Testing for BB

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey all.

I put this here, because I'm testing in TKD for BB.

Anyways, I was going to test in April. Then I decided not to (because of the surgery). Then we did a "power camp physical test" drill and I know I can pass that part.

Ok, our "power camp" is usually two weeks to a month before the actual test that includes 30 sit ups, 30 push ups, 30 side crunches each side, 50 "super man's" (reverse crunches or whatever you call them ... laying on your tummy and raising your head to the roof), and 30 leg lifts (men do 50 each). We have to do this stuff in 4.5 minutes. Plus a 1 and 1/2 mile run in 13 minutes. Then there's the rest of the day ... 8 hours ... of the curriculum stuff, sparring, and breaking.

I didn't do the sit ups do to surgery, but the last time we did this drill, I beat the "female requirement" of 30. I did 55 sit ups, 45 leg raises, and I just recently did 30 push ups (even with bad wrists ... if it wasn't timed, I could have done more, I think).

The problem is the run. I am so out of shape (do to surgery), and my cardio sucks. I haven't done none of the above for 2 months, and I have never done the run. The test is a piece of cake. I did the test part when I did my 1st gup test (twice). But I have never done the power camp.

I know I can do the 4.5 minute physical thing, and the 8 hours of hel ... But the run is going to kill me.

What should I do? Should I wait till the summer to test for BB, or rack my brain with the run (training for the run in two months and learning my new form) for April?

HELP?!?!?!?!!? Thanks in advance.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are the two mutually exclusive? If the April test doesn't go well, can you still take the summer test? If so, and your HEALTH permits, go for it! Put your health and safety first, though. See your doctor on this, but I think that two months + is enough time for a person to get in well enough cardio shape to run 1 1/2 miles - particularly if they have already been doing physical activity (TKD and Jujitsu), as you have. Start with a 40 minute EXTREMELY brisk walk (easier on the knees) and work up from there. Best of luck!

On edit: make sure you have darn good running shoes for your training and try to run on a track, if available. This will spare your knees and ankles, IMO.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like it was said, start with brisk walks, and gradually work into a run over a period of time. Running can start as a jog for x amount of time/ distance, etc. You also don't want to start too soon, due to surgery. When/ if you see a doctor next, ask them about the best way to go about working up your stamina/ endurance, or talk to your instructor.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you're going through PT and in contact with a sports medicine doctor, I'd run the question by him. He could and would probably set up a cirriculum for you based on a real timeline. Take your answer from there. Passing up the opportunity to test when you're ready sucks, but it isn't the end of the world. Keep your health and recovery your primary concern.

Good luck, kiddo!

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Laurie,

I agree with the others here that health comes first. I'm not sure what the injury/surgery was (perhaps you mentioned that in another thread), but you definately do not want to make it worse, and have to wait even longer. As the others said, consult a doctor, ask what you should and should not do.

Also, I would recommend discussing with your instructor about the injury, what requirements you might be allowed to skip or take it easy on, or if your instructor recommends you wait to test later. Putting the doctor's, and your instructor's advice together I would suggest using a rebounder (jogging trampoline) for stamina. If you can get into a club that has exercise equipment like tread mills, stationary bikes, or stair steppers, try that for a short time before you test (maybe "Curves" for women or another club near you). Skipping rope and walking up hills (sand dunes or stairs) can help. Also, bag work for 30 minutes to an hour will build endurance.

Good luck! :ultracool
Sr. Master Eisenhart

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Laurie:

I hate to the "what they said" guy. But I'd chat with your Dr. about what you CAN/should do now. If its possible, I'd try it. But if the summer is more a realistic option, I'd encourage that. There's no race to BB. And I know how bad you want it.:ultracool :asian:

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
I know I can do the 4.5 minute physical thing, and the 8 hours of hel ... But the run is going to kill me.

A mile and a half in 13 minutes should be doable if you start training now. As long as you pace yourself, you really don't need to be in super shape to pull off that kinda time. Long as your doctor doesn't see a problem, go for it.

Another stamina builder option for 'ya, I used to do a set of pushups, and then do a pattern all out. Since patterns take about 30-45 seconds or so, it's a decent amount of time for your arms to get over the last pushup set you did. Something you could try (or subbing in any other exercise between patterns, situps etc) to help multitask the pattern learning and the endurance training.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:

What should I do? Should I wait till the summer to test for BB, or rack my brain with the run (training for the run in two months and learning my new form) for April?

An 8+minute a mile is for the fit for sure. I nice jog is 10-12. I remember doing a 8 min. mile on a 10k and throwing up and down afterwards when I was 29. To get ready you have to just start running. I did alot of mileage each week, building up to it of course but usually ran for an hour to 1- 1/2. When you can run longer, you can start to do intervals, run faster for awhile, then slower. Then the faster comes as you get stronger and increase your pace. Get good shoes. Run preferably on a high school track that is cushioned rather than asphalt to save your knees. At first after the first couple of laps, you might have a stitch in your side, slow down a little and breathe through it. Stop and walk if you have to, then start up again when it eases. Eventually, you are able to regulate your breathing and it won't happen. You don't need to warm up before but make sure you stretch out afterwards and do a cool down walk back.

Just a note, I would think not many 1-2 of our black belts can do this as we don't require running or cardiovascular conditioning. Even I would have to resume running a little to get back up to that speed. I ran last summer on grass but it was difficult terrain. TW

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks so much all for advice. My doc said I was ok to do everything, except sit-ups, and contact sparring (he doesn't want the risk of someone else hiting me in the tummy, eventhough he knows I am strong enough to spar). I did non contact sparring yesterday, and I was fine. I can go all out after the 2nd.

I also have a home gym that includes a bike trainer, treadmill, B.O.B, mats, ect. So I will use your advice and start slow with the bike trainer (to strengthen my knees a bit), then the tread mill (brisk walking), then the track down the street (running). Do each for two weeks each, then try for the mile and a 1/2? What ya think? Yes, I do have good running shoes, by the way (my honey bought them for me when I got my 1st gup).

What is your advice on a good program for new runners with no cardio (I have no other physical problems other than the one I got fixed with the surgery, so throw a program my way ;) )?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
What is your advice on a good program for new runners with no cardio (I have no other physical problems other than the one I got fixed with the surgery, so throw a program my way ;) )?

What I did was start the first day with a very brisk 20 to 25 minute walk with ten minute cooldown the first, second and third day - then I rested a day. When I resumed I did a thirty to forty minute brisk walk with cool-down and did this for several weeks. By brisk walk, I mean ALL OUT, just without the pounding on your knees you get from jogging. On the fourth week I started combining 20 minute fast walk, ten minute run, ten minute cooldown and did this for a couple of weeks. By the fifth week it was ten minute brisk walk warm-up, twenty to thirty minute jog, ten minute cool-down. After a month and a half it was a thirty-forty minute jog followed by cool down with no problem whatsoever.

It has been some time, so my numbers aren't exact. Also, the stationary bicycle you have can probably accerate the process dramatically. My big concern is that you don't stress you knees. You can aquire significant, IMO, cardio gains without doing so. Also, the warmup, cooldown and final stretch are crucial, IMO.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
Plus a 1 and 1/2 mile run in 13 minutes.

HELP?!?!?!?!!? Thanks in advance.

Let me see if I understand this.

You can do the rest but the run is a problem. (* I suck at running as well *)

Let me put this in terms I understand.

1.5 Miles per 13 minutes. so we solve for it as the following.

1.5 miles . . = 1 mile
-----------------
13 minutes . . x minutes

Solve for x

X = 13 minutes / 1.5 (* Miles cancel *) = 8.67 minutes.

So you need to do a mile in just over 8 minutes as your pace.

1 mile per 8.67 minutes conversion of minutes to hours is 60 minutes per hour.

This is about 6.9 miles per hour. This is faster than a good walk, but you can pace yourself, and run, then jog, the walk, then run and see if you can maintain the pace of about 7 miles per hour. Drive off 2 miles in your neighbourhood, and then try to run/jog/walk it in 14 minutes. If you can practice for this you should be able to do the test. :)

Godo Luck :D

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know bro. Rich.

There's a reason why you're an engineer, huh? :)

Laurie,
Good luck and do what your body tells you that you can do. If you're not healed up enough then wait until you're 100%. Or at least close to. :)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
You know bro. Rich.

There's a reason why you're an engineer, huh? :)

Laurie,
Good luck and do what your body tells you that you can do. If you're not healed up enough then wait until you're 100%. Or at least close to. :)

I am a geek? My other choice was being a history teacher, I just found playing with chemicals and objects and software much more fun, so Engineering was a good choice for me. :D

karatekid1975 said:
My boyfriend is also an engineer, so I was kinda expecting that from him LOL.

:lol: ;) Good Luck and train well, and do as Brother JF recommends. :)

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
This is about 6.9 miles per hour. This is faster than a good walk, but you can pace yourself, and run, then jog, the walk, then run and see if you can maintain the pace of about 7 miles per hour. Drive off 2 miles in your neighbourhood, and then try to run/jog/walk it in 14 minutes. If you can practice for this you should be able to do the test. :)

Godo Luck :D

That's really great advice! You have a built in metric to measure your progress as well. Walk the distance with a watch one day, then start speeding up until you make it well under time. That's better advice than I gave. :asian:

Latest Discussions