Which to learn?

BellicoseBard

White Belt
Reaction score
Is there a martial art that focuses on elegant footwork (besides Capoeira) that isn't obscure and impossible to find a teacher for?

Thank you

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
do you mean with some "tricking"? i'd say wushu and taekwondo. but wushu is a widely used term. dunno what you mean by obscure.

OP
B

BellicoseBard

White Belt
Reaction score
I guess obscure might not be the best word but Im talking Baguazhang or something when I say obscure.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is there a martial art that focuses on elegant footwork (besides Capoeira) that isn't obscure and impossible to find a teacher for?

Thank you
What one considers elegant is subjective.
Boxing, Muay Thai, and Savant footwork can be very smooth, attractive in movement, and effective which is elegant for what they are use for.
Many karate systems have excellent footwork with practiced as such.
Many FMA style also have smooth footwork and movements as does many CMA systems.
When one understands what the footwork within a systems designed for and is practiced properly all of the arts have elegant footwork.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Thank you

That's kinda subjective, I'd consider Capoeira complex and flashy, not really elegant. Perhaps it's my former life as a programmer, but a elegant solution to me is one that is simple & effective. Why do you want fancy footwork? If it is the dance elements that appeal to you why not look at dance?

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A great many people come to martial arts sites and ask that same question ... What art would be good for ... (insert requirement here). The truth that those unfamiliar with the martial arts don't understand is that all martial arts share many of the same things, while at the same time they are all different. Looking for a martial art is not like looking for a sweater. You can't simply put one on and have it fit. You need to first work hard to discover what all is available in your area, then you have to work hard to determine which of those available seem to be something you'd enjoy. Then you need to work hard by going to each of those in the list to determine if any of them (and the instructor and dojo) will hold your interest for the years required to gain real skill. If you're not willing to put that much effort into it, then I can say unequivocally that martial arts isn't for you, because they ALL require effort.

Not an answer to your question, but I hope it helps anyway.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Thank you
Depends on what you are trying to do. Are you trying to learn how to fight or do you want to do more of the entertainment performance martial arts.

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What is elegant footwork? For me, it is footwork that works when it is needed...the pinnacle of elegance.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What is elegant footwork? For me, it is footwork that works when it is needed...the pinnacle of elegance.
Isn't that up to the practitioner? Choosing when to move and how?
@mograph...I am confused how your comment relates to what I commented?
My comment reflects on both your comment and the OP's question about an art that focuses on elegant footwork. It was intended to say that, in my opinion, the definition of elegant footwork lies more in the practitioner than in the art. In other words, no matter what the art, the practitioner makes the footwork work when needed by choosing when and how to move.

(MI, I did not intend to challenge you -- I hope that was clear. If not, I apologize, because I agree with you.)

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Mograph...not challenged, just wanting to be clear in what you were saying. I agree!!

Combat999

White Belt
Reaction score

Thank you
I've trained in a few arts that have effective footwork. I think effective and efficient is more important than elegant. Jeet Kune has enjoyable footwork, Wing Chun Kung fu has simple and powerful footwork. Boxing has quick, light balanced and powerful footwork. Combative's has simple and aggressive footwork. We all move a little different so as you train you will find what works for you and what doesn't.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's kinda subjective, I'd consider Capoeira complex and flashy, not really elegant. Perhaps it's my former life as a programmer, but a elegant solution to me is one that is simple & effective. Why do you want fancy footwork? If it is the dance elements that appeal to you why not look at dance?

Capo is surprisingly deeply layered. The foot work does tend to be functional for the game of roda.

A good capo dosent just throw back flips to impress the ladies. It is part of his game.