Which is your preferred weapon?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The weapon the that will almost always save your life is your MOUTH.

To be able to talk your way out of any situtions and NOT let it get worst!

2nd best is the legs...use for running away.

These are things you will always have on you no matter where you go!

Along with be humble, kindness, and honestly.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Off course if you could carry anything? ....M16? Jet Li? ...

Nunchakes is a flavoriate weapon! ...........Aloha (we like using coconuts too!)

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
True, but it doesn't really answer the question. Martial arts won't teach you how to talk effectively. And they won't teach you how to run. The original correspondent is asking "What tool normally considered as a weapon and not part of your body do you most enjoy practicing with or, if it came to it, fighting with." But he assumed that you would give him a straight answer, not attempt to school him like a newbie in need of Wisdom from the Master.

For me it depends on what I'm trying to do. For long distance the asian bow or a rifle. For somewhat closer a Mossberg 590 with a bayonet or a Glock 21. Non projectile? I like the Shamshir and Dahl (the shield, not the lentil), the slungshot, the yataghan and the sap although the thrusting spear has a lot to recommend it as king of the battlefield.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Listed by range applications.
1) A Tanto edged knife / 4" - 5" blade / 440 S.S.
2) A baton / 12" hard plastic / steel ball at one endm
3) S&W L frame S.S. 357 mag./ 4" barrel,
4) Remington 12 ga. pump / 14" barrel / imp. bore,
5) Compound bow / optical sight / counter balanced / mechanical release,
6) Valmet assault rifle / 5.56 cal./ 18" barrel / 30 rd. mag.
7) Springfield Armory M1A1 / International match / 7.62 x 59. / 20 rd. mag.
:ultracool

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
at "bad breath range": a small fixed blade knife (4" blade give or take) or a blackjack

beyond contact range: Glock 19, 12-gauge Rem. 870, or AK depending on specific circumstances.

OP
xTNVx NirVana

xTNVx NirVana

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I also like my P266 Pistol, but since I'm young, I can only use an Airsoft gun...
:p

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really like escrima sticks and the bokken.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
At this point, I am working my bo staff quite extensively. I have decided that I like the weapon and am attempting to learn to use it more effectively. There are a couple of interesting books that are on my shopping list; one of which goes into the history of the Quarterstaff ... which is a European version of the big long stick.

I received a nice bo staff for Christmas from one of the online martial arts outfitters. But, then I searched a bit more, and found this ...

www.bostaff.com

Mark Taylor built me a beautiful 6'6" bostaff made of bloodwood and wenge. It's a heafty bo, weighing in at 3 pounds 7 ounces. I am considering adding to my collection from Mr. Taylor as well.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I had to choose a weapon I would prefer a pair of sticks, but I always train with bare handed combat in mind with the use of environmental weapons at hand.
Sean

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, seeing as how the only weapon that I train with these days is the katana, that'll have to be my response.

I like questions that are that easy to answer :lol:.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At this point, I am working my bo staff quite extensively. I have decided that I like the weapon and am attempting to learn to use it more effectively. There are a couple of interesting books that are on my shopping list; one of which goes into the history of the Quarterstaff ... which is a European version of the big long stick.

I received a nice bo staff for Christmas from one of the online martial arts outfitters. But, then I searched a bit more, and found this ...

www.bostaff.com

Mark Taylor built me a beautiful 6'6" bostaff made of bloodwood and wenge. It's a heafty bo, weighing in at 3 pounds 7 ounces. I am considering adding to my collection from Mr. Taylor as well.

That sounds gorgeous, Mike! Love to see a pic if you have a chance to post it.

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My preferred weapon is that of an escrima stick- they are cheap, easily hidden, useful( to prop open windows) not likely to be used by a 10 year old to kill his brother, and they are not illegal to own. Tho if you have one on the front seat of your car and get stopped- expect to be looking down the barrel of a 9 mm while the cop asks for your ID.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
My preferred weapon is that of an escrima stick- they are cheap, easily hidden, useful( to prop open windows) not likely to be used by a 10 year old to kill his brother, and they are not illegal to own. Tho if you have one on the front seat of your car and get stopped- expect to be looking down the barrel of a 9 mm while the cop asks for your ID.

Strangely enough something like that happened to me a long time back. Officer friendly had had a bad day and decided to take it out on me. As soon as I pulled into the parking lot at the Dunkin' Donuts (honestly) he was right on me accusing me of picking up hookers and threatening to confiscate my car. Before I even had the motor turned off he had stuck his head and flashlight in the driver's side window. Still muttering about "If I see you talking to known prostitutes I'll have..." he saw the (battered, taped up) sticks on passenger's seat. He asked "Are those Kali sticks?" I answered that they were. He started to calm down and realized that he had just stuck his upper body inside a car that could be thrown into reverse. Another "If I ever hear that you're hanging around known prostitutes..." and he decided he'd had enough fun.

I swear, the Lord was with me that day. If it hadn't been for Divine Intervention I would have opened my mouth and said what was in my heart, to wit "It's not illegal to talk to anyone. And if you're so interested in whores here's twenty bucks. Maybe they'll let you sniff it." But that would have been wrong...

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
for training i really enjoy working the jo. something elegant about it.

for a carry weapon i really like the cane. it's versatile, has more range than most other stuff folks carry. also it's non-escalatory. if a guy sees i have a knife or a baseball bat, that's as likely as not to provoke trouble. cane doesn't have that problem.

i have a 13" tanto by the bed in case i have to get between an intruder and my wife, but really i'd prefer to use the back door if i have any option.

if i'm out of cane range, i prefer my feet. i really don't see myself getting into a situation where i'd have to engage if i was more than 10 feet away. i'm a terrible shot, but a fast runner.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excellent post, Bushi. I'm of much the same mindset. I know it annoys Tellner (I meant to ask why by the way) but the first laws of MA, akin to the Laws of Robotics are:

1) Avoid the situation
2) Talk your way out of the situation you couldn't avoid
3) Run away from the situation you couldn't talk your way out of
4A) Apply the minimal force necessary to permit (3) to be implemented

or

4B) Apply maximum, maybe lethal, force and to hell with the legal consequences (better tried by 12 etc).

For me, I'll follow that logic through to 4A. Daft as it sounds, 4B is reserved for dealing with threats to those I love.

Latest Discussions