Which is your preferred weapon?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That sounds gorgeous, Mike! Love to see a pic if you have a chance to post it.

Here are some photos. The picture with three bo's in it is to reference the size. The first two are standard 6' bo staffs. I received one as a Christmas present, and proceeded to crack it in the first couple of sessions using it. I have since dowelled the damage, but, had purchased the second bo before I did my woodworking. I then ordered the fancy bo from Mark Taylor.

The second photo shows the size comparison ... the 6'6" staff is about 1/4 inch thicker in diameter than the standard bos, over the entire length.

The third photo, I hope will show the contrast between the Bloodwood and Wenge ... I was hoping for a Red/Black bo. The only true black wood is Ebony, and that gets very expensive. Wenge was the second choice.

The last photo shows the lamination pattern. I selected an octagon pattern. This lamination (and Mr. Taylor offers many different patterns) makes this stick solid. There is no bend. By selecting different laminations, and different tapers, you can get some very pretty looking bostaffs.

Attachments

• $Misc 001.jpg
    $Misc 001.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 252
  • $Misc 003.jpg
    $Misc 003.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 253
  • $Misc 004.jpg
    $Misc 004.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 259
  • $Misc 005.jpg
    $Misc 005.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 252

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
True, but it doesn't really answer the question. Martial arts won't teach you how to talk effectively. And they won't teach you how to run. The original correspondent is asking "What tool normally considered as a weapon and not part of your body do you most enjoy practicing with or, if it came to it, fighting with." But he assumed that you would give him a straight answer, not attempt to school him like a newbie in need of Wisdom from the Master.

For me it depends on what I'm trying to do. For long distance the asian bow or a rifle. For somewhat closer a Mossberg 590 with a bayonet or a Glock 21. Non projectile? I like the Shamshir and Dahl (the shield, not the lentil), the slungshot, the yataghan and the sap although the thrusting spear has a lot to recommend it as king of the battlefield.[/quo

Hello, It is sad your school and most schools do NOT teach verbal art of self-defense. The number one technique we ALL NEED to use first.

Our school too, do not teach as much...but my Instructor do add some verbal training to the classes. ..........Thank-you and Aloha

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's surprising how much comes through implicitly rather than explicitly in Guru Plinck's classes. Body carriage. Eye contact. A sensitivity to distance. Attitude. Most all a lot of practice in reading intention. If you have a good sense of when the situation is dangerous and what the other guy is thinking about doing it makes whatever else you plan on doing a lot easier and gets you off the mark faster.

As I said though, most people already know how to back off with or without backing down, how to smooth things over and what is necessary to keep from having a fight if one really doesn't want to. Women in particular are almost all past masters at this sort of thing. They have a lifetime of training. The trick is being able to make decent decisions under pressure and act on them wholeheartedly and efficiently.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The easy answer is whatever weapon is handy, but I have a definite preference for wood weapons from 6 inches to 7 feet long. Why? Because I don't carry a knife or a kukri around with me, nor do I carry my Mossberg or pistol, so unless we're talking home invasion, I won't have them to use.

Wooden weapon skills translate very well to almost any found weapon in a normal setting.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My mind

but because that is sliping once in a while I carry a cane and a knife

whitedragon_48

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For me it had to be a combo of my Spiked Tomahawk and my Bagwell Hell's Belle. Gun are nice, but inside the 10' range, you're mine.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In this order of preference:

Long, long range: Remington 700 (.308 Winchester, my own BTHP handloaded ammo)

Long range: Bushmaster XM15-E2S (.223 Remington, Winchester USA Q3131A 55 grain FMJ ammo)

Short to medium range: Remington 870 12 gauge shotgun (Federal Tactical 00 12 gauge buckshot)

Short range: Glock 17 (Winchester Ranger 127 grain +P+ JHP), or any of my Glocks for that matter...

Close quarters: Katana, bo, sai, and of course, Spyderco Police folding lockback knife. Under most conditions for melee weapons, I can really only carry my Spyderco around, since the authorities may frown on folks carrying around swords, 6' long weapons, etc.

The third photo, I hope will show the contrast between the Bloodwood and Wenge ... I was hoping for a Red/Black bo.

Beautiful weapons indeed.

I do find it unusual, though, that someone was able to make a decent bo from bloodwood. From my experiences, it's a great wood for shorter weapons, but I've had bad luck with bloodwood warping in longer weapons, even with regular oiling and sanding (I use boiled linseed oil).

The only true black wood is Ebony, and that gets very expensive.

No kidding. Also getting very difficult to find these days, especially since some of those are on the endangered list.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Beautiful weapons indeed.

I do find it unusual, though, that someone was able to make a decent bo from bloodwood. From my experiences, it's a great wood for shorter weapons, but I've had bad luck with bloodwood warping in longer weapons, even with regular oiling and sanding (I use boiled linseed oil).

No kidding. Also getting very difficult to find these days, especially since some of those are on the endangered list.

It may be that he is able to use bloodwood because of the way he laminates. In this case, perhaps, the wenge provides the rigidity of length to prevent warping. I don't know. He does have quite a few unusual lamination patterns that he uses.

As for Ebony .... Mr. Taylor tells me has made at least two ebony bos in the past ... and offered to make one for me, for a bit under $400.00.

SideWinderGX

White Belt
Reaction score
some of you guys are overdoing the 'my mouth and my legs are the best weapons i have' line...its WAY too overused, and doesnt contribute towards the topic at all (even if the rest of your post does).

weapon, as in not hands or feet? id have to say the escrima stick. plain and simple, to the point, hard as a rock, and when used correctly and with technique it can be devastating. you can also stay marginally away from someone with a knife and use it, because of its length, although it isnt much.

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I really like classical and anceint weapons from the past, both eastern and western ( I'd rather have a nice Gladus on my wall then a Katana)but you cant walk down the street with half of them with out problems.

Our Dojo teaches only a few weapons.
Knife, Garrote using 550 cord, Club, kubaton/yawara,Jo and a rolled up magizine ( rol one real tight and you'll see where we are coming from). We also work on gun retention and close in deployment. We spend the most time on the knife.

I also study FMA with Dave Wink, so more stick and knife work for me.

My absolute favorite weapon for self protection is my Springfeild Armoury 1911A1 and my Glock 19, but I carry knives 95% of the time.
In my home, depnding on where in the house trouble would happen, I got a AR-15 Carbine with Surefire light and Acog sights and a 870 Combat shotgun, or one of a bunch of knives and common items.

"One mind, any weapon." Originally from Koryu arts, but it's a slogan for MCMAP
" There are no dangerous weapons,just dangerous people."- Unknown British SOE instructor

Some of my favorite relavent quotes.

BTW Sweet Bo staff.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Which is your preferred weapon?

The one I have on me when the **** hits the fan. Currently, that would be my fist.

Bill Sempf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Martial arts won't teach you how to talk effectively. And they won't teach you how to run.

Not true. Hensojutsu and Intonjutsu are common studies in Ninjutsu.

As for me, I like to carry a leatherman with a thumb release blade. I can't imagine using it, but in terms of practicality combined with force, you can't beat a knife.

Then again, there is a strong argument for using a belt as a Kusari Fundo. And that is VERY practical.

Just my $0.02.

S

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We don't train with weapons but one I find easiest to get my hands on, extremely useful and versitile and disposible is the common ball point pen. Great for pushing into the soft parts of the head and body (just try pushing it horizontally under the nose or into the v of the throat) and great for jabbing into hands, plus the added benefit that it's only a pen if you are caught with it! I carry one in my coat pocket most of the time, have one within easy reach in my car and there's often one lying around in various places.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
The combat cane first and foremost. It's legal, and can block, strike, tie up, throw/sweep, dislocate, use stabbing motion, hook, pin to the ground while waiting for help or the police.

Second, two kubotans (I have lots of keys :)). In the brand of kung fu san soo I learned we used a lot of hammerfists. Translates perfectly to this weapon: grip a kubotan in each fist, leaving a 1 1/2 inch protrusion beyond the fist, and you've got some serious two-handed fire power that will bruise deep tissue, break bones, decommission joints, and rupture vital organs.

Both weapons are good against multiple, unarmed opponents. The cane is obviously better against any bladed weapon, or stick.

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've heard a lot of weapons mentioned here and decided to put in my two cents. ;)

Pens/kubotans/et cetera - Range too limiting. If they've got a knife, you're ****ed. But quite obscure and it is perfectly feasible to carry a pen.

Canes - Great weapon, but inconvenient to carry and impossible to conceal.

Guns/knives - Leaves very little room for control. I do not advocate them. Even though The Dollars Trillogy romantisises gun use. ;)

Telescopic steel baton - Perfect in every way unless you are assaulted by aliens or an entire country's armed force.

Sjambok - A good non-lethal deterrent. Extremely ****ing painful.

Staves/Spears/Swords - In the modern world... Impossible to carry concealed, can get messy, difficult to use in tight spaces, even more difficult to explain = forget it.

TrainHardFightEasy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Escrima stick all the way. You can be very affective withouth having to be lethal or even overly vicious.

Telescopic batons are cool but I'm not a huge fan of the fact you have to actually extend them and make them ready to go. Cuts down your response time.

And if your feeling thugish a baseball bat mighjt suit ya.... No real technique required lol

TrainHardFightEasy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Also yeah, I agree with MaaartenSJS. Stuff like pens, chopsticks, forks etc can be nasty. Ninjitsu like deception and trickery.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately for those of us in Australia (and perhaps other parts of the world) our weapons options are strictly limited. Kubotans (that can be identified as such), knives, extendable batons, tasers and pepper spray are all prohibited weapons. Guns are right out.

My personal favourites are torches. Something like this.

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Telescopic batons are cool but I'm not a huge fan of the fact you have to actually extend them and make them ready to go. Cuts down your response time.

Not if you know how to strike on the draw. ;) In that case it is actually faster and more surprising. A steel baton is basically a metal arnis stick, anyways (Depending on the size).

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately for those of us in Australia (and perhaps other parts of the world) our weapons options are strictly limited. Kubotans (that can be identified as such), knives, extendable batons, tasers and pepper spray are all prohibited weapons. Guns are right out.

That doesn't stop criminals from carrying and using them on you. Choosing to carry and/or use is a personal choice you yourself make, because despite what any laws may dictate to you it is your life or your loved ones' lives that are at stake. I have made my decision - your turn. ;)

Latest Discussions