What would we do if the lights went out?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry I should have read the link first, no time at the present to get into any sort of comment about lights going out.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Showers bite the worst for me. Lights. You get a torch, Food,you eat at the pub.

But cold showers suck.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has there been a tangible threat to the US power grid? I know Die Hard 4.0 was just a film, but if that could happen, would an open invitation to anarchy.

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Showers bite the worst for me. Lights. You get a torch, Food,you eat at the pub.

But cold showers suck.

And when the pub doesn't have power what's your plan?

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has there been a tangible threat to the US power grid?

You didn't follow the link. There have been multiple successful attacks on the power grid, both physical and cyber. The NSA warns that China has the capability to bring our entire grid down.

If it went down for just 10 days the death toll would be in the tens of millions.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Pub has a massive generator precisely to accommodate a power out.

Otherwise I am living off cans of stuff and rice. Mabye some damper. Muslie and powdered milk. Noodles. All gets real old real quick.

The big question to ask is how do you clean your house and clothes? Cant just go on like some sort of hermit. Especially if you are still trying to hold down a job.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Has there been a tangible threat to the US power grid? I know Die Hard 4.0 was just a film, but if that could happen, would an open invitation to anarchy.

We potentially get smashed every year. Worst for me was cyclone ului that put my area out for three weeks. And I rolled up two days after it hit. So the trip to the hardware store was pretty funny when asking for survival gear.

I managed to get a metal bucket that I cooked out of using wood.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
WP_20150714_002.jpg

Ride my horse to the next one.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You didn't follow the link. There have been multiple successful attacks on the power grid, both physical and cyber. The NSA warns that China has the capability to bring our entire grid down.

If it went down for just 10 days the death toll would be in the tens of millions.

Yeah I did, but was at work. I'll read it again when I have a moment. Pretty alarming though. Makes me wonder how many potential, or un reported threats have been made elsewhere.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We potentially get smashed every year. Worst for me was cyclone ului that put my area out for three weeks. And I rolled up two days after it hit. So the trip to the hardware store was pretty funny when asking for survival gear.

I managed to get a metal bucket that I cooked out of using wood.

Must be quite disconcerting to say the least. A lot would be common sense I guess, but I wonder how many in the UK would be prepared in anyway. Best advice I have always heard is to keep a supply of candles and such like, but not a lot general public training, or thought.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Must be quite disconcerting to say the least. A lot would be common sense I guess, but I wonder how many in the UK would be prepared in anyway. Best advice I have always heard is to keep a supply of candles and such like, but not a lot general public training, or thought.

Might be a case of people freezing to death up your way. Don't know if it gets that cold.

But yeah it is mostly the candles and such. A am fm radio is really usefull. No money if it is in the bank,no fuel, those sort of hick ups. Phones of couse die quick. Especially the fancy new ones.

It just depends how far you want to go with preparation for that kind of thing.

On the plus side we don't get a mad looting frenzy every time there is a black out.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might be a case of people freezing to death up your way. Don't know if it gets that cold.

But yeah it is mostly the candles and such. A am fm radio is really usefull. No money if it is in the bank,no fuel, those sort of hick ups. Phones of couse die quick. Especially the fancy new ones.

It just depends how far you want to go with preparation for that kind of thing.

On the plus side we don't get a mad looting frenzy every time there is a black out.

Where I am in the UK, there have been a couple of occasions where the electricity has gone off. Unless a person really looks into it, it does not tend to get reported. Where I work, although not for a while, we had a full black out. I would imagine with your weather patterns you would advance warning? In the UK that would be a concern to me in the sense that we do not really adverse conditions to have such things as real bad hurricanes and what not. If we had one of those act of god type situations, really don't the UK would be prepared at all. Probably obvious I suppose. Nice ride BTW.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the UK we would 'carry on' the same way we have for a couple of thousand years lol! We've got through things like the Blitz which didn't just happen in London as many think but all over the country, we've had a sustained bombing campaign by the IRA over decades ( that's not over btw, bit riot in Belfast last night...it's Marching Season), horrendous flooding etc we would do what we always do adapt and overcome while having a bit of a moan. :)

Last edited:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Certainly do lol. Like still not giving enough money to flood areas that have been impacted. Yep, if we a had a big issue, the government would make like an Ostrich and wait for the next one to do something about it. Yep got to love this island and the incompetent morons that continuously run it :D

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Where I am in the UK, there have been a couple of occasions where the electricity has gone off. Unless a person really looks into it, it does not tend to get reported. Where I work, although not for a while, we had a full black out. I would imagine with your weather patterns you would advance warning? In the UK that would be a concern to me in the sense that we do not really adverse conditions to have such things as real bad hurricanes and what not. If we had one of those act of god type situations, really don't the UK would be prepared at all. Probably obvious I suppose. Nice ride BTW.

Thanks.

And I assume that is the point of the thread. To get people thinking about being prepared.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
WP_20150714_004.jpg

Speaking of which I am having a little metho cooker test. A lot of my static night shifts have no amenities and I cant go long without coffee.

Pesto and chicken tonight.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
View attachment 19374

Speaking of which I am having a little metho cooker test. A lot of my static night shifts have no amenities and I cant go long without coffee.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
View attachment 19374

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

And I assume that is the point of the thread. To get people thinking about being prepared.

Most people are far better prepared than is commonly thought, it's always assumed that mass panic would break out but studies have shown that in most situations people don't panic. In the UK few people are so highly dependent on electronics and motorisation that having to go without these things would cause a massive decline. During the last war Girl Guides set up field kitchens, taught people how to make fires and cook with anything. People grew their own food and managed without power and travelling. People here still talk about the 'Blitz spirit' you can see that happening when bombs go off here or a disaster happens. Film and television companies love the doomsday scenarios but research has shown that people can adapt to anything and do.

Latest Discussions