Which grappling art compliments Judo best bjj or sambo?

Reaction score
Which grappling art compliments Judo more between bjj or sambo? Why do you rarely see sambo schools in the United States anywhere for that matter?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Which grappling art compliments Judo more between bjj or sambo? Why do you rarely see sambo schools in the United States anywhere for that matter?

What ruleset do you want to compete under? Judo? BJJ? Sambo? Sambo being Russian doesn't help it's popularity. You haven't started taking a Judo class yet. Focus on learning Judo, what goes well with it doesn't matter if you can't do Judo. One thing at a time.

Last edited:
OP
BmillerWarrior
Reaction score
What ruleset do you want to compete under? Judo? BJJ? Sambo? Sambo being Russian doesn't help it's popularity. You haven't started taking a Judo class yet. Focus on learning Judo, what goes well with it doesn't matter if you can't do Judo. One thing at a time.
I will be studying Judo but later down the road I will add something to my judo that will compliment my skills into making me a more rounded one man army.

OP
BmillerWarrior
Reaction score

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
I will be studying Judo but later down the road I will add something to my judo that will compliment my skills into making me a more rounded one man army.
So you haven't even started training yet and yet you're asking about other styles. Stop talking and start training. Lol one man army? Lol good luck with that maybe actually start 1 style before thinking about another one. You may hate it and find out martial arts isn't for you there's no shame in it it's not for everyone. Same way football or basketball isn't for me. Just stop asking questions and just train

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

You have not even started Judo? Worry about that first!

Once you're experienced in Judo, then figure out what you want. You should do this for a few reasons:

1) By the time you're proficient in Judo, you'll be a different person. You may have different goals or aspirations by then. You may just want to continue to improve in Judo, or you may have non-martial-arts hobbies that you want to pursue. Maybe you want to learn to be a Judo instructor (that's what happened to me with Taekwondo). Maybe you want to train MMA and will definitely need a complementary striking art. So don't live 3-5 years in the future. Worry about your training now.

2) You may have misconceptions about what actually is trained in Judo, or your Judo school might teach different things than other schools. After learning the curriculum, you may come to different conclusions about what is missing from your repertoire.

3) As you train in Judo, you will find what your strengths and weaknesses are. You will now know enough to ask the right questions. You may want to continue to improve in Judo, or you may seek another grappling art like BJJ or Hapkido to enhance your grappling skills, or you may seek a striking art like Karate or Taekwondo because you want to round yourself out. If you find yourself struggling with some of the grappling concepts and want a different take on them, pick up another grappling art. If you find yourself wishing you could kick things, pick up a striking art.

But all of these are getting ahead of ourselves. Work on Judo for the next few years, learn more about Judo and yourself while you train, and then make a more informed evaluation of what you want to do when the time is right.

OP
BmillerWarrior
Reaction score
You have not even started Judo? Worry about that first!

Once you're experienced in Judo, then figure out what you want. You should do this for a few reasons:

1) By the time you're proficient in Judo, you'll be a different person. You may have different goals or aspirations by then. You may just want to continue to improve in Judo, or you may have non-martial-arts hobbies that you want to pursue. Maybe you want to learn to be a Judo instructor (that's what happened to me with Taekwondo). Maybe you want to train MMA and will definitely need a complementary striking art. So don't live 3-5 years in the future. Worry about your training now.

2) You may have misconceptions about what actually is trained in Judo, or your Judo school might teach different things than other schools. After learning the curriculum, you may come to different conclusions about what is missing from your repertoire.

3) As you train in Judo, you will find what your strengths and weaknesses are. You will now know enough to ask the right questions. You may want to continue to improve in Judo, or you may seek another grappling art like BJJ or Hapkido to enhance your grappling skills, or you may seek a striking art like Karate or Taekwondo because you want to round yourself out. If you find yourself struggling with some of the grappling concepts and want a different take on them, pick up another grappling art. If you find yourself wishing you could kick things, pick up a striking art.

But all of these are getting ahead of ourselves. Work on Judo for the next few years, learn more about Judo and yourself while you train, and then make a more informed evaluation of what you want to do when the time is right.
Sounds great sir. I have aspirations of being a Judo champion. Whether it's state tournys, nationals or worlds. I want to win championships. I already competed in mma and competed in boxing. Had a ton of fights. I want to compete in grappling now and Judo seems to intrigue me more than any other grappling art. I also want to be able to toss drunk assholes on there heads when needed, especially in the winter time with winter coats.

OP
BmillerWarrior
Reaction score
So you haven't even started training yet and yet you're asking about other styles. Stop talking and start training. Lol one man army? Lol good luck with that maybe actually start 1 style before thinking about another one. You may hate it and find out martial arts isn't for you there's no shame in it it's not for everyone. Same way football or basketball isn't for me. Just stop asking questions and just train
I will be a one man army. Watch and wait.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds great sir. I have aspirations of being a Judo champion. Whether it's state tournys, nationals or worlds. I want to win championships. I already competed in mma and competed in boxing. Had a ton of fights. I want to compete in grappling now and Judo seems to intrigue me more than any other grappling art. I also want to be able to toss drunk assholes on there heads when needed, especially in the winter time with winter coats.

In that case, I'd focus on Judo, and then in your spare time practice your boxing concepts to keep up on those.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Right I'm calling bs right there if you've already trained martial arts you wouldn't need to be asking all these questions online youd already know what to look for

Latest Discussions