When training women should they recieve special treatment ?

In my opinion, absolutely not! No group of people should receive special treatment. The treatment of the student should be proportional to their individual abilities and having a soft spot for anyone in particular is uncalled for.

j

BLACK LION,

I feel that I understand you a bit better, and while you and I seem to have some differences of opinions, I do agree with your last post, so it's good to see we can come to common ground.

We all have a common ground here... its just we are forced to articulate without physical expression...which in my opinion is impossible to do on the internet. Although it is a wealthy resource for info it does not and will not take place of the physical and physiological nature of what we do.

Respectfully
Broderick

We all have a common ground here... its just we are forced to articulate without physical expression...which in my opinion is impossible to do on the internet. Although it is a wealthy resource for info it does not and will not take place of the physical and physiological nature of what we do.

Respectfully
Broderick
It is a very different conversing on the web and I give everyone credit for the time that is taken to articulate and parse through differences in terminology.

Both you and Kenshin have taken a great deal of time to articulate where you are coming from, and you both express yourselves very differently. Kudos to you both!

Daniel

My good friend and co-worker is a member of San Diego Bunjinkan assoc. and I have always had an affinity for ninjistsu and its many facets. We go back and forth all the time and for the most part we agree. I dont try to change him or push my convictions on him and vice versa. We just borrow each others tools. Hell.. I ride a ninja everyday;)

We have more in common than it seems. Trust me.

Have you had any experience in Hwarangdo Daniel??? I was following some older Michael Echanis material and stumbled across it. Sparked my interest to say the least.

No Hwarangdo. I train in kendo, hapkido and taekwondo, and I find that the Jinenkan Taijutsu and Kenjutsu actually compliment all three quite nicely. My hapkido instructor was an instructor in the ROK, so we get some very useful material in his classes.

I have trained in some bo, jo, and other sword styles and have put alot of those lessons into use of my blackthorn.

Having said that, if time and money allowed, and if there were a hwarangdo dojang that was convenient to me, I would check it out.

Daniel

My good friend Shervin Tehranchi was a bb in hapkido...I am not sure to what degree. He trained under Master Tom Gwak. He was a great fighter.

Yes that is him and its Hap do sool...my mistake. He covers many different styles and arts. That man had vans running over him and spears to the throat and all kinda shyt. I spent much time observing in that studio and getting a little practice in between Shervins classes he taught. I can still see the pictures of Master Gwak under the van clear as day.

He molded my friend into a great fighter but unfortunately did not prepare him to fight for his life. He died from stab wounds after fighting off 5 thugs bent on jacking his brothers car and posessions. He played the ultimate game and paid with his life. He did however beat the **** out of them but somehow one got away and got to a knife and did him prison style...4 shots in the upper torso severing his aorta.... This changed my life and my training completely...

People always wanted to see us two fight or spar each other but we were too good of friends and we knew we could never declare a true winner... I did however take on another bb from the same school and beat him pretty badly... He was very cocky and ran his gums allot so he kinda had it comin...

Damn Shervin was a great fighter... I still to this day regret I could not be there on that night. I usually was.

Last edited by a moderator:
ATTENTION ALL USERS

Please return to the original topic.

Thank you,
Pamela Piszczek
MT Super Moderator

The treatment a student receives is relative to the art being practiced.
Some arts were not intended or designed for women, others arts were.
There are also arts designed for women, which some men have difficulty with.

If you look at the History of a art Like Wing Chung (which is named for a women),
The art was developed by a young lady because she could not compete with
the harsh physical training of the southern Chinese methods, (eg Tiger styles)

This Crane style influence in many arts is the soft side of Half hard methods .

There are some males (primarily big strong types) that are not suited to
softer arts, they have trouble overcoming this dominating Physicality,

Do they receive special treatment in soft arts ? they shouldn’t , but they do,
because , in some regrards a large strong man will never be as graceful , flowing
or agile as a women , nor will they develop the internal power(soft) of a some women.

Many styles are half hard methods (Okinawan karate) , the students will tend to polarize
the larger and Physically stronger will tend to the hard, and
need special training to make them softer,
the slighter and more demure will tend toward the soft and internal,
they will need special training to become more physical.
They both need special training and consideration to excel.

It is not always a Male and female thing, it is a body type and mentality thing as well.

If you were to pick a method , Say a harsh physical one, then women really do not belong
here, they will receive special treatment , because despite their selves Men will NOT
treat them the same, regardless of what they say, and this is correct, you can
not go beating on a women’s ovaries and breasts etc, without repercussion.

If you pick a soft internal method, a 250 lb, male with the grace of a water buffalo
does not belong there, he will not excel and will always struggle, he needs to use
his natural ability and Physicality .

we could say to each their own, but in most modern methods , both can be found in
ONE, and it is just a matter of degree of polarization.

Romney^..^

He molded my friend into a great fighter but unfortunately did not prepare him to fight for his life. He died from stab wounds after fighting off 5 thugs bent on jacking his brothers car and posessions. He played the ultimate game and paid with his life. He did however beat the shyt out of them but somehow one got away and got to a knife and did him prison style...4 shots in the upper torso severing his aorta.... This changed my life and my training completely...
Firstly, my condolences to you. The loss of a friend in such a manner is always sad.

Secondly, to bring this back on topic, this is a good illustration of why women and men should be trained to equally high degrees: carjackers and gangbangers will take advantage of anyone's weak points. Your friend sounds like he did not have much in the way of weak points, but against five armed men, the odds were definitely against him.

If a lady (or anyone else, for that matter) is treated with kid gloves, then when they really need that training to work for them, they do not have it to the degree that they should and by then, it is too late.

Daniel

Is this special treatment or just a better way for smaller people to train ?
(as opposed to training with large strong men as a man does)

Check out the articles and essays at
http://www.northeastwingchun.com/

there it says :
Wing chun's creator, the Buddhist nun, Ng Mui, and her most notable student,
Yim Wing Chun, for whom the system was named, were both women of small stature.
Ng, teaching the unique movements of her close-range style, showed Yim Wing Chun
how to overcome larger and stronger opponents. Small people need to move into close
range to become effective against a taller opponent. The long arms of a tall attacker become a burden against the super-close range, centerline attacks of wing chun.
Yim Wing Chun taught the techniques to her husband, and through subsequent generations,the system was well-guarded and passed on to only a few, very dedicated students.

is Hard superiour to Soft ?

Romney^..^

Watch this women, I wound not want her to hit me .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKwO5-ji1rQ

worth reading , this interview with Lui Chang I , of Feeding Crane.

I had the privilege of meeting and training with Mr Lui,
he says of Feeding Crane , “Kill you one second”
And he can demonstrate exactly how it could be done.

This method is very Physical, but , the amount of Physicality is
measured relative to the stature of the student .
It can be practiced by a women, and her challenges will often
be opposite of that of a man.
for a man it is a matter of being able to relax, and generate
short power, for a women it is the Physicality .

the training of men and women is the same, but at the same time
different to focus on there individual challenges.

Are men and women treated differently , Yes in a way ,
and No in a way.

Romney^..^

Back