What's the difference between Taiji and wrestling, or boxing?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I found the real Taichi.

220px-Taichi_2017.jpg

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A: How do you use your boxing to end a fight?
B: I knock my opponent out.

A: How do you use your wrestling to end a fight?
C: I let my opponent's head to meet the ground.

A: How do you use your Taiji to end a fight?
D: I ...

What will be your respond if you are D?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Don't know, depends on what the other guy does, there is no such thing as he does 'A' I do 'B' in any real fight. Taiji could strike, kick, throw, lock....depends

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Probably by chuckling at B and C for having some a simplistic, black and white, either/or approach to their training.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don't know, depends on what the other guy does, there is no such thing as he does 'A' I do 'B' in any real fight. Taiji could strike, kick, throw, lock....depends
This is why I believe in Taiji, there is something missing after the push hand training.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is why I believe in Taiji, there is something missing after the push hand training.
San Shou sparring is what's missing from many kung fu schools (for lots of different reasons, but in the case of Tai Chi mostly because of the lack of good teachers with combat experience).

And if you look at a lot of "Tai Chi San Shou" videos online you'll see what I mean.

This video illustrates decent form and Tai chi Quan principles. But the "San Shou" component is plain silly. This is for show, but it'll look pretty.

What you need is someone who trains to fight, and also learns Tai Chi, to explain how the real world works, why Xu Xiaodong kicked butt, and why it's important to learn other fighting arts if want to be really good at your own.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
San Shou sparring is what's missing from many kung fu schools (for lots of different reasons, but in the case of Tai Chi mostly because of the lack of good teachers with combat experience).

And if you look at a lot of "Tai Chi San Shou" videos online you'll see what I mean.

This video illustrates decent form and Tai chi Quan principles. But the "San Shou" component is plain silly. This is for show, but it'll look pretty.

What you need is someone who trains to fight, and also learns Tai Chi, to explain how the real world works, why Xu Xiaodong kicked butt, and why it's important to learn other fighting arts if want to be really good at your own.

Here's the thing, Taijiquan in applications rarely looks like the posture, or rarely uses all elements of a posture. And for the record, there are blocks, strikes, elbows, kicks and knees in taijiquan.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

I tickle them. I’m famous for my tickling. It’s in my footwork and timing. I have touted this ability before. Nobody listens to me, its like I’m speaking Cantonese or something.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
The skill that you have developed through the push hand training may not be sufficient to deal with your opponent's fast "groing kick, face punch, right hook, left hook" combo.
That’s why I also train another style and apply the movement principles from one to another. In the end it’s just motion, practicing one doesn’t preclude other motions.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's the thing, Taijiquan in applications rarely looks like the posture, or rarely uses all elements of a posture. And for the record, there are blocks, strikes, elbows, kicks and knees in taijiquan.
Appearances can be..deceptive.

Tai Chi can kill people. The whole body is one weapon, moving uniform.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions