best martial arts book of all time

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
frank raud said:
Full-Contact Karate is an excellent book, well worth finding for anyone interested in kickboxing. Jean-Yves will be releasing a new book in May, I don't have any info on whether it wil be an auto-biography or another technique book like Full-Contact Karate, either way it will be an exciting new book on the subject.

I can't wait. Either an auto-biography or a another technique/training book would be interesting. I'm sure he's learned a lot since he rote his 1st one.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
I can't wait. Either an auto-biography or a another technique/training book would be interesting. I'm sure he's learned a lot since he rote his 1st one.

I knew I had some info on the book
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Finally the silence is broken, Jean-Yves Theriault aka "The ICEMAN" will be launching his book called "ICEMAN: KICKBOXING LEGEND JEAN-YVES THERIAULT". He will be officially launching his book at the WKF World Elite Budo Convention and Competition 2006.
Some of the other special guests include Robin Gracie of the famous Gracie family of Brazil, Kyoshi Alain Sailly (France), Kyoshi Cesar Borkowski (Karate), Kyoshi Kevin Blok (Aikido), and Kyoshi John Therien (Jiu-Jitsu).

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tao of Jeet Kune Do -- Bruce Lee
Mastering Kenpo: The Path to Excellence -- Skip Hancock
Mastering JuJitsu -- Renzo Gracie

Kwiter

Green Belt
Reaction score
My favorite book was Secrets of Dim Mak or something like that, was always a Pressure Point and bending oppononts body parts around geek ;-)

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Maybe the best book will be the one that You create. All of your thoughts gathered from all you've heard, read, seen, done, and listened to. It will be full of stuff that appeals to you directly, how you did it, what changes you made, and how you should do it. Techniques and philosophy from yourself. Can't beat that for insight!

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Zen in the Martial Arts

Karate-Do My Way of Life

The Bubishi

Shotokan Secrets

These books have all influenced me in one way or another. There are others but to many to list.

In the spirit of Bushido!

Rob

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Has anyone read Funikoshi's (sp?) book? I've heard good things about it.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
Has anyone read Funikoshi's (sp?) book? I've heard good things about it.
Which one?

To-te Jitsu
Karate-do Nyumon
Karate-do Kyohan
Karate-do: My Way of Life
The Twenty Guiding Principles of Karate

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
HAGAKURE(The Book of the Samurai)
By:Yamamoto Tsunetomo

This is probably one of the most influential samurai books ever written.It introduces the true spitit of Bushido in a very graphic;non- romanticized fashion.For me it was a debut introduction to the ideal of honor and cherishing every aspect of life in every moment of consciousness.

Ross

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Slihn said:
HAGAKURE(The Book of the Samurai)
By:Yamamoto Tsunetomo

This is probably one of the most influential samurai books ever written.It introduces the true spitit of Bushido in a very graphic;non- romanticized fashion.For me it was a debut introduction to the ideal of honor and cherishing every aspect of life in every moment of consciousness.

Have to agree with you there - great book and gives a real insight into their mindset.

I'd also add:

Infinite Insights - Ed Parker (of course)
Dead or Alive - Geoff Thompson (fantastic book for getting into the mindset and psychology of attackers on the street - very practical)
Angry White Pyjamas - Robert Twigger (a real eye opener about the Toyko Riot police force and how they train)
and of course Big Ears goes fishing! lol :)

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ross said:
Have to agree with you there - great book and gives a real insight into their mindset.

...yeah that is the book the got me into the entire conept of Bushido.I had been exposed to it before through Jujitsu classes,but through that book I saw the beauty of Bushido and decieded to incorpate it into my lifestlye.

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:
did you guys see that indie film 'ghost dog?'. hagakure figured pretty heavily in it, and it didn't do a bad job as such things go.
Yep, Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai is a fantastic, subtle, *cool* and vastly underrated movie - it's got everything: sword, gun, auto theft, a rapping mafioso [classic!], an interspersion with lines from the Hagakure [which actually drives the story itself] and of course pigeons, LOL!

Personally, I couldn't recommend it highly enough - an intelligent alternative movie for all you discerning martial artists out there.

Respects!

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:
did you guys see that indie film 'ghost dog?'. hagakure figured pretty heavily in it, and it didn't do a bad job as such things go.

..yeah I saw it too;that movie is acutally where I first heard of the Hagakure.