what styles give you fits?

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In kung fu, I am a bird stylist (eagle claw, white crane, shaolin nine birds), and also a Yang tai chi stylist, so after 31 years ( I also wrestled 4 years in high school so have some ground but at 5'4" 150 lbs do not go there if I can avoid it...LOL), in the Chinese arts snake stylists and mantis stylists are the hardest for me. The snake because very elusive and fast, so very hard to apply my locks or fly above, especially if your senior is 14 inches taller, 170 lbs more and faster than you, plus 15 years younger (we both have 31 years, but he started at age 5 and I at age 18 after the 4 years of wrestling). The mantis, because like eagle claw and white crane, the mantis is very adept at locking and using that bridge to attack with great legs, etc. Most other martial arts do not give me much trouble, for one reason I competed for 18 years against tae kwon do, karate, Filipino, etc so I understand their good and bad points, like any other martial art including mine!

In all though, I must admit the style of one's art has never given me as much trouble as the man and skill. Especially if they understand the importance of footwork, have good fa jing, went through the Shaolin body training I did (ouch just thinking about those 7 years), are natural now rather than worrying about technique, get there sooner rather than quicker/faster, calm with mind at peace and little emotion while fighting, etc. Those kind of people are scary, no matter what the style!!! That is why, I usually try to observe one's tendencies and one's body movements unique to them, then react naturally to the changing conditions.

AGAIN, AFTER A CERTAIN LEVEL, IT IS NOT THE STYLE THAT SHOULD GIVE YOU FITS, IT IS THE PERSON EXECUTING IT!!!

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
a well rounded wrestler is a handful, plain & simple. i couldn't do anything with them until i started training judo & sambo. there are a lot of little sweeps & trips that they often don't expect. sacrifice throws seem to upset their game too, since going to one's own back is alien to them. as for submitting them...well, just hope they don't have much submission training!

jf

That'sthe one area where I feel I have a real advantage against wrestler...on my back. They're just not used to it...

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
spitting at them as a feint to make them make the first move(even though it's an evade move by moving thei head aside) usually does the trick.

Otherwise,don't do that.It's not polite :)

How do you spit with your mouth guard in place?? That's like putting your head under your blanket and farting...

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
The fighting style that gives me the hardest time (in competition sparring) are those people with long legs that just hold there leg up and just hold it there and as soon as you move in they tag you. They don't even put any power in the kick but they get the point for the kick. These people would be easy to defeat in a real fight but it just ticks me off in competition when they do this. I want to say to the "come on, fight me you coward. Stop with this BS and fight".

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
In kung fu, I am a bird stylist (eagle claw, white crane, shaolin nine birds), and also a Yang tai chi stylist, so after 31 years ( I also wrestled 4 years in high school so have some ground but at 5'4" 150 lbs do not go there if I can avoid it...LOL), in the Chinese arts snake stylists and mantis stylists are the hardest for me. The snake because very elusive and fast, so very hard to apply my locks or fly above, especially if your senior is 14 inches taller, 170 lbs more and faster than you, plus 15 years younger (we both have 31 years, but he started at age 5 and I at age 18 after the 4 years of wrestling). The mantis, because like eagle claw and white crane, the mantis is very adept at locking and using that bridge to attack with great legs, etc. Most other martial arts do not give me much trouble, for one reason I competed for 18 years against tae kwon do, karate, Filipino, etc so I understand their good and bad points, like any other martial art including mine!

In all though, I must admit the style of one's art has never given me as much trouble as the man and skill. Especially if they understand the importance of footwork, have good fa jing, went through the Shaolin body training I did (ouch just thinking about those 7 years), are natural now rather than worrying about technique, get there sooner rather than quicker/faster, calm with mind at peace and little emotion while fighting, etc. Those kind of people are scary, no matter what the style!!! That is why, I usually try to observe one's tendencies and one's body movements unique to them, then react naturally to the changing conditions.

AGAIN, AFTER A CERTAIN LEVEL, IT IS NOT THE STYLE THAT SHOULD GIVE YOU FITS, IT IS THE PERSON EXECUTING IT!!!

interesting post, i'm just learning about CMA & it's good to read a comparison of the various animal styles that i mostly know just from movies.

my kickboxing coach is one of those unnervingly calm people you mentioned. he's also a dragon stylist & also teaches wu style tai chi.

i wanted to clarify for some people though that i'm not talking about what martial arts style gives you fits (though feel free to share that as well) but what style of fighter. for example, you'll hear boxing commentators talk about the boxer, the slugger, the boxer/puncher, etc. their style is 'boxing' but each fighter does it different.

or look at wrestling: people assume that a good wrestlers have skills that translate directly to mma. but i've run into great wreslters who had really bad takedowns because they scored all their points on the mat. another wrestler had a great single leg for wrestling, but he "milked" the move & would eat a dozens of unanswered punches while working his standard takedown in mma. fighters make the styles, of course. that said the guys that are tough for me tend to have common traits or approaches.

jf

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nevermind...LOL!!! Sorry if I misinterpreted your question, but still a great topic.

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I sometimes run into people who when sparring me RUN! And they run if I throw or fake, or foot switch, or blink, or think about blinking, and it gives me trouble because if I throw something, or step up to attack, and they run away, it for some reason throws me off.

Im not sure how to fix it, my instructor says they are intimidated. Anybody else have this give you problems? If so, how did you fix it?

Nice topic by the way.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I sometimes run into people who when sparring me RUN! And they run if I throw or fake, or foot switch, or blink, or think about blinking, and it gives me trouble because if I throw something, or step up to attack, and they run away, it for some reason throws me off.

Im not sure how to fix it, my instructor says they are intimidated. Anybody else have this give you problems? If so, how did you fix it?

Nice topic by the way.

if they are running because they are intimidated, you've already won :). seriously, it's pretty hard to deal with a marathoner unless you have a ring or a padded corner to back them into. it may be kind of a jerk move, but i usually kind of showboat with these guys. turn my back on them, drop my guard, etc. they already let you in their head, you might as well play around in there!

jf

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tai Chi....for one I have yet to see someone who actually uses it in a fight,
I don't believe that anyone teaches the true combat form of Tai Chi,and some will tell you it is for self defense.The other is Choy Lay Fut can anyone tell me about the Choy Lay.... Wing Tsun rivalry? is any of this confusing? I thought so...

Yew

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How do you spit with your mouth guard in place?? That's like putting your head under your blanket and farting...

Did I say I was in an art which uses a mouthpiece? :D

hogstooth

Green Belt
Reaction score
I had problems as a kid with guys that shoot in and tackle you,wrestlers. I finally figured it out. I am tall so like to fight on the outside from angles. I have a student that finds a way to get inside and he sometimes gives me grief. But thats what is so great about obstacles, figuring out how to overcome them.

Latest Discussions