What martial arts should I study?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
seeing it everywhere makes it very much objective, not just "my experience". but it's okay. also often i see that people don't want to hear, that what they did and believed in for many years might have major weaknesses.

The above is correct. It is also correct that you not being able to make a technique work doesn't mean no one else can.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can position yourself so that a grab is an over-reach, and as for punches, you watch your opponent. If they fail at repositioning right away, they will probably be open for a break, upon you getting out of the way, which means, side step, and slap at the elbow, he left hanging.

In the Hapkido I learned we often anticipated a nearly certain reaction of the attacker and made that part of our defensive technique, using his actions/reactions against him.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok. Sexy arm scissor breaks. There are two ways I can actually get this sort of thing on.

Either they are doing that irritating move where they hang an arm in your face. And I just start scissor punching them until they stop.

Or I have done can arm drag to two on one control.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Traditionally when the cops came the music would change and it would become a samba de roda.
Yeah...maybe.

I think there was simply no hiding the martial intent of capoeira, even if it could have a playful aspect. The cops knew exactly what was up, they knew what capoeira was. Changing the music didn't hide that. Changing it to a samba, well now it's no longer capoeira, it's samba.

African cultures tended to bring music and rhythm into many aspects of life, and there is no reason that wouldn't hold true for fight training as well. The notion that capoeira was disguised successfully as a dance is, I'm afraid, a myth.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I meant it couldn't actually work against a gun.
Basically everyone is saying that this technique is pretty common among martial arts such as jiujutsu, kung fu, hapkido etc., if I'm not mistaken
lol.. just from having experience of having someone point a gun at me twice. Distance is everything, and a reality for me was that I wasn't going to try too many techniques other than thinking and trying to deescalate the situation. Trying to break the arm of that person wasn't the first thought. I spent more time trying to slowly position myself so I could be in a better position to react if I thought the trigger would be pulled. Breaking arms wasn't in the playbook at that time. From what happened to me and what I've seen, guns aren't usually pulled out within punching range. They are usually pulled when you are too far to attack them and too close to run away.

The arm break from your clip is most likely to happen when both people are fighting with with their hands. Most people with guns understand not to let the person they are pointing the gun at to get close like what was in the video clip you posted.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The above is correct. It is also correct that you not being able to make a technique work doesn't mean no one else can.
What is also correct is that there is a time and a place and a context, within training, when it is appropriate to work through a technique in a slow and methodical manner, even to the point of being exaggerated. And this does not mean that there is any expectation that you would actually fight that way, or that your attacker would attack you in that way. Context is everything.

OP
L

Ledz96

White Belt
Reaction score
Do you guys know anything about silat? I've seen some techniques online: sometimes it seems pretty much rude, some others both boring and ineffective.
Among the ones you mentioned, I think I'll gather informations on Wing Chun (the whole trapping part is great!), Akijujutisu, Hapkido and maybe wrestling.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you're looking for a martial art that you can train for a long time and be happy, you're going about this the wrong way...

Don't look for an art. Look for a dojo. No two teachers of any style, even within the same organization and from the same teacher will teach the same way.

Visit as many schools as you can that fit your schedule and budget. Look at what they're doing. Does it make sense to you? Is the teacher someone you can learn from, regardless of his personal skill level (a great practicioner and great teacher aren't always the same thing)? Are the students people who you would like to train alongside?

Let's suspend reality and say BJJ is better than Kyokushin karate in every way. What if the BJJ teacher doesn't manage his class well? What if the students are a bunch of people who aren't very serious and just going through the motions? What if the Kyokushin teacher runs the class like clockwork, and the students are hardcore and all working together to improve?

I've seen enough good and bad examples of too many arts to say some are inherently better than others.

The right school will keep you interested. The right school is a combination of the right teachers and students for your goals.

OP
L

Ledz96

White Belt
Reaction score
If you're looking for a martial art that you can train for a long time and be happy, you're going about this the wrong way...

Don't look for an art. Look for a dojo. No two teachers of any style, even within the same organization and from the same teacher will teach the same way.

Visit as many schools as you can that fit your schedule and budget. Look at what they're doing. Does it make sense to you? Is the teacher someone you can learn from, regardless of his personal skill level (a great practicioner and great teacher aren't always the same thing)? Are the students people who you would like to train alongside?

Let's suspend reality and say BJJ is better than Kyokushin karate in every way. What if the BJJ teacher doesn't manage his class well? What if the students are a bunch of people who aren't very serious and just going through the motions? What if the Kyokushin teacher runs the class like clockwork, and the students are hardcore and all working together to improve?

I've seen enough good and bad examples of too many arts to say some are inherently better than others.

The right school will keep you interested. The right school is a combination of the right teachers and students for your goals.

All you've said is true, but there's a "limitation". I'll try with a metaphor. Let's say I really enjoy rock music (which is true, btw) and I want to play a musical instrument: I'd obviously prefer playing the bass in a band with people I like than playing the guitar with some stupid guys I don't appreciate and maybe I'm not even going to talk to. But I'm definitely not going to play piano in an orchestra, even if all the others musiscians are my good friends.
I'm trying to figure out what martial arts I could like in terms of style: then I think I'll choose among them, mostly depending on the teacher and the class.
Thanks for your advice, anyway. I won't forget that the school is one of the most important things to consider :)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
All you've said is true, but there's a "limitation". I'll try with a metaphor. Let's say I really enjoy rock music (which is true, btw) and I want to play a musical instrument: I'd obviously prefer playing the bass in a band with people I like than playing the guitar with some stupid guys I don't appreciate and maybe I'm not even going to talk to. But I'm definitely not going to play piano in an orchestra, even if all the others musiscians are my good friends.
I'm trying to figure out what martial arts I could like in terms of style: then I think I'll choose among them, mostly depending on the teacher and the class.
Thanks for your advice, anyway. I won't forget that the school is one of the most important things to consider :)

I like your analogy. Everyone's got their own path to follow. There's just too many threads asking which is the better art IMO.

See what's realistically possible in your area, and narrow it down. No sense researching modern arnis or savate nor anything else that's not within a reasonable drive.

I'd really like to study Uechi Ryu as I've seen it taught in Okinawa with all the body hardening/conditioning. The only Uechi Ryu school near me is an hour away, and they don't do anything like I've seen online.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
An art I'd really like to try out is Kajukenbo. I saw the Fight Quest episode of it, and it looked like everything I think should me in an MA/the physical side of self defense. There's a local Kajukenbo school here, but it wasn't anything like the show. Teacher and students make or break a dojo.

Latest Discussions