When Is the Title of Sabun Earned?

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What is the kukkiwon instructor course? Does it take long to do, is it difficult, does it cost much, are all instrutors required to do it? Just curious.
Sorry,only those wishing to be KKW can have this information,its secret.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is the kukkiwon instructor course? Does it take long to do, is it difficult, does it cost much, are all instrutors required to do it? Just curious.

OK, bear in mind that I haven't taken the course (yet!), so my knowledge is based on hearing about it from other people and wishing I could go. However, no-one else has given a reply to your questions yet, so I'll try to.

The course certifies the holder as an International Master. The course in Korea takes 4 or 5 days (can't remember which) and costs US$150. As far as I know the course is quite intensive physically and has an exam at the end.

In Korea it is mandatory to be able to open a dojang. Internationally, it is currently optional.

You have to be a 4th Dan or above to qualify on the 3rd Class course (other classes are available for those with higher dans and lower class course qualifications). You can sit the course below 4th Dan, but you only graduate upon receiving your 4th Dan.

I'd love to do it, but we're trying to be fiscally sensible for a year or two - but then I definitely want to get over there to do it!

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK, bear in mind that I haven't taken the course (yet!), so my knowledge is based on hearing about it from other people and wishing I could go. However, no-one else has given a reply to your questions yet, so I'll try to.

The course certifies the holder as an International Master. The course in Korea takes 4 or 5 days (can't remember which) and costs US$150. As far as I know the course is quite intensive physically and has an exam at the end.

In Korea it is mandatory to be able to open a dojang. Internationally, it is currently optional.

You have to be a 4th Dan or above to qualify on the 3rd Class course (other classes are available for those with higher dans and lower class course qualifications). You can sit the course below 4th Dan, but you only graduate upon receiving your 4th Dan.

I'd love to do it, but we're trying to be fiscally sensible for a year or two - but then I definitely want to get over there to do it!
Thanks Andy. 4 or 5 days doing an intensive training course for only $150 would be worth the experience alone. I can imagine you'd learn heaps. I hope you get to do it someday.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks Andy. 4 or 5 days doing an intensive training course for only $150 would be worth the experience alone. I can imagine you'd learn heaps. I hope you get to do it someday.

I hear the instructors on the course are top notch and I also have it in mind (but this may be incorrect) you also get some time training with members of the Korean national demo team and some members of the Olympic team.

Thanks for the wishes, I hope so too.

Muwubu16858

Green Belt
Reaction score
Food for thought: Sabum uses the same chinese characters that are pronounced Shihan in Japanese. Both Yun Kwai Byeong and Yun Byung In were licensed Shihan under Kanken Toyama when they arrived home to Korea, which would translate to Sabum there.