Who is David Schultz?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with you to a point. However, you may like someone's advice but how do you know it is good advice. Example if I told you that eating 1 Kilo of chocolate will actually help you lose weight so you should do it, you may like that advice, but now ask me about my credentials in weight loss management. None...zip...nadda...zero. For all you know I may have gotten that advice from the Hershey website. So sometimes credentials are important in order to figure out once experience on the subject matter.

Would you really take an opinion about how to use a katana sword from someone who has only watched the Last Samurai movie and based his knowledge off of that? While there is some insight that does not need credentials established, I believe there is other insights that do require a bit of backing in order to have an opinion be taken seriously.

I wouldn't ask any of these questions on a public forum. As much as I love MT I wouldn't expect to have those answered here, if you read any medical thread here you will find posters telling the OP to go see a doctor. I wouldn't ask these questions on the internet either. Qualifications are important however these are found in real life not on forums.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I understand you want to know who people are but it's not how it works, you can accept that people like to post anonymously or you can ignore them. Making them out to be 'shady' just because they want their privacy is unfair.

As I said though, if they answer frankly "I don't want to say" then I can accept that. It's when people non-answer answer that makes me want to chase for an answer one way or the other.

There is no doubt you aren't a troll and you post honestly but I think some of the American's arguments are leading you off course. It has little relevance to the subject being discussed who the person is frankly, it's the internet. If you agree with an opinion you agree with it whoever makes it. I hope you aren't saying that you only agree with people who have 'status'? For myself I read it and will agree or not, regardless of who the person is. I don't find out who they are before making my mind up.

If it's an opinion post, then I am 100% in agreement - you can agree/disagree regardless of their rank/experience.

However, what about if they are posting something as fact. Is their background not important in that case in determining how much weight you give their opinion initially? If someone said "The Multi-verse Taekwondance Federation has really shady certification practices" do you not think it would help you put the comment in context if that person is a high ranking MTF member and has experience of people being given unusual rank or if they are a disgruntled student who failed a test under the MTF.

It's not to say either is wrong, but it helps to know where people are coming from when they say things.

Again, just my opinion.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you agree with an opinion you agree with it whoever makes it. I hope you aren't saying that you only agree with people who have 'status'? For myself I read it and will agree or not, regardless of who the person is. I don't find out who they are before making my mind up.
Well I take people's opinion who have experience on the subject a lot more seriously than those who make snap judgment based on one person's research or watching a couple of Youtube clips. For example, I value your opinion on MMA type settings based on the fact you do more reality based martial arts training. Now if you were to chime in on Hung-gar Kung Fu and speak about how a school does not train correctly in the art, based on just watching a class, and you personally have not trained in it, then no, I am not really going to consider that. Some opinions need credibiltiy to be taken seriously.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I said though, if they answer frankly "I don't want to say" then I can accept that. It's when people non-answer answer that makes me want to chase for an answer one way or the other.

If it's an opinion post, then I am 100% in agreement - you can agree/disagree regardless of their rank/experience.

However, what about if they are posting something as fact. Is their background not important in that case in determining how much weight you give their opinion initially? If someone said "The Multi-verse Taekwondance Federation has really shady certification practices" do you not think it would help you put the comment in context if that person is a high ranking MTF member and has experience of people being given unusual rank or if they are a disgruntled student who failed a test under the MTF.

It's not to say either is wrong, but it helps to know where people are coming from when they say things.

Again, just my opinion.

I take everything in that vein with a pinch of salt and don't get into conversation with them, if they say anything I do is pants then I will put them right. Inter organisational feuds aren't my thing, they can argue it out till they are blue in the face, if they want to chunter online fine but I don't take anything like that seriously. It's the internet after all. :)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The bottom line here is simple:
We don't wish to rehash the crapfest from 2003, and given our current staffing, demands on our personal time, and all that, we're more likely to bust heads and be done with it, rather than give folks 10,000,000,000 e23 chances at maybe hopefully kinda fitting into the rules.

If you think the subject warrants it, open -1- thread in the "Investigations" forum, and keep it all there.
That's it's purpose.
Don't start a half dozen threads on little bits, don't disrupt other threads by constantly making demands for whatever, and so forth.
Beyond that, unless Mr. Schultz is a convicted sex offender, child molester, convicted scam artist, spammer or a member of the TSA he is welcome here so long as he complies with our posted rules. This goes for almost everyone.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you Bob, I appreciate the welcome. And I also want to say a very sincere thank you for those that have had a kind word for me in this and other threads. It is not my wish to prolong this thread, or any dispute with anyone but a few things need to be stated. First to Andy, back when Glenn aka Puunui started a similar thread it was closed before I had the opportunity to reply. Anyone that has followed this section knows that Glenn and I aren't chummy with each other. So be it. The point is that I did not have an opporutunity to reply before the thread was locked. So I began the thread on my own board and invited the parties involved to join. Jeremy did, Glenn did not. So be it. At the time, I could not pm Glenn and he refused to respond to emails (I wanted to make sure he knew of the threads existence and had every opportunity to join). I asked the mod staff if I could make an invitational post in the locked thread since I didn't have the chance to do it myself. I was told that doing so violated the rules of MT, specifically 3.3.8 Forum Promotion / Linking. Otherwise I'd have put the link on weeks ago and any and all could have viewed/joined in. As I have nothing to hide, the more the merrier. So as a point to note, the link is in this thread and any/all are invited but I did not violate the rule posted above. MW is a teeny-tiny MA board that isn't meant to be in competition with MT or any other board. We've had several hundred members over the years, but the new board (the fourth version of MW) is a small tight-knit group. Again, all are welcome, but it isn't meant to be in competition with MT. I wanted to make that clear.

Lastly, I never ducked the question in the other thread Andy, my only point that it was off topic and I was singled out from amoungst many other posters. You can rationalize your feelings all you like, I disagree and think in all instances it was in poor taste. Some of which clearly had an agenda behind it. That isn't even a question. Regardless, it is what it is. I have never defrauded anyone of anything. My students have sought me out from the four surrounding counties and these days I don't even charge a penny. And I've never charged a testing fee and I've promoted up to and including the master ranks. If someone...anyone doesn't like me claiming 7th Dan after nearly 40 years of not only training and teaching the arts but also using them on an almost daily basis against real bad guys then all I can say is....don't. Also, I have my own view on some things in the KMA's that don't line up with what others may think or feel. But I try to express it as professionally and as truthfully as I can and back it up to the best of my ability. That is the right of any poster on any board. If someone doesn't like my views on some subjects and can't separate the opinion from the person...nothing I can do about that.

Peace

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're done with this now?:tank:

there's no reason I've used the tank..I've wanted to for a while but never found the right post! This seems as good as any. If it's at all relevant a couple of my students are tankies lol.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hadn't and the reason is simple. The original question/"answer" was in a public forum so the proper answer should be there.

It happens all too often in the past where a question gets asked and the reply is "Sent you a PM". It irritates me, it's a public discussion, post the answer for all to see.

I can understand that. I guess I just feel that sometimes people may prefer not to open up answers to public discussion. I can accept that even if I think they need not worry. If you don't like that, that is your right.

Of course, part of my problem is being new enough on this board and not knowing the apparent history of desires to "out" Kong Soo Do, by whatever name. I haven't gone looking for reasons for that, not having run across then shouting out at me. FWIW, from the apparent threads of the past, were I Kong Soo Do, I might feel the same way. You sir, of course, do not have to agree with me.

Latest Discussions