one of them. When I was a kid and that movie would come on TV I was absolutely GLUED to the screen. I'd get all kinds of special tingly feelings watching Van Damme jump, spin, punch and kick his way to victory. It was like a 50cc shot of motivation to train.

I've seen that movie so many times at this point that I've just worn it out. I remember being like 11 years old and wanting to get it on VHS. But it was $20 and I never had the money and obviously I didn't have a job at that time. Eventually I found a friend who loaned me a copy of it that was recorded off of HBO and he never got that cassette back.

In my opinion, Bloodsport, Kickboxer and Double Impact make up the triumvirate of absolute MUST SEE Van Damme films, with Bloodsport leading the pack.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not really a JCVD fan. In my opinion, anything he does as a martial arts actor, at least someone else does it much better. I don't wish the guy any ill will though.

I think one of the best roles he's done has been in the Expendables 2. He plays a good bad guy.

MilkManX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I also thought he was fantastic in Expendables 2 and if you have not seen it yet check out the film JCVD.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked JCVD movies back in the day and enjoyed Bloodsport and his various other movies. But I also think some people should just retire gracefully before they become tragic, like Madonna, still a great entertainer, but should really move on imo. Step aside and maybe work on production and choreography rather than be the star.

Bikewr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think of the guy as essentially an actor who looks good doing choreographed MA moves. I'm old enough to remember the martial arts press when he burst upon the scene way back when.
He was being billed as a "kickboxing champion" back then.
unfortunately, folks did some digging and couldn't find a single match or competition he'd been in, much less won.

The same sort of thing happened with Seagal...His "people" claimed he had studied aikido in Japan directly under Ueshiba. The aikido foundation issued a rather terse statement..."No, he didn't."

OP
jasonbrinn

jasonbrinn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think of the guy as essentially an actor who looks good doing choreographed MA moves. I'm old enough to remember the martial arts press when he burst upon the scene way back when.
He was being billed as a "kickboxing champion" back then.
unfortunately, folks did some digging and couldn't find a single match or competition he'd been in, much less won.

The same sort of thing happened with Seagal...His "people" claimed he had studied aikido in Japan directly under Ueshiba. The aikido foundation issued a rather terse statement..."No, he didn't."

Like much of public opinion and accepted thought - this is wrong I am happy to report.

1. Van Damme is the real thing despite what people want to believe;

2. Seagal's training may not have included Ueshiba but one would be hard pressed to find another foreigner with his true training record.

Thank you,

Jason Brinn