Black belt testing...hard or easy

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to get an idea of the different types of requirements for BB testing. I've known of some tests that are 2 days long, where the candidates must endure miles of running, then strenuous calisthetics, and finally followed by the actual test. Other tests are comprised of a written essay about TKD or some specific aspect of TKD, followed by the actual test. My personal opinion about testing is in favor of the latter kind of test due to the diversity of people who train. A young man I know will be testing next month for his BB. He has a very serious heart condition and if he had to fullfill the requirements of the first type of test, he would never achieve his BB. I was also honored to know another BB who because of an accident, had pins in his hips. He was not able to preform kicks the "textbook" way, but his outlook, spirit, and demeanor was of the highest standard of a BB that one could be. My personal opinion is that being a BB is way more than what someone can do just physically, but rather what they impart spiritually, emotionally, and mentaly to those around them. What do you all think?

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've seen some testing requirements that were just ???????? Mostly, you'll find these in the more questionable (instructors background) schools. First and foremost, the only thing a black belt means is that you are considered a serious student. Some folks like to think it is a level of fighting abilities, but I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I have seen green belts that could flat woop up on some black belts. Back to the subject matter; A black belt test should be about the training you have received, not a triathalon. It's great that someone can run 2 plus miles and do 100 situps/pushups. All that shows is that this particular person has very good stamina, it is in no way indicative of any martial arts training or skills. As an instructor, it's my job to teach you what you came to me in the first place for, to learn martial arts. If you happen to get some needed physical fitness in the process, that's also good and is a part of the training, but it's not the focal point of that training.

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You might want to do a search I did a thread on this a few months ago and got quite a few responses. My Black Belt Test was one of those 3 day marathons which incorporated teaching evaluations, written test, essay's, 6 hour physical endurance test, and then a 5 hour technique test. I know with me I dreaded it before it, hated it while I was doing it, and could not be more proud of myself for completing it. Sometimes when you want something special you have to go thru alot to get it. A line from the movie A League of their Own comes to mind "Of course baseball is hard if it was easy everyone could do it"

OP
TKDmel

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You might want to do a search I did a thread on this a few months ago and got quite a few responses. My Black Belt Test was one of those 3 day marathons which incorporated teaching evaluations, written test, essay's, 6 hour physical endurance test, and then a 5 hour technique test. I know with me I dreaded it before it, hated it while I was doing it, and could not be more proud of myself for completing it. Sometimes when you want something special you have to go thru alot to get it. A line from the movie A League of their Own comes to mind "Of course baseball is hard if it was easy everyone could do it"

I applaud you on your dedication and apparent high level of physical fitness, and no doubt you should be proud of your accomplishment. I'm asking about different kinds of testing procedures to see the different ways instructors handle the diversity of students they may have. In your school, how would someone who obviously could not perform the trials you endured be accomodated. Are the requirements modified for people with disabilities? The mature student?(folks who may have started much later in life).

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What my child tested for 1st poom it was about 13 hours as I recall. 7AM-8PM on a Saturday. The test was comprised of:

10 -15 page essay turned in a week before testing
1 hour meditation
2 hours calisthenics
about 90 minute speech on how to be a good BB and what it means to take on such a role.
5-10 minute speeches by each person testing which basically everyone spoke on why they started TKD and their experiences getting to the level they were at now.
Poomseh
1 & 3 steps
Grabbing self-defense
1 v 1 sparring
1 v 3 sparring
Breaking
Oral test
Go home.

Over the 9 years that we have been at this we have seen testings vary from one group to another and 1 person to another. For instance we had a gentleman with terminal cancer and only months to live. His testing consisted of only light warmup, speech, poomseh, a few 1 & 3 steps, GSD, very light 1v1 sparring, simple break and oral test.

It does seem that testing has gotten easier over the years. Now BB tests at that school are about 4-5 hours and don't have nearly the physical impact that they used to. Perhaps that is one of the reasons we recently moved on from there as well.

OP
TKDmel

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
At the school I'm attending, there are two 6hr. candidates classes where they have: 1 hr. self defense drills
1 hr. one steps
1 hr. breaking
9 hr. poomse
These 2 classses determine who is ready to test. At the test they are required to perform any/all of the poomse in whatever order the masters see fit. Next is any/all of the 1 step sparring followed by any/all self-defense. A 3 station board break(1 bd. speed, 1 bd.hand, and 2 bd. power). 1v1 sparring(controlled contact). Fianally questions on history, tradition, etc. Later all the adult BBs and candidates go for dinner with the masters.
The masters are informed before the test, of any candidates who may have some permanent physical limitation, so as to be graded accordingly.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's not a lot of things needed for my black belt test, in a sense. As far as I know (I have a year to go before I test), I have to know the forms I'm doing now, self- defense, I forget exactly how many boards and thickness, plus I (goody for me) get to spar 2- on - one= I'm the "one". I really don't like sparring, but it's a requirement from yellow belt up, even though we don't get tested on that until our black belt test. Even though it's far enough away, I'm already feeling a good bit nervous! I think I'm going to try to make it up to an earlier testing, just to watch and see it performed. It's also an all day event, because a portion of it is individualized, and there's more than one school going. Then, when it's all finished, there's a cookout and a demonstration from the higher ranked black belts.

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In our schools we want the black belt tests and the training process leading up to it to be a growing process. It is to be the student's own "personal Olympics". For a minimum of 12 weeks prior to testing, the students are put on a strict training and nutrition regimen, including cardio, resistance training, and an average of six nutritionally balanced meals per day. During this time, they are also training hard on curriculum and refining that to new levels.

The discipline and intensity that they develop during this period is for most of them something that takes them to a whole new level. Everyone has different talents and abilities, but our goal is to take the individual further than they would have gone on their own (or ever imagined they could). A good percentage will, at least to a large extent, keep up the habits that they developed during this training period and for many it becomes part of their lifestyle (though I admit they might not be quite as strict).

We also have a much higher than usual retention of our students after reaching black belt. I feel many schools have a tendency to water down the standards for black belt in hopes of retaining students, both in time to achieve it and in the standards they expect for it. IMO, if they have not truly grown from the experience and feel a truly life changing sense of accomplishment, there is no real reason to stick around. Besides, our "product" as a school (and as an industry for that matter) is the quality of our advanced students, especially our black belts. If we put out a low quality product, then there is little or no value to it. This is why I feel that when a school or assn. diminishes the requirements for black belt, they hurt the reputation of us all and diminish (in the public perception) what others have worked so hard for.

All of our black belt candidates are required to have a doctor's exam before they begin this training. Any legitimate physical limitation that they have is noted and they are not responsible for on the test. We do try to come up with an alternative that they can safely do. This way, their own experience is the most it can possibly be.

I had a lady in her 50's who broke her back in an accident when she was a red belt (2nd gup). After therapy, she was able to resume training, but had some limitations. The surgeons had put concrete in her back to replace some of the damage to her spine. There were several things that could crack or break the concrete, so we had to be very careful of that. She used to be very good at sparring and was very gung ho about it and took it to ladies half her age, so I had NO hesitation about this area. She may no longer be able to take the impact, but I am very confident that she can be a very good coach to her juniors.

A major portion of our curriculum and testing requirements is BJJ and submission grappling, but with her back, that wouldn't be safe. We made sure that she could still coach it, but she was tested on Small Circle Jujitsu instead. That way, she knows that she HAS earned it and it was not a token "gift". She now volunteers her time to assist with our "Little Dragons" class working with the 4-7 year olds and she loves it and they love her. She also assists in the Ladies class and trains hard on what she can do.

I have junior black belt that at the age of 14 has had 6 strokes and 4 open heart surgeries. She is on the blood thinning drug, cummadin (spelling?) and because of this, if she takes an impact, she is on her way to the emergency room. Also because of complications of her health, her cognitive abilities are compromised. She came in as a white belt with these conditions and she will have to battle against them all her life. Where most of our students have a lot of contact in sparring, she spars non-contact and we pad her up from head to toe.

You know what? She has really good movement and technique, as well as good footwork and can control the setpoint far better than most people who are wearing black around their waist. As far as her conditioning goes, she has an artificial valve on her heart and it can only process so much at a time. And when she has to stop, she has to stop, but she has come SOOOOO much beyond what anyone ever thought she could. I am so proud of her, as are her parents and most importantly, herself.

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
It should be up to your teacher. Does there even need to be a specific test??
I have read of dojos where, loyal students who have worked hard and consistently have been surprised when their instructor awarded them with their belt "out of the blue". Saying that they are always assessing them every time they train, and feel they have earnt their belt.
Your teacher is there for your whole journey through the ranks and should know your abilities and disabilities, and your state of mind (in regards to your art).
A black belt is earnt over a long period of time, not on one specific testing day.

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think one of the best things about TKD is that really almost anyone can do it. If you set your mind to it and give 100% of YOUR ability, you will succeed. When I tested for 1st Dan in June I had the honor of testing with a young man who has won 3 national gold medals in sparring. Another candidate I was honored to test with was a young lady who is "challenged" shall we say. It was an interesting test because on one hand you have this naturally gifted athlete who has all the right moves, and on the other hand there is a girl who, when she started training years ago, had zero balance and stumbled over her own feet.

We all had the same test material. Were we graded differently? Of course. As an instructor you know what one persons 100% is compared to another student's. We are not all expected to be Jet Li, but we are expected to be the best "Jen" we can be. At the end of the day, we all had felt like we had been hit by a truck, because we all went hard, all test long.

It's been said here before that the BB test is actually just a formality. You have already proven you are worthy of BB by all you have done up to that point. No instructor wants to endorse a student who clearly isn't ready/worthy of BB. Hope that makes sense.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think one of the best things about TKD is that really almost anyone can do it. If you set your mind to it and give 100% of YOUR ability, you will succeed. When I tested for 1st Dan in June I had the honor of testing with a young man who has won 3 national gold medals in sparring. Another candidate I was honored to test with was a young lady who is "challenged" shall we say. It was an interesting test because on one hand you have this naturally gifted athlete who has all the right moves, and on the other hand there is a girl who, when she started training years ago, had zero balance and stumbled over her own feet.

We all had the same test material. Were we graded differently? Of course. As an instructor you know what one persons 100% is compared to another student's. We are not all expected to be Jet Li, but we are expected to be the best "Jen" we can be. At the end of the day, we all had felt like we had been hit by a truck, because we all went hard, all test long.

It's been said here before that the BB test is actually just a formality. You have already proven you are worthy of BB by all you have done up to that point. No instructor wants to endorse a student who clearly isn't ready/worthy of BB. Hope that makes sense.

Precisely! Your instructor/ instructors know where your best is- they're the one's that have been training you, guiding you, and even testing you. Even if you didn't get a belt at those "test" times, they're checking your strengths and weaknesses, and refining those areas.

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I applaud you on your dedication and apparent high level of physical fitness, and no doubt you should be proud of your accomplishment. I'm asking about different kinds of testing procedures to see the different ways instructors handle the diversity of students they may have. In your school, how would someone who obviously could not perform the trials you endured be accomodated. Are the requirements modified for people with disabilities? The mature student?(folks who may have started much later in life).

Yes, there are differences and my instructor takes things into account, there are different requirements for different ages and abilities. We just had a test where someone with a back condition had his test modifies to something he was able to do.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A black belt exam can be difficult, or easy, depending on the school and especially the student, and still be considered valid.

Here's why:

Some schools make the test a difficult (but not impossible) barrier, in which the student must really bear down, and kick things up to the next level. Sometimes, it becomes a matter of how far can a student push himself.

Some schools view the test as one that occurs over a long period of time, and that how one carries himself on a consistent basis in the dojang, is the true measure of how good of a martial artist he is. The test is merely a formality in these cases.

Which way is better? It really doesn't matter. Both methods can separate the dedicated from the lax, etc. As long as the student has been challenged to constantly improve himself throughout the years, then I would view either method as quite usable.

Now, where I get irked, is when someone trains lackidaisically, and then happens to really crank it up just for the purpose of an examination. IMHO, the student in question shouldn't have even received the chance to take the exam, but to each his own. There has to be some measure of consistency.

It's also the same for the person who trains consistently well, and yet flops on the exam; he must be able to perform to specs when push comes to shove.

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
Well for my self and DOJO, I just had my First student who i started with the first class and have worked with in group classes and private class become a 1st degree black belt. He 76 years of age would have trouble with my normal 2 day test. that pushes you and what not. I
do change the test do to physical issues, age and what not. Does this take away from the test. i do not think so. I may add more written things or less. Or add a extra mile of running if the student is in just great shape.
If the person testing is ready and has the info and can teach it or show it and what not and I feel he is a example of the martial art he is going for BB in then yes he or she should get it. age, physical should not hold anyone back from getting there goal.
I also agree with the comment, that if thay are lazy and what not and just getting by then maybe not test them until thay show the level that a BB should be at in mind, body and sole...
my 2 cents,
kosho

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our testing process lasts for 6 months. You are constantly observed during every class and occasionally on the street. The test comes to a head in the last two weeks and finishes with the "50 man fight" on the final night. It is the most brutal thing I have ever been through and I am happy to not have to go through it again any time soon.

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Our testing process lasts for 6 months. You are constantly observed during every class and occasionally on the street. The test comes to a head in the last two weeks and finishes with the "50 man fight" on the final night. It is the most brutal thing I have ever been through and I am happy to not have to go through it again any time soon.

Searcher, enlighten us what is the "50 man fight"?

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
WOW 50 man fight... I can think of what this is but. I don't know of anyone who could truly take on 50 people and live. unless it is a 1 at a time and you have so much time to take them out before the next person steps in????
Kosho

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Searcher, enlighten us what is the "50 man fight"?

It is a smaller variation of what Mas Oyama did back in the day. Basically it is a non-stop cycle of fighting in which one fighter gets a new opponent every minute for 1 hr. It is actually 59 matches, but we have always called it the "50" man fight. We use it in a full-contact sparring fashion. People can, and do, get hurt and sometimes even knocked out. All of our adult BB go through it a some variation of it for their 1st Dan. The 50 man fight is the reason that our BB tests take 6 months. It is the time for the candidate to prepare.

Latest Discussions