Leung Jan's original art

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thought I would resurrect this old thread because it has some bearing on recent discussions. Some interesting information from Dave Cox at the beginning of the thread. Dave has trained in White Crane.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thought I would resurrect this old thread because it has some bearing on recent discussions. Some interesting information from Dave Cox at the beginning of the thread. Dave has trained in White Crane.

Wish Dave would post here still...he seemed like a very knowledgeable individual.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wish Dave would post here still...he seemed like a very knowledgeable individual.
------------------------------------
I forget and don't care to go back. Wasn't Dave talking about Tibetan white crane which is far different from Fujian white crane?

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
------------------------------------
I forget and don't care to go back. Wasn't Dave talking about Tibetan white crane which is far different from Fujian white crane?

Yes. Dave's style was Tibetan White Crane. But he had researched and was very knowledgeable about Fujian White Crane as well. His info about Leung Jan's family running a military academy is something I thought Guy might find interesting. I'm not sure what Dave's source is, because I've never heard that information from anywhere else.

Dave also does Vietnamese Wing Chun. This gives him a somewhat unique perspective and interesting things to say! I wish he still came around as well!

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes. Dave's style was Tibetan White Crane. But he had researched and was very knowledgeable about Fujian White Crane as well. His info about Leung Jan's family running a military academy is something I thought Guy might find interesting. I'm not sure what Dave's source is, because I've never heard that information from anywhere else.

Dave also does Vietnamese Wing Chun. This gives him a somewhat unique perspective and interesting things to say! I wish he still came around as well!
------------------------------------------------------
Apart from direction-less chit chat-what's the point?

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score

A bit random. But I just was looking through posts about Lo Kwai and I came across one saying you happened to meet up with that Lo Kwai lineage guy. May I ask how was it and how similar was it to your current HKM wing chun ? Allgood if its a private thing you do not want to share though.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

Isn't that what usually takes place on a forum? Isn't that what we are all here for? Why do you come here?

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Yuen Kay Shan's older brother moved to Viet nam and introduced wing chun. His wing chun began to vary between Hanoi and Saigon versions. Some students began to mix other movements with their wing chun.
Dave's comments would be helpful.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A bit random. But I just was looking through posts about Lo Kwai and I came across one saying you happened to meet up with that Lo Kwai lineage guy. May I ask how was it and how similar was it to your current HKM wing chun ? Allgood if its a private thing you do not want to share though.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scratching my head. Don't seem to remember the name Lo Kwai.

ivanr

White Belt
Reaction score
... When you look at Sum Nun's student's Wing Chun and you look at Mei Gei Wong Wing Chun they are very similar. Wong Nim Yei's father learned from Yuen Kay Shan. No Cheung Bo influence that I've read!..

Hi KPM,

i am sorry, that is not correct. Father ("Mai Gei Wong" Wong Wu Fong) of my teacher (Wong Nim Yi) has at first trained with Kwok Wan Ping, who was at that time student of Wong Jing and today is living in Hong Kong, who introduced him to Wong Jing. Later Kwok Wan Ping started with Sam Nang. "Mai Gei Wong" later started learn from Sam Nang too (more Wong Jings students, some of them later learned from "Mai Gei Wong") and later from several others (Pan Chao to name one of them), but not Yun Key Saan...
So no wonder there are similar (Mai Gei Wong and Sam Nang) in their WingChun...
I know, that is not about Yun Key Saans wingchun but Leung Jaans, but - i am always during all my trips to China/Fatsaan, Gwongjau since 1993 looking for oldtimers of Wing Chun, but other styles too and ask many questions. So we have met other student of Yun Key Saan in Fatsaan (probably his last one. Last year he passed away, but still have video interview and contact with his son, family and students). They use to practice different then Sam Nang. He told us, he has : "no idea where he (Sam Nang) learned his art, but Yun Key Saan taught different"... You can see it after few second of practice.

Sorry for offtopic to "Leung Jans original art"...

many greetings,
IR

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting! Thanks for the input Ivan! So to clarify...you are saying Mai Gei Wong Wing Chun comes through Sum Nun, not directly from Yuen Kay Shan? And that people have said that Sum Nun's Wing Chun is different than Yuen Kay Shan's Wing Chun? That is not the first time I've heard someone recently say that Sum Nun's Wing Chun was different from Yuen Kay Shan's!

ivanr

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello again,

Interesting! Thanks for the input Ivan! So to clarify...you are saying Mai Gei Wong Wing Chun comes through Sum Nun, not directly from Yuen Kay Shan?

You're welcome! Yes, not directly from Yun Key Saan, but his students and grandstudents. Todays "Mai Gei Wong Wing Chun" comes from my teacher, Wong Nim Yi sifu and his (Sifu) father ideas.

And that people have said that Sum Nun's Wing Chun is different than Yuen Kay Shan's Wing Chun?

:) not only "people" - Yun Key Saans direct and probably last student, whose father was a student of the same teacher as Yun Key Saan and Yun Key Saans close friend in Fatsaan.

many greetings, Ivan

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello again,

You're welcome! Yes, not directly from Yun Key Saan, but his students and grandstudents. Todays "Mai Gei Wong Wing Chun" comes from my teacher, Wong Nim Yi sifu and his (Sifu) father ideas.

:) not only "people" - Yun Key Saans direct and probably last student, whose father was a student of the same teacher as Yun Key Saan and Yun Key Saans close friend in Fatsaan.

many greetings, Ivan

Interesing. Everything I have read about Sum Nung says he was Yuen Kay San's only proper disciple ? Didnt he mix it with his first teacher Cheung Bo's wing chun ?

Isnt that the point of the forum ? Some people ( like me ) Like to train to fight but also just like to waste time researching about wing chun history and all that just because I find it all interesting like reading a good book.

ivanr

White Belt
Reaction score
Interesing. Everything I have read about Sum Nung says he was Yuen Kay San's only proper disciple ? Didnt he mix it with his first teacher Cheung Bo's wing chun ?

Hello "dudewingchun",

Yun Key Saan had more students then just one. Sam Nang had for sure mixed Jeung Bous teaching with that from Yun Key Saan (and others), but i do not know and i think no one knows for sure what he learned, what he mixed, how much and if identic or changed...
greetings, ir

Reactions: KPM

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hello "dudewingchun",

Yun Key Saan had more students then just one. Sam Nang had for sure mixed Jeung Bous teaching with that from Yun Key Saan (and others), but i do not know and i think no one knows for sure what he learned, what he mixed, how much and if identic or changed...
greetings, ir

Ivan...is there someone out there who is teaching pure Yuen Kay San Wing Chun?

ivanr

White Belt
Reaction score
Ivan...is there someone out there who is teaching pure Yuen Kay San Wing Chun?

Hello wckf92,

pure Yun Key Saan WingChun died with him, but if you mean YKS with no influence of Sam Nang, then i know about that family in China. No outside.
greetings, IR

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hello wckf92,

pure Yun Key Saan WingChun died with him, but if you mean YKS with no influence of Sam Nang, then i know about that family in China. No outside.
greetings, IR

Thank you!
Heard that YKS had some training in 'throwing darts'? Was wondering if that has survived to the modern day...

ivanr

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you!
Heard that YKS had some training in 'throwing darts'? Was wondering if that has survived to the modern day...

I remember that in the past, my teacher Wong Nim Yi said that as a child he had to practice with his brothers "to throw coins". We had then lot of funn during it. Maybe there is some kind of connection with "throwing darts". But nothing more. During my meetings with oldtimers in China, no one told me that YKS was skilled in 'throwing darts' (if I remember correctly). It was maybe his personal skill, no part of his teachings? Many Sifus are practicing some specific skills, sometimes outside of border of their "styles".

greetings, ir

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I remember that in the past, my teacher Wong Nim Yi said that as a child he had to practice with his brothers "to throw coins". We had then lot of funn during it. Maybe there is some kind of connection with "throwing darts". But nothing more. During my meetings with oldtimers in China, no one told me that YKS was skilled in 'throwing darts' (if I remember correctly). It was maybe his personal skill, no part of his teachings? Many Sifus are practicing some specific skills, sometimes outside of border of their "styles".

greetings, ir

Cool...thx man!