body size, arm size... helps locks?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've a relatively tall guy with long arms. the other night in class we were doing some locks. Some of the others in our class were having a bit of a hard time with some that I found relatively easy. Some they were doing I found a bit challenging to get my arms to cooperate. The biggest physical difference was body size and arm length. Is this fairly common? Do you find yourself emphasizing/favoring certain techniques based on your body dynamics? How important do you consider these things?

I'm the biggest member of our group by about 3-4 inches. Do you think this would be a problem if I were to find myself confronted by someone bigger? I guess I'm thinking more with regard to locks rather than just a normal confrontation.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
I've a relatively tall guy with long arms. the other night in class we were doing some locks. Some of the others in our class were having a bit of a hard time with some that I found relatively easy. Some they were doing I found a bit challenging to get my arms to cooperate. The biggest physical difference was body size and arm length.
mrhnau said:
Is this fairly common?
Yes, depending on where each person is in their training.

mrhnau said:
Do you find yourself emphasizing/favoring certain techniques based on your body dynamics?
Yes, and no. I occasionally catch myself moving a certain way instead of moving how the instructor had showed us because I am doing what I know how to, but I try do what he shows us, because I need to be working on what I DON'T know how to do. In time it then becomes easy.

mrhnau said:
How important do you consider these things?
I remember a phrase my instructors have told me several times... "Stop doing that, you already know how to do that, do something different." I don't have a favorite movement, technique, or weapon. They are all just tools.

mrhnau said:
Do you think this would be a problem if I were to find myself confronted by someone bigger?
That would depend on you and where you are with your training. Only you can answer that.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
I remember a phrase my instructors have told me several times... "Stop doing that, you already know how to do that, do something different."

Yours too huh?

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I too am slightly taller than most others I have trained with, but the biggest difference is arm length (I stand 6"2" but fingertip to fingertip is 6'7") and I also find that some locks are very difficult to do, while others come quite easy. Practice makes better, and soon you will find those that did give you fits just a couple of weeks ago are now much improved and much easier. I still have a LONG, LONG way to go, but the training journey, while fustrating at times, is wonderful to be on!

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
Remember that all effective joint locks that are based on pain compliance are based on the position of the fulcrums. You can place these locks on ten different folks and have your effective position be different on all ten, but the proportionate placement of the fulcriums will be virtually the same. Work on getting the feel of where those fulcrums are and you'll be able to effectively use the locks regardless of the body type of your opponent (or your body type). Hope this makes sense.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
bdparsons said:
Remember that all effective joint locks that are based on pain compliance are based on the position of the fulcrums.

I don't have any experience with the art you practice, but none of our locks or controlling holds are BASED on pain compliance.

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nimravus said:
I don't have any experience with the art you practice, but none of our locks or controlling holds are BASED on pain compliance.

While that is true, what he says about "position of the fulcrums" (relative to your own body) still pretty much holds. And he implies that you may have to adjust your body movement and positioning a bit differently with different people in order to obtain this. Overall, I rather like it.