Look... Can't we all just agree that PUNCHING POWER is just a matter of upper-body strength?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah and I'm one of them.

Do you want empirical evidence that lots of coaches are complete idiots? Literally it's everywhere in all competitive sports. Go watch one of the training videos of Buakaw where a soft-bellied coach had the legend do push ups with alternating hand positions in mid repetition. Buakaw literally trained better without that tool hovering around him. And Buakaw, like any enlightened fighter, was lifting weights.
I’m not sure you understand what “empirical evidence” is.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I coached my classmates back in Job Corps in volleyball and we won two matches after they were on a losing streak for YEARS. Before I volunteered, my teacher was already expecting our whole class to be eaten alive.

That's the only thing that I will consider to count even though I've trained multiple people in the gym, even my mom. Because for all I know, they just quit whatever training program I gave them. And I've been told I'd make a good fitness trainer by a no-nonsense friend.

And my own results speak for themselves. I can prove it with a video if I have to, but my squat went from 335 pounds to 405 in TWO MONTHS of training, when legendary fitness YouTubers like Frank Yang only hit a 405 squat after two years of training.

Keep underestimating me bro.
All of which is entirely unrelated to boxing. The drive will help......if you bother to train in a manner that improves boxing skill.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed you're one of the moderators here. I'm thankful to you and the others for tolerating my arrogance and borderline offensiveness. Please, allow me to stay. I am here on a mission. Please, sir. I haven't felt this passionate about something in a long long while.

And also, I really will listen to the experienced lifters here. I HIGHLY doubt they'd one-up me with training knowledge and know-how, but I will read what they have to say.
Borderline?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bro, I know very little about combat sports but I've seen a few fights of Sapp. There is a lower limit to how terrible of a fighter you have to be. Come on. HE SPUN AROUND SLOWLY when getting barraged by strikes. Who the heck does that?

I don't think it's fair to use Sapp as an example of strong men in MMA. A better example would be Brock Lesnar and Kevin Randleman. Sapp is strong, but he's a terrible fighter. Brock is an excellent wrestler AND as strong as Sapp. That's a better example.

And it's not just the big guys. Look at Matt Hughes in the welterweight division. And Rampage Jackson in the light heavyweight division.
So NOW technique matters?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd bet against it. But words are air. I'll prove it with my actions.

I'm not as good physically now with my age, but my psychological state and wisdom is leagues ahead, almost godlike. And it'll get better.

There have been crazy old men with amazing numbers in their lifts. I can conquer my goals.
Your humility is impressive, too.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know. I simply mentioned stuff about beer in the Medieval Period. I didn't say beer was invented in the Medieval Period.
The thesis was that beer was a dietary staple for a couple of reasons; among them that it provided a relatively high caloric source. You claimed that "it started during the Medieval Period." (your post here) It didn't. Beer as a dietary staple and food source goes back at least to the pyramid builders. They were paid in beer. They drank 10 pints a day. It was a food source and you can buy re-creations of it today. ( A Brew Fit For The Gods Food Historian Recreates Ancient Egyptian Beer Using A 5000yearold Recip | Go-Wine ).

References to beer as a daily consumable, and probable food source, are also seen in the Ballad of Gilgamesh, though the pyramids clearly pre-date that.

Compared to 2,589 B.C., the Medieval folks at somewhere from 300-ish A.D. to around 1600-ish A.D., are newbies.

See a pattern? Newbies? Compared to folks with vastly more experience? ...Bueller? ...Bueller?

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ballad of Gilgamesh
I don't often run into references about the Ballad of Gilgamesh and I certainly didn't expect it here on a MA forum but whenever I do it brings a smile to my face. Good on you for bringing up the oldest written story of man into a relevant discussion.

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The thesis was that beer was a dietary staple for a couple of reasons; among them that it provided a relatively high caloric source. You claimed that "it started during the Medieval Period." (your post here) It didn't. Beer as a dietary staple and food source goes back at least to the pyramid builders. They were paid in beer. They drank 10 pints a day. It was a food source and you can buy re-creations of it today. ( A Brew Fit For The Gods Food Historian Recreates Ancient Egyptian Beer Using A 5000yearold Recip | Go-Wine ).

References to beer as a daily consumable, and probable food source, are also seen in the Ballad of Gilgamesh, though the pyramids clearly pre-date that.

Compared to 2,589 B.C., the Medieval folks at somewhere from 300-ish A.D. to around 1600-ish A.D., are newbies.

See a pattern? Newbies? Compared to folks with vastly more experience? ...Bueller? ...Bueller?

Hey, don't make me use my weightlifting skills against you.

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Both Hercules and Sampson were stronger than you. And they were both trained in martial arts.

Oh so now you're comparing me to demigods and God's champions. That's insanely flattering. I'll go buy you a... Beer.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just so you know, those aren't the primary colors. Depends whether you're talking about pigments or light sources, but neither has Red-Yellow-Blue as their base.

And that's about how accurate your assesment of punching power is, too. You've got some ideas that have some foundation, but you're missing a significant part of that foundation.

Were you joking? Because RYB is definitely a very commonly used primary color set.

RYB color model - Wikipedia

Both CMYK and RBY are used for pigment/printing. Did a breif look, painting is RBY, printing is CMYK based. And i was personally taught RBY in art if i recall correctly. It weird, there is like 4 colour systems used, and thats why thw wiki pages for colours have like 4 colour mixtures listed for the diffrent systems both for digital and manual colours.

Oops, didn't realize you beat me to it. RBY is definitely a thing.

220px-Sintesis_ryb_plano.svg.png

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Finally got through this whole thread.

I was just gonna say, "no", upper body strength has nothing to do with punching power.

As a proof, lay on your back and try punching a target above you, then get on your knees and punch a target on the ground, and you'll immediately see the big difference in punching power you have.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...my psychological state and wisdom is leagues ahead, almost godlike.

I would doubt that ...unless you're thinking of the Greek god, Koalemos.

Regarding your "psychological state", your remarks bring to mind social psychologists David Dunning and Justin Kruger's famous study, "Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments".

Latest Discussions