What martial arts should I study?

OP
L

Ledz96

White Belt
Reaction score
Ledz, some things to consider -

You're probably paying tuition to study TKD. And you're about to get your driver's license, which is going to be an added expense because you're going to want to drive everywhere (just like the rest of us when we got ours) To take up another art will be another tuition.

You're young, you got lots of time. Maybe just stay with TKD for now and pursue other methods of research. List every art near you, get all the info from them - then go study all you can about each art (on line, a library, buy books, ask people here, etc) make it like a research project for yourself. Keep a big notebook.

See if there are any seminars of the arts you might be interested in, in an area near enough for you to get to. Go to one and talk to all the other attendees there.

But keep going to your dojo in the meantime.

Thanks for your advice :)
I asked in this forum in order to get a good overview: I'm not going to start any art unless I'm 100% sure (or as close as possible to 100%) it will become an important part of my life, like tkd has.
I'll try the "notebook" method, i think it will worth it! :)

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
for being more detailed, when african slaves came to brasil and were forbidden to learn fighting techniques they disguised it as dancing. i like to make it short. for more, i think, google or wikipedia are good sources.

back to the first question, since you have already a standup background i'd prefer a ground fighting art to get well rounded. so for example judo, jiu jitsu or submission wrestling if possible.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm afraid your references are not the best in the world...
If you want martial arts names, they are there (2nd video).
If you want cinematographic choreographies... Keysi Movie Action. ;)

Do you know Hapkido?

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hapkido would be best, if its somewhere nearby him.
he'd remember many from taekwondo; the striking and kicking style as well as the korean terms. then there's locking and throwing like in aikido and judo, ground fighting, less than in jiu jitsu, but at least like in judo, i think, and then there are several weapons, from staff to sword.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
for being more detailed, when african slaves came to brasil and were forbidden to learn fighting techniques they disguised it as dancing. i like to make it short. for more, i think, google or wikipedia are good sources.

back to the first question, since you have already a standup background i'd prefer a ground fighting art to get well rounded. so for example judo, jiu jitsu or submission wrestling if possible.
I spent several years training capoeira and am well familiar with the history. The "dance" aspect is inappropriately misunderstood and over-emphasized by the general public. And the method can be quite useful as a fighting method, tho that would be different from the "game" of capoeira as played in the Roda. There is overlap and it cannot be strictly pigeon-holed. But most people do not understand this, so it's ok

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
well i wouldn't breakdance when being attacked, but yes, there are very strong kicks in it and it also was useful in mma, so it's no insult here. but for making dancebattles in the streets or at the beach with good music, it's still also a dancing style.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well i wouldn't breakdance when being attacked, but yes, there are very strong kicks in it and it also was useful in mma, so it's no insult here. but for making dancebattles in the streets or at the beach with good music, it's still also a dancing style.
Well no, it's not a dancing style. Yes, it is my understanding that break dancing was influenced by capoeira, and I had the opportunity to briefly meet the man who was probably responsible for that influence. But capoeira is not a dance, tho it does contain some dance-like aspects that can be seen in various aspects of African cultures, especially from the pre-colonial and colonial eras. But that is not the same as being a dance.

OP
L

Ledz96

White Belt
Reaction score

I already know a bit about capoeira, mainly thanks to tekken-related stuffs :)
It's interesting, but I feel like it wouldn't "complete" my formation as a martial artist

hapkido would be best, if its somewhere nearby him.
he'd remember many from taekwondo; the striking and kicking style as well as the korean terms. then there's locking and throwing like in aikido and judo, ground fighting, less than in jiu jitsu, but at least like in judo, i think, and then there are several weapons, from staff to sword.

I'll do some research on hapkido! Does it include techniques which could be helpful also in self-defense? Are they in some way similar to the ones shown in the video?
Concerning the weapons, I'm thinking about escrima (got to know that martial art thanks to DD) or kendo (always liked it).

I'm afraid your references are not the best in the world...
If you want martial arts names, they are there (2nd video).
If you want cinematographic choreographies... Keysi Movie Action. ;)

Do you know Hapkido?

Well, I want martial arts names, but I'm afraid that not all of them are included in the video. Morover, it talks about "kung fu", which is a bit general; and I'm also interested in the locking/joint breaking part, which I think is the most useful for self defense (even if it's better just to lock and threaten, if you can) and is not mentioned in the video.
I'll do some digging about Hapkido! :D

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hapkido is for self defense. it has its weaknesses like all styles (as i mentioned earlier, people don't freeze after punching so one can grab or lock their arms) but you have that in every traditional style. hapkido has a lot of these armlocks you want. and hapkido is, from what i saw, less stiff in its exercises than others like karate. i saw even shadow boxing combinations there, so they are more dynamic than many other traditional styles.

OP
L

Ledz96

White Belt
Reaction score
hapkido is for self defense. it has its weaknesses like all styles (as i mentioned earlier, people don't freeze after punching so one can grab or lock their arms) but you have that in every traditional style. hapkido has a lot of these armlocks you want. and hapkido is, from what i saw, less stiff in its exercises than others like karate. i saw even shadow boxing combinations there, so they are more dynamic than many other traditional styles.

What do you mean with "freezing after punching"? :bookworm:

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
something like this, this is very common in traditional arts and also trained that way when not for showing purposes
but punching people pull their arms back, maybe for the next strike, so if that would work, they'd do it in boxing and mma and wherever. but except of that i couldn't praise hapkido more. :D

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

It is influenced by ritual. But is also trained alive. It is kind of a weird blend.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
1) With regards to the general question of "which art should I study?", read this post, which really should be stickied at the top of this subforum.

2) With regards to the Daredevil choreography - most of the techniques (other than the flippy, spinny, flying bits) can be found in a variety of arts - karate, kung fu, krav maga, etc. The choreographer wasn't trying to portray a specific art, but rather create a recognizable personal fighting style for the character. The arm break from the first clip can be found in many arts, but realistically that particular application is a very low-percentage move in a real fight. The flippy, spinny bits are examples of what is commonly referred to as "tricking" = i.e. acrobatic moves intended primarily for demonstration rather than actual martial application.

3) With regards to "sharpening your senses", the common pop-culture idea of the martial artist with extraordinary senses (for hearing ninjas creeping up from behind or some such) is pretty much a myth. What you might actually learn in the right setting is pattern recognition - the ability to recognize danger early because you understand the context in which it arises and the cues that indicate something bad is about to go down. I wouldn't count on learning that at most schools, regardless of style, however.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
people don't freeze after punching so one can grab or lock their arms) but you have that in every traditional style.
Again, no.

Some people train poorly. That is not the same as an issue being inherent in a particular style.

OP
L

Ledz96

White Belt
Reaction score
something like this, this is very common in traditional arts and also trained that way when not for showing purposes
but punching people pull their arms back, maybe for the next strike, so if that would work, they'd do it in boxing and mma and wherever. but except of that i couldn't praise hapkido more. :D

Got it!
Maybe some boxing could help me cover this disadvantage?

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
nope the styles do so. we did in karate (one of the reasons i left), the guys i watched at the german hapkido championship did and every people in every traditional style youtube videos do. its just common.

yes, boxing would help. did so too.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
nope the styles do so. we did in karate (one of the reasons i left), the guys i watched at the german hapkido championship did and every people in every traditional style youtube videos do. its just common.

There is a proper context for it, otherwise it is a common, poor practice. It is not inherent in the style as how you fight. You apparently trained in a school that fell into this trap, or didn't understand the training context in which a slower, more methodical approach to the technique made sense. Context is important. It's not simply all the time.

You had this experience, but that is not the same experience that I had. You claim all traditional systems have this failing. Speak for yourself, but not for me. That's not my experience, at least not with the more knowledgeable instructors that I have had.

Maybe you had poor instructors.

OP
L

Ledz96

White Belt
Reaction score

I'll definitely go with boxing, escrima and something like hapkido, wing chun or (japanese) jiujutsu. I'd also like to try ninjutsu, but I'd have to check if it's well tought.
What do you suggest in order to understand if a master is actually skilled?
Also, what do you think about silat? Does anyone know something about it?

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
my school was in worlds biggest karate federation and we also did training/seminars with other schools.
just search for straight punch defense on youtube and you'll see what i am talking about. one of the hapkido guys at the championships didn't even know what to do when his partner accidently made the punch with the wrong arm, i mean, common. in boxing one would had both forearms before the face and it wouldn'`t even matter, which of the opponents arm makes the straight punch.

same here:

it IS common, accept it.

Latest Discussions