What was your TKD BB test like?

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see what the physical, mental and written requirements (if any) were for those here that have taken a TKD BB test. How long did the test take? How old were you at the time? How long did you train before taking the test?

Thank you. :)

ryuu55

White Belt
Reaction score
This is just what I remember, I’m sure there was more, but it’s late and that was like 6.5 years ago.

I was 23 years old. Our test lasted approximately 9 hours. On our test day we had to show up with our 6 page essay (topic was our instructor’s choice, everyone’s was different). We started with our 9kyu test and worked our way up to Shodan. We had a 3 minute break on the hour (unless in the middle of something). As for preparation we doubled class time 3 months out, ran a minimum of 3 miles 3-4 times a week (I started about 6 months before the test would be) and we meet up about every other weekend to go thru dry-runs of the test.

- Oral exam to begin with (all “required knowledge” portions of exam)
- We did ever basic/technique we’ve ever done until they were satisfied.
- Every kick we’ve ever gone over into bags and pads until we could barely stand.
- We demonstrated our forms Chon-ji – Gae-Baek.
- Self-defense consisted of ground techniques, one-on-one standing, bare-hand to bare-hand, bare-hand to ka-bar (live), bare-hand to gun (dummy gun).
- Breaking (3) hand, (3) foot, (2) special/speed.
- Kumite: 1-on-1 (guest Nidan), 2-on-1 (guest Nidan/Shodan), 1-on-1 (our instructor). All kumite was continuous fighting; you had to be standing at the end of it.

We were notified during class approx 1-2 weeks later that we had passed. They wanted us to pick apart what we did wrong, or thought we did wrong.

All-in-all it was a memorable day, I unfortunately popped my knee about 2-2.5 hours into the test. They offered to let me step out, but took 10 minutes to put on a brace and about ½ a roll of duct tape and finished it. I didn’t have too many problems with the knee until breaking. Once the test was over it took about 3 months for the knee to heal (should have stepped out, BUT I was young and dumb), but at least the test was over and I wouldn't have to go through that again for many more years. As for my knee no major problems that weren’t already there due to football. So all’s well that ends well. Made it though my Nidan test earlier this year, no problems with the knee :).

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see what the physical, mental and written requirements (if any) were for those here that have taken a TKD BB test. How long did the test take? How old were you at the time? How long did you train before taking the test?

I started Taekwondo when I was 12. I was initially training once per week, then it was twice per week when I was 14, upping to 4 times per week by the time I was 16.

I got my 1st Dan in 1990 at 16 under the BTCB.

For my test I had to do three poomsae (Koryo was required, one of the examiner's choice and one of mine), one step sparring, one for one kicking and free sparring. I also had to break two boards, one with a jump back kick and one (I believe, my memory is a bit fuzzier on the second break) with a side kick. The test took about 20 minutes I guess. For the record, my subsequent tests have followed roughly the same format and duration (adding in self defence and 2vs1 sparring) until my latest one.

That was it, no written requirements, no intensive stamina/endurance test.

However, I'm a strong advocate that tests shouldn't be an intensive experience - the training beforehand should be, the test is just a final stamp that you are acting/performing like the grade you're testing for.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wait seriously people take a test to get a BB, all this time I thought they came from a box of Cracker Jacks....
icon10.gif

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I started Taekwondo when I was 12. I was initially training once per week, then it was twice per week when I was 14, upping to 4 times per week by the time I was 16.

I got my 1st Dan in 1990 at 16 under the BTCB.

For my test I had to do three poomsae (Koryo was required, one of the examiner's choice and one of mine), one step sparring, one for one kicking and free sparring. I also had to break two boards, one with a jump back kick and one (I believe, my memory is a bit fuzzier on the second break) with a side kick. The test took about 20 minutes I guess. For the record, my subsequent tests have followed roughly the same format and duration (adding in self defence and 2vs1 sparring) until my latest one.

That was it, no written requirements, no intensive stamina/endurance test.

However, I'm a strong advocate that tests shouldn't be an intensive experience - the training beforehand should be, the test is just a final stamp that you are acting/performing like the grade you're testing for.

My test was very much like Andy's with much the same philosophy behind it.

I had to do defense against a punch, a rear naked choke, a knife, and several grabs. Went a little armbar happy.

I also had to do 6 poomsae and a cardio section. 50 pushups, 50 Squats, 50 crunches and 50 knees to chest jumps in 3 minutes. Then a bunch of board breaking. Did 3 on a palm heel, 2 on a side kick, one with a neck chop, one with a jumping back leg roundhouse, a forward elbow through 2 boards, and one with spinning hook kick. 10 boards in all.

Also, in an unexpected and very pleasant surprise, 2 of my Judo instructors showed up to watch.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's been decades, so I don't recall the exact details, but here goes:

calisthenics with a minimum number of push ups and crunches and squat thrusts

demonstration of all basics through line work

demonstration of patterns - we did some of the higher ones like Hwarang and Chung Mu several times

breaking demonstrations - I broke 2 or 3 boards with a high jumping spinning back kick

demonstration of self-defense, although by recollection this was not extensive at all

lots of sparring

The whole affair lasted around 4-5 hours, but it was a large test with several schools participating.

I also had to write a 3-5 page typed essay about the meaning of TKD to me. Not sure if anyone actually read it though. :)

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait seriously people take a test to get a BB, all this time I thought they came from a box of Cracker Jacks....
icon10.gif

For some people it does my friend.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score

Thank you. :)

I began TKd in 1983 (16 y.o.) and afther 4 years I became a BB I was 20 y.o.

If I recall the examenwent this way.

Things started at 7 pm.

-Tesis (written book)
- Calistecnics and warm up.
- Oral examination.
- Basics... all the basics from white belt to black belt.
-Poomsae from taeguk 1 to Koryo.
-One stepes.
-Three steps.
-Long combat.
-Ho shi sool.
-Board breaking.
-sparring one on one.
-sparring three on one.

We ended exasuted but happy at around 2 a.m.

We had a meetinga dn dinner?? breakfast at 3 a.m. in a hotel restaurant, in that meeting I got a written recognization as one of the best students of the year.

I remeber iI ended with the distiest dobok you can imagine with blood stains, blister feet, body aking all covered in dirth and sweat but very very happy, nobody gave anything for free I really earned my black belt.

Second dan belt on july 2010 was as follow:

It took us about all the morning.

- Calistecnics and warm up.
- Basics... all the basics from white belt to black belt.
-Poomsae from taeguk 5 to Kungam.
-One stepes.
-Long combat.
-Ho shi sool.
-Board breaking.
-sparring one on one.
-sparring three on one.

I've got a verbal honor recognition from the gran master Ernesto Moram and candid words to keep going inside TKD and got a big aplause of the audience, I was the oldest person doing examination that day.
The next day a very hot humidity monday night before reciving my second dan black belt I had a very hard TKD class were my phisical abilities were measured and this was the next day of the black belt, I was tired for sure but hungry to get my second dan black belt.

Manny

ryuu55

White Belt
Reaction score
@Manny
Sounds like a good test. I went through 2 dogi's that day. The blisters sucked, we had brought scissor to cut off the skin, as per our seniors advice. We went to Denny's to eat after our test, were we loaded up on ibuprofen and tiger balm... the good old days.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My first degree black belt consisted of
Brief warm up
All taguek forms 1 Thur 8
Single hand techniques/blocking
Combination hand techniques/blocking
All kicking techniques
Combination kicking techniques
Endurance kicking drills
Breaking 5 techniques hand/foot spinning/power
Sparing 1 on 1
essay
This took about 6 1/2 hours

Second degree exam consisted
All First Degree items plus
1 Thu 8 palgwe
Koreo
Self created self defense
1 on 1 sparing and 2 on one sparing
This took about 4 1/2 hours (small group)

Third degree exam consisted
All first degree items plus
Kumgang
All color belt self deafens 5 per each belt and 1/2 belt
10 Black belt self defenses.
1 on 1 2 on 1 3 on one sparing
This took about 5 1/2 hours.

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. Sounds like everyone had a very positive and rewarding experience. It is interesting to see the differences as well as the similarities.

jda

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was 46 and had been training for about ten years. It consisted of;
every technique we had learned up to that point ( about two hours worth),
taeguk forms 1-8 plus koryo
minimum 50 self defenses--I think I ended up with about 70. Very physical and brutal!
board breaking--2 with each hand; open hand technique and closed hand tech, and two with each foot.
oral exam and written essay (we call it a resume)
And lastly after all that you have to disarm (knife) the lead instructor. You keep going until you get the knife. If you "die" you start over. You're exhausted and he's rested and very fast. Its a lot of fun.
Whole test takes about 5 or 6 hours.
Jim

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
@Manny
Sounds like a good test. I went through 2 dogi's that day. The blisters sucked, we had brought scissor to cut off the skin, as per our seniors advice. We went to Denny's to eat after our test, were we loaded up on ibuprofen and tiger balm... the good old days.

Ohh yeah I recall the blood blisters too, doing TKD on wooden floor with bare feet was something, wasn't it? Yeh every night when I was on the shower afther the class I desinfected the scissors, cut al, the damage sking and rubbed sopan and fresh watter, then afther the shower I rub isodine as an extra cleanimg thing and then if need it picatro (this is an unguent for burnings) and then the next TKD session.

And yes iboprofen is nice for the acking body,joints,etc. and the tigger balm for the dents on shins jajajajaja.

Manny

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Back in '71 my test was:
6 forms
100 self defense: 75 with just kicks, 15 with take downs, 10 with hands
sparring with the whole class and the instructor and his instructor
plus my fee for taking the test

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
In one of his books, GM Chuck Norris described his experience testing for 1st Dan at the Moo Duk Kwan in Korea in 1960. I believe he said all he had to do was one form and maybe some light sparring.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
In one of his books, GM Chuck Norris described his experience testing for 1st Dan at the Moo Duk Kwan in Korea in 1960. I believe he said all he had to do was one form and maybe some light sparring.
I borrowed his book from the library a few months ago. I remember reading that he forgot some forms and hence failed the first time around, then passed on his 2nd attempt.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I didn't get a black belt in TKD, but my black belt test in kenpo consisted of performing all material up to that point, including over 500 basics, around 200 techniques, in the air and on the body, twenty or so sets and ten forms. I had to present a thesis paper of at least twenty pages, mine was over 60, both in physical form and as part of a demonstration, as well as multiple rounds of point and continuous sparring against both students and higher ranking instructors, stick and knife fighting, and fighting multiple opponents. I had to fight three students testing for their first class brown belt (the last rank before black) simultaneously for five minutes continuously. In addition to the karate, we had to engage in regular PT including repeated breaks for pushups, crunches, squat thrusts, and superstars. We were required to demonstrate both physical proficiency with and technical knowledge of the material as well as intangibles such as indomitable spirit. All together, the test was over six hours long with one ten minute break at around the four hour mark.

I was pretty beat up by the end, but it was all worth it when I opened my eyes and saw the black belt on the ground in front of me. By comparison, my second degree test was far easier. It wasn't comprehensive, only 20 techniques, 3 sets, and two forms. Took a little over an hour. We do comprehensive tests at purple, brown, 1 black, 3 black, and 5 black.

Pretty intense, but by that time we were all ready for it. We'd been gearing up for it for months, increasing the intensity of our training as we got closer to the test, and by the time I tested I was in the best shape of my life and running the full lists at least twice a day. We fought hard, and paid for our belts in blood and bruises. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

-Rob

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't get a black belt in TKD, but my black belt test in kenpo consisted of performing all material up to that point, including over 500 basics, around 200 techniques, in the air and on the body, twenty or so sets and ten forms. I had to present a thesis paper of at least twenty pages, mine was over 60, both in physical form and as part of a demonstration, as well as multiple rounds of point and continuous sparring against both students and higher ranking instructors, stick and knife fighting, and fighting multiple opponents. I had to fight three students testing for their first class brown belt (the last rank before black) simultaneously for five minutes continuously. In addition to the karate, we had to engage in regular PT including repeated breaks for pushups, crunches, squat thrusts, and superstars. We were required to demonstrate both physical proficiency with and technical knowledge of the material as well as intangibles such as indomitable spirit. All together, the test was over six hours long with one ten minute break at around the four hour mark.

I was pretty beat up by the end, but it was all worth it when I opened my eyes and saw the black belt on the ground in front of me. By comparison, my second degree test was far easier. It wasn't comprehensive, only 20 techniques, 3 sets, and two forms. Took a little over an hour. We do comprehensive tests at purple, brown, 1 black, 3 black, and 5 black.

Pretty intense, but by that time we were all ready for it. We'd been gearing up for it for months, increasing the intensity of our training as we got closer to the test, and by the time I tested I was in the best shape of my life and running the full lists at least twice a day. We fought hard, and paid for our belts in blood and bruises. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

-Rob

Kenpo Karate is a nice martial art, I did it for a full year and I liked, it is diferent from TKD and would like to repeat the experience and go for the purple belt and who knows from there.
I remeber doing my yellow belt test with efort but it was the orange belt the one examination where I put all my might in years, I prepared very well and afther that I prepared my second dan black belt in TKD. Kenpo is nice and I think it benefited my TKD there are such things in kenpo like the checking and some physics concepts that has enhanced my TKD.

Manny

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Was a long time ago when the earth was cooling and dinosaurs roamed, had to kill one or two, I am not sure, and the written test was in Hieroglyphics.

Latest Discussions