what size is good for combat

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I AM not fantcy base ninja I DO training morden form of ninjutsu we do traning gun war fair as will first gun was tengasshum japaness mustket that trun samuai to gun then shinobi yes some samurai was ninja also but most was higher ro retaaned by them a spy if figer it sword dont run out bullet and use after gun is used..

Billy,

I was saying that you could be mistaken for a fantasy ninjutsu student (Koga Ryu, Ashida Kim, Frank Dux, Christa Jacobson, Mountainous etc) by asking about "sword for combat". And I probably know more about the history than you do, so you know. The early matchlock rifles were brought into Tanegashima Island, the Daimyo there bought three, and ordered his swordsmith to make copies. As a result, early matchlock rifles are sometimes called "Tanegashima"; they can also be called Hinawa, or a few other names. And the great majority of "ninja" were samurai, not just some of them.

I know you've said that you hold a Shodan rank (black belt), who was your teacher? When did you test for your black belt? What was the test itself? I'm just curious for the minute.

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A sword in combat wasn't a bad idea. Nowadays it is because I can't really think of a scenario in modern times where a sword would be the best weapon to use unless zombies start attacking(Unless you just like cutting people). Even in feudal Japan the sword was an auxiliary weapon. The primary weapons like Chris said would be Bow/Arrow and Spear. Now this was with the Katana. The Tachi used from horseback which was also "curved" but much longer was a very good weapon for quick slashing cuts while riding horseback. While a stabbing weapon would be more prone to getting stuck or breaking.
Also I think "modern form of Ninjutsu" is kind of misleading. Since Ninjutsu is an ancient art.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends on the combat. Battlefield? Nope. Dueling? Yeah, sure. Modern? Well, you'll end up on the evening news being hosed down with high power water cannons, or pelted with beanbags and tear gas, but what the hell, go for it! Just don't expect success...

Studying sword from a historical point of view, to attain a particular mindset (or mentality), to improve senses of distance, angling, timing, fantastic. But when someone talks about "what size (sword) is good for combat?", and is talking in the modern sense, that's when we start getting concerned.

Frankly Ninjutsu has a bad enough image as it is, Billy, and his lack of any real knowledge or understanding, doesn't help.

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Historical perspective is fine. You are unlikely to need a sword for real combat these days, but knowing how to use one and how to defend against it is still something good to know. There's always a few 'cops stop machete swinging nutter' or 'wannabe ninja shot by cops' stories in the news. I know enough to know safe handling, which way to parry and what to look for to tell quality from wall hanger. Beyond that, swords aren't my thing. Well, except for my gladius. :rofl:

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The pointy end part goes in the other guy...right? Or is that just koryu? :)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Remember "Sword is personal weapon. When slicing thru a man you get that immediate feedback." Lo Wang, the Shadow Warrior.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can't be the only one thinking life isn't too far off from becoming like the movie The Book of Eli. When you run out of ammo for the post apocolyptic future you may find yourself asking "what size sword is good for combat".

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't be the only one thinking life isn't too far off from becoming like the movie The Book of Eli. When you run out of ammo for the post apocolyptic future you may find yourself asking "what size sword is good for combat".
In Postapocalyptia, wouldnt it be the sharp one?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I still favor a wakizashi. lightweight, easily maneuvered in tight places, easily concealed under a long coat. Downside is you have to get in close. Applying the "ROTLA" concept, it's also not a smart thing against someone with a gun.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Billy,

I was saying that you could be mistaken for a fantasy ninjutsu student (Koga Ryu, Ashida Kim, Frank Dux, Christa Jacobson, Mountainous etc) by asking about "sword for combat". And I probably know more about the history than you do, so you know. The early matchlock rifles were brought into Tanegashima Island, the Daimyo there bought three, and ordered his swordsmith to make copies. As a result, early matchlock rifles are sometimes called "Tanegashima"; they can also be called Hinawa, or a few other names. And the great majority of "ninja" were samurai, not just some of them.

I know you've said that you hold a Shodan rank (black belt), who was your teacher? When did you test for your black belt? What was the test itself? I'm just curious for the minute.

For the record, most dux-ryu students would be using a knife or a gun, not a sword.

(Before you go crazy on that statement, do remember I quit training with him.)
Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

There's a lotta bullets out there that need to be used up first. But then, yeah, blades don't need reloading, to quote from Max Brooks.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have my wakazashi just in case I make it into the Freehold army, a machete for the zombie apocalypse, and like a million throwing knives... for DUCK HUNTING!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with a Gladius. It's optimized for in-close work. It'll also crack those wakitaki toothpicks dude :lol.

Oh, the OP's moved on to blogging about how mean we are, and bugging the folks at "martialartstalk.com" and ranting at Google. In case anyone cared, which I know most don't. :roflmao:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The OP's not here to reply, lets not snipe at him. Not what we do here.
Thanks.