Look... Can't we all just agree that PUNCHING POWER is just a matter of upper-body strength?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Finally got through this whole thread.

I was just gonna say, "no", upper body strength has nothing to do with punching power.

As a proof, lay on your back and try punching a target above you, then get on your knees and punch a target on the ground, and you'll immediately see the big difference in punching power you have.

thats coz you can get your elbows back far enough or at all

Gangster D

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Finally got through this whole thread.

I was just gonna say, "no", upper body strength has nothing to do with punching power.

As a proof, lay on your back and try punching a target above you, then get on your knees and punch a target on the ground, and you'll immediately see the big difference in punching power you have.
All parts of the body are important in the power of the puncher. If you translate this video, you will learn a lot of good information. At 2:34 and 6:34 minutes, you can see how the hand absorbs and loses a lot of punch force. This video says that hard-hitting fighters have strong hands. After all, it is the hand that transmits hundreds of kilograms of punch mass to the target

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
All parts of the body are important in the power of the puncher.

I worded that really poorly. I should not have said "nothing". It is not just about upper body strength.

All that body mechanic stuff factors in, but nothing as much as gravity the seducer.

Without using gravity properly, you're not moving a single gram of mass, so it's all about using gravity properly and upper body strength isn't all that.

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ramsey Dewey once said it best: Martial arts is not about the lack of muscles, it's about the most efficient use of muscles. That being said, you're always better off with a good amount of muscle than without.

I'll give an analogy: someone who makes $50K a year and manages their money properly will live much better than someone who makes $75K and manages their money poorly.

But if they both manage their money properly, the person who makes $75K a year will be better off.