Who are your favorite WC/WT/VT fighters?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The title of this thread may be a bit misleading, since I'm not aware of any really prominent WC sport fighters involved in competitions like UFC. Still, we all know that some practitioners gear their training more towards practical fighting, while others focus more on the "finesse" side of the art, emphasising things like refining chi-sau more than sparring. Both sides are important, and both have always existed. Grandmaster Ip Man's first teacher, Chan Wah Shun was a ferocious and powereful fighter in his prime. His second teacher, Leung Bic was no slouch to be sure, but was more of a refined practitioner. Great Wing Chun combines both.

So that said, who do you feel are the roughest WC fighters of our times. Who's the Chan Wah Shun, the "Wah the Wooden Man", of today? And, if they are little known, can you post a youtube clip? Anything where they strut their stuff?

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sport, Alan Orr and Aaron Baum because they got balls and have a wonderful 7 DVD set on HOW they are applying WC to MMA. Some of Sifu Grados guys too. Practical self defense and overall mastery of the art? My Wing Chun Sifu's and the senior students in my class, and Emin Boztepe hands down and in that order.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Danny Chan in Tucson, Arizona. He is my si-hing. He does not fight any more
but practices and from time to time teaches at the Fong School.
Danny won practically every Karate and all styles contact tournaments in Arizona and nearby in the 70's. He also won the wing chun tournament at Jeff Bolt's martial arts extravaganza in Houston around 1990. What he does is all wing chun.

He is a math teacher at a public school.His son does not do wing chun but is gifted athlete and represented the US in volleyball.Because of his pak sao Danny was no slouch himself in spiking a volleyball.

joy chaudhuri.

Mark Jordan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'd say Dan Henderson - the only MMA to hold two titles in two different weight classes.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The roughest wing chun fighter I know is Kevin Chan. He can fight, and fight well (he grew up in Glasgow and Portsmouth!!)

Technical masters of wing chun have to go through to people like Ip Chun, Sam Kwok etc. I could never imagine them as fighters, but they have very great knowledge of the intracacies of chun (plus the experience)

Master Chan is extremely proficient in the technical side of wing chun (he is very passionate about technique over power etc) and would also credit him with the title of ultimate chunner

coffeerox

Green Belt
Reaction score
Duncan Leung for not losing his challenge matches (and locked-in matches)

Hawkins Cheung and Bruce Lee for picking fights on the street and joining other martial arts schools to act like they're training and then pissing them off and using Wing Chun on them

William Cheung for beating 10 sailors in a locked room

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Duncan Leung for not losing his challenge matches (and locked-in matches)

Hawkins Cheung and Bruce Lee for picking fights on the street and joining other martial arts schools to act like they're training and then pissing them off and using Wing Chun on them

William Cheung for beating 10 sailors in a locked room

This can be a pretty subjective topic. Some of whom get listed in this thread may not even be know or famous to everyone. I could name 3 people right off the bat that probably aren't well known. But in the Wing Chun circles I frequent, they are big dogs.

I have to agree with coffeerox on Hawkins Cheung Sifu and Duncan Leung Sifu. I've heard stories from people who know them firsthand. Especially Hawkins Cheung Sifu, he's a tough fighter and a little guy to boot. Lends a good reputation to himself and Wing Chun. And my first Wing Chun sifu was a student of Duncan Leung Sifu and he praised him highly for his fighting skills.

As for Bruce Lee, I heard he was a great fighter. My sifu grew up in the same neighborhood and said he saw Bruce Lee get into a fight every day. And always won. That's why he took Wing Chun.

As for William Cheung, I can't say. All I know is what I've read in the magazines.

Favorite WC fighters? Well, I can name several. I know for a fact my Sifu (Francis Fong) was/is an awesome fighter, having grown up back in Hong Kong. As I stated, he lived in the same neighborhood as Bruce Lee. I've heard stories from some of his kung fu brothers. And he is currently a well known instructor, doing seminars through out the U.S. and some in Europe.

SiBak Jason Lau, born and raised in Hong Kong. He is currently the reigning Grandmaster of the Jiu Wan lineage of Wing Chun.

Then there is Sihing Eddie Camden (Tiger Academy in Atlanta), great Wing Chun fighter before he began training and teaching BJJ. He teaches Wing Chun at his academy, but only to his advanced students. You can google his name and find a little bit about him.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are some pretty tough guys coming out of Europe, but all I know is what I hear from friends and see on Youtube. Keith Kernspecht's EWTO has produced several really tough guys. Some have have left and gone off on their own. Guys like Victor Gutierrez... although I don't really like the look of his "Wing Revolution" system he's developed. Still, he's like a Wing Chun raging bull! Others out of Europe seem to emphasize speed and technique more.

Here in the States, I remain very impressed by Emin Boztepe. As he ages, he is as explosive and tough as ever.... and increasingly smart and versatile. I guess I'd give him my vote for the "Wah the Wooden Man" of our time... based on what I've seen so far. Of course, a lot of times the best choose to remain hidden!

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How come no one voted for me? lol

I did roll around on the floor laughing when I heard about William cheung and 10 sailors. Or was it more like a construction worker, a policeman, an indian.....

Its interesting to see some old guys make the list as well as fresher faces. Europe has a lot of 'hidden' talent. I could name a handful of very tough chunners from just London alone. But travelling around, you get to see some very talented guys all over the shop. Sadly, there is no way of quantifying who the toughest fighter would be

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
How come no one voted for me? lol

I did roll around on the floor laughing when I heard about William cheung and 10 sailors. Or was it more like a construction worker, a policeman, an indian.....

Sooo ... are you implying that he HUNG out with the Village People and he could be ... (fill in the blank).:lfao:

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
lmao..../\

actually laughed out loud at this, everyone in the house wanted to know why..... and you just had to be there lol
matsu

Nick Stanovic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am not sure about winning in competitive fights but I've seen lots of footage of Samuel Kwok and I think he is amazing - too bad he is in Europe.

Rion

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For me it has to be Bruce Lee, not because he is a good fighter because of his attitude when he fights, that sound he does when he hits someone that's one of the reasons i wanted to take up MA.

And the look, can't forget the look.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For me it has to be Bruce Lee...

Yeah, I was a huge Bruce Lee fan too, but he's been gone a long time...nearly forty years. And even if he were still alive, he'd be one of the old guard, in his seventies... and the GM of JKD, not WC. I'm interested who are best of the next generation, representing the art today.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bruce Lee, Sigung Samuel Kwok, Ip Chun, Ip Ching, James Sinclair & my sifu.

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
here several of my picks; Sifu Tam Hung Fun,he was a trainer of fighters,
Sifu Victor Gutierrez,from what I can tell,he is all fight.My number one pick would be Sifu Emin Boztepe,the best way that I can describe him,is to liken him to a human capacitor charged with a million volts,you know the potential is there (well besides what he can effectively demonstrate).Sifu Casey packs a pretty mean punch,I have no doubt as to his ability.Bruce Lee was in a class of his own,I am sure there are many more.

Gurokevin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would have to say Sifu Wong Shun Leung. He used to take part in Beimo (challenge matches) all the time to test his VT. He was called ‘Gong Sau Wong’ (“King of Talking Hands”).