What would we do if the lights went out?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently you can but it takes about an hour

Pizza in a solar oven

It's easier than that, cover a cardboard box inside and out in silver foil ( or whatever you call it, the cooking stuff made of aluminium lol) put a little tray in it made of wire and put it over the campfire, cooks easily. We did it with the Guides on camp a few weeks ago, you can also cook s'mores at the same time lol for 'dessert'. I can cook most things on an open fire ( as well as other ways of cooking) including baking cakes. I can build my own kitchen including implements, tables and chairs as well as light a fire without matches or a lighter. I can purify water ( did that with the Brownies last week), catch, kill and skin small animals, grow veggies and build a bivvy if necessary.
However I'm not really fussed about 'surviving' the 'doomsday' thing, if it's your time to go it's your time, I see little point in stressing about it, getting the blood pressure up and dropping dead from worry lol.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
  • People will die in the first minute. People on life support, surgery, dialysis and traffic accidents.
Not true. Ventilators have backup batteries, for one thing. Hospitals (and dialysis centers) have backup generators.

• First responders will be unable to get to those in need because traffic lights are down.
If there's some sort of generalized disaster, they don't need to travel. They can walk 5 feet and deal with what's right there, instead of driving across town.
And of course, most people can manage just fine without traffic lights.

• Prisons and jails will mass release since their own generators will soon run dry which dumps criminals enmass on the public...which is already going through riots and looting anyway.
Locks that require power to remain locked are a stupid idea and cost a lot more than locks that only require power to unlock, or that require power only to change state. Can you provide us with a source that supports the allegation that jails (the ones not using mechanical keys...) are using the less secure and more expensive option?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It's easier than that, cover a cardboard box inside and out in silver foil ( or whatever you call it, the cooking stuff made of aluminium lol) put a little tray in it made of wire and put it over the campfire, cooks easily. We did it with the Guides on camp a few weeks ago, you can also cook s'mores at the same time lol for 'dessert'. I can cook most things on an open fire ( as well as other ways of cooking) including baking cakes. I can build my own kitchen including implements, tables and chairs as well as light a fire without matches or a lighter. I can purify water ( did that with the Brownies last week), catch, kill and skin small animals, grow veggies and build a bivvy if necessary.
However I'm not really fussed about 'surviving' the 'doomsday' thing, if it's your time to go it's your time, I see little point in stressing about it, getting the blood pressure up and dropping dead from worry lol.

Impressive.

I am not stressing either

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And 3000 rounds of ammo.....HA HA HA (kidding.....ha ha ha)

Doomsday preppers will tell you flat out that 3000 rounds isn't anywhere near enough.
Sue and I shoot 300-400 rounds a week at the range. At any given point in time, there's probably 400-500 rounds of defensive ammo (mostly Hornady Critical Defense) and 3000-5000 rounds of target ammo in the house, because I buy it in bulk, on sale, for each of the calibers we shoot.
From what I gather, hardcore preppers will have lots more than me.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet those 'hard-core preppers' are so busy preparing they forget to live their lives now. :) it's not the quantity of life that matters it's the quality.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, so I did a little google-fu, and it seems that prepper sites recommend anything from 1000 rounds per caliber to 1000 rounds per gun, to "fill your house, dig a basement, fill that, now start on the bomb shelter and fill that..."

I tend to order ammo 1000 rounds at a time, when it's on sale. I just checked and I have:
Target ammo:
9mm - 1800 rounds (this is what we shoot the most)
.45 ACP - 800 rounds
.380 ACP - 400 rounds (this is what we shoot the least)

So about 6-8 trips to the range.

Defensive ammo:
9mm - 250 rounds
.45 ACP - 100 rounds
.380 ACP - 50 rounds

So by "prepper" standards, I'm OK for 9mm at the lowest recommended level, but not if it's "1000 per gun". Otherwise, I apparently need more.
I suspect I'll stick with my current habits, though.
If I went with "1000 rounds per gun", I'd need a place to store about 12,000 rounds...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Or actually have a decent aim at minimum. Guess it is one of the same.

I think when you can carry a gun that can spit out lots of bullets. You wind up needing lots of bullets.

Anything for our way would be a shot gun or something. And you would get away with 20 rounds.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think when you can carry a gun that can spit out lots of bullets. You wind up needing lots of bullets.

Anything for our way would be a shot gun or something. And you would get away with 20 rounds.

Would a shotgun defend against a Crocodile? Just wondering about that kind of thing, as over here no such type of wildlife.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Would a shotgun defend against a Crocodile? Just wondering about that kind of thing, as over here no such type of wildlife.

Yes and no. Crocodiles don't chase you. They spring out from nowhere and just sort of bite you in half.

So if you saw it to shoot it. It probably wasn't attacking you.

Otherwise should the mad max apocalypse kick off and I jump on my klr and head into the wasteland. There are animals that may need shooting.

Mostly these are big domestic ones turned feral. Dogs cows pigs buffalo camel.

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
OK, so I did a little google-fu, and it seems that prepper sites recommend anything from 1000 rounds per caliber to 1000 rounds per gun, to "fill your house, dig a basement, fill that, now start on the bomb shelter and fill that..."

I tend to order ammo 1000 rounds at a time, when it's on sale. I just checked and I have:
Target ammo:
9mm - 1800 rounds (this is what we shoot the most)
.45 ACP - 800 rounds
.380 ACP - 400 rounds (this is what we shoot the least)

So about 6-8 trips to the range.

Defensive ammo:
9mm - 250 rounds
.45 ACP - 100 rounds
.380 ACP - 50 rounds

So by "prepper" standards, I'm OK for 9mm at the lowest recommended level, but not if it's "1000 per gun". Otherwise, I apparently need more.
I suspect I'll stick with my current habits, though.
If I went with "1000 rounds per gun", I'd need a place to store about 12,000 rounds...

From what I have read the 1000 per gun is not your practice stock, but rather your storage inventory. If in a survival situation you more than likely are not going to the range, but rather using the ammo for other reasons.....hunting/defense.....

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That I find ridiculous, do you mean to say that people can't drive when there's no traffic lights?

This depends on the location we're talking about. In a small, rural town it may not be that big of an issue. In a large city, imagine no working lights and the accidents it would cause. I'm in L.E. and I can tell you when a good storm comes through and knocks out all the power in the area, and there area lot of of accidents, first responder resources are stretched beyond capacity. Now let's multiple that. Response times will be that much slower, if at all. At some point the fuel runs out. Many municiple/county/state resource may be able to continue longer IF the fuel sources are backed up by generator. Not all are backed up. And of those that are, the capabilities are limited to the available fuel supply which won't be resupplied in a timely manner in a wide-spread event.

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would depend entirely on how the prison is locked, and many still use a key

The issue isn't how the cells are locked, rather it is a matter of feeding the inmate population. The food that needs to be cooked can't be unless they have a non-electrical source. Secondly the food stock needs to be resupplied at some point in the VERY near future, depending on the size of the facility. And we need to consider the staff that is on hand at the time of an event. What if relief shifts aren't forthcoming due to being unable to travel due to conditions? At some point the 'system' breaks down. What do you do? Leave them in the cells to die? Release them on an already panicked public? No good choices.

Latest Discussions