Master and Grandmaster titles

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I mentioned previously though, it would be interesting to see how the sport would change if the dan requirement were dropped. Like imagine if any athlete were allowed to compete in WTF tournaments as long as they were following WTF tournament rules: kick high and fast, jumping and spinning a plus. Would we still call that taekwondo?
No speculation needed. Except for training to compete under certain sparring rules, Arlene Limas was not a TKD stylist when she competed.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the elephant in the room:
The WTF doesn't issue Dan certs.??????

No, they don't. There was a brief period in the stone ages when they did so, but since their criteria for awarding one boiled down to "You already have a KKW Dan rank", it was pointless. So that elephant had its ivory harvested long long ago.

Personally, I do think the KKW-Dan requirement is foolish. Tournaments should be open to anyone who wants to enter, so long as they follow the ruleset in place for the event.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No speculation needed. Except for training to compete under certain sparring rules, Arlene Limas was not a TKD stylist when she competed.

You mentioned that previously; I had not heard of Limas before. Interestingly, her school is not that far from me -- about an hour's drive. ( Power Kix Karate Stafford VA - Power Kix Karate Aquia VAPower Kix Martial Arts Stadfford VA ) ...but then, I practically pass Jhoon Rhee's house in McLean on the way to the local shopping mall; you can't swing a cat in the DC suburbs without hitting a taekwondo great. :) One of our local Kukkiwon 9th dans is hosting a tournament this Saturday ( Grandmaster H.K.Lee Tae Kwon Do ) This place swims in taekwondo.

I wonder how Limas qualified for competition? I guess the rules were different back then?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Y

I wonder how Limas qualified for competition? I guess the rules were different back then?

Many moons ago I was slightly involved in the open circuit in Chicago. She was a great competitor and trained under Olympic rules to compete in the Olympics when TKD became what was then a demo sport. It is my uinderstanding she found a Korean KKW teacher to swing the bat for her and get her the neccessary credentials to compete. there was also a story circulating. (It was long ago and I do not know if it was true or not) That certain factions tried to keep her form competing and she had to go to court to be allowed to compete.

my only other brief encounters with here was when she appeared at a seminar given at the Degerberg Academy given by Joe Lewis, Jeff Smith , and Bill Wallace. Seh did not do anything exept observe. I beleive I also attended a brief seminar by her whcih was part of a mult day Chuck Norris KDOAA, but again it as along time ago and I may ne mistaken. i would have to check my souvenitr stash to see if she was listed.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, they don't. There was a brief period in the stone ages when they did so, but since their criteria for awarding one boiled down to "You already have a KKW Dan rank", it was pointless. So that elephant had its ivory harvested long long ago.

that was my understanding as well.

Curious then that it's still in the materials listing qualifications.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You mentioned that previously; I had not heard of Limas before. Interestingly, her school is not that far from me -- about an hour's drive. ( Power Kix Karate Stafford VA - Power Kix Karate Aquia VAPower Kix Martial Arts Stadfford VA ) ...but then, I practically pass Jhoon Rhee's house in McLean on the way to the local shopping mall; you can't swing a cat in the DC suburbs without hitting a taekwondo great. :) One of our local Kukkiwon 9th dans is hosting a tournament this Saturday ( Grandmaster H.K.Lee Tae Kwon Do ) This place swims in taekwondo.

I don't know details of this specific case, but the KKW has long (always?) given out Dan ranks to people from other systems who want to compete in Olympic events.
This is one reason why I think the rule should be eliminated.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
that was my understanding as well.

Curious then that it's still in the materials listing qualifications.

More than a little silly, and does nothing but add to the KKW vs WTF confusion.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[QUOTE="

I wonder how Limas qualified for competition? I guess the rules were different back then?[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly she filed a lawsuit (I believe either against the USTU (precursor to USAT) or maybe the WTF in order to participate. She now has long since gotten KKW rank and has gone to law school. She'd be the one I'd talk to if I had an issue with the USAT or WTF and needed a lawyer.