What's your neck of the woods called?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, where I live is often referred to as "Nova" or "NoVA", a contraction of Northern Virginia. And my wife is from Kansas City, MO, and often pronounces it "Kancity".

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Toronto has been referred to as...

"Toronto the Good" For generations the city boasted among the highest number of churches per capita of any city in North America. The Municipal Council and Mayor's Office were run by the Orange Lodge up until the sixties (maybe early seventies). Canada's master retailer Timothy Eaton, an abstainer, built his first department store in the city. He had his window displays shuttered on Sundays, lest people stray from worship and rest to window shop. He also refused to sell tobacco products in his stores -- a policy which continued decades after his death.

"Hogtown" Canada Packers was a major employer for a long time, and the meatpacking business fed a lot of working class families fo quite some years.

More recently, simply "TO" (tee-oh).

Torontonians call it "Trawna."

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Retard county (Brevard county Fla.)
Ho-lando (Orlando)
Mel-boring (Melbourne Fla.)
Coo-coo,or Coke Whore (Cocoa Fla)
Coo-Coo beach (Cocoa Beach,Fla.)
Tidy ville,or Tite *** ville (Titusville,Fla)
I've also heard Portland Oregon referred to as "Potland"

Tomu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I currently reside in Danville, IL.

Commonly known as Dvegas or little Chicago(and not for good reasons either). :mad:

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't know of any common nicknames other than "Misery" but I refer to this area as "white-trash hillbilly central." :rolleyes:

OTOH, Missouri is the meth capitol of the US so I guess it could be "meth country" the way CA has "wine country"

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
ah yes, the meth of missouri is famous! i prefer the ozark strains myself, something about the store brand wal mart bathroom cleaners really brings out a speedy, lucid tweek without too much of an acidic taste. the northern missouri meth is much less subtle but still passable...but let's face it, it's for nebraskans.

jf

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Shame,I grew up in St.Louis.I just spoke with an old school buddy,seems a few chaps fell by the way of the speed/crack demon.Sad .....very sad.Back in the day it was just Pot and beer,no guns no gangs.Now even in this neck of the woods it's crack hoe's and thug lifers.What the hell is wrong with people?

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nothing exciting or clever here. I'm just in the Northwest Burbs.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Orygun
Puddletown
Stumptown
The Great North Wet
PDX
River City

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I live in a town called Athol most people outside and inside of town chabge the "t" to "ss" when saying the name

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The city I lived in for a couple of decades, Stoke-On-Trent is also known as The Potteries (for obvious reasons). Now that is no longer true thanks to the evils of bean-counter-lead 'outsourcing'. When the likes of Wedgewood go bump, you know things have gone horribly wrong - a thousand years of ceramics expertise lost in less than a generation :(.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Where I am from it is the Great North! Yes we are also barbarians!
icon6.gif

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nothing exciting or clever here. I'm just in the Northwest Burbs.[/quote
Way back when Moby Dick was a minnow, and I was stationed at Great Lakes naval base, Chicago was called the windy city. I have not heard that in a long time, could that still be the case.
icon7.gif

Yes, Chicago is still referred to the Windy City. Also Chi-town. We are actually located in the suburban sprawl about 30-40 miles northwest of the city.

As an aside, alot of people think the Windy City refers to it being windy in Chicago with the lake and all, but it actually refers to all the hot air our politicians blow. ;)

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Mitten, The West Coast, Gods Area Code, A couple I can't mention for fear of banishment from the site :D.

In other words, the West side of Michigan's lower peninsula (Yet another Troll here, even though I graduated from the U.P.). Little place named Scottville, which is just to the East of Ludington. About 20 minutes North of Crushing I believe.