The art or the sensei!?

Pedro Gouveia

White Belt
Reaction score
I was trying to do some martial art,after my kyo sa nim(sensei in coreia)went to another gym far for my condicions...i went in a gym near from home and the sensei was in a class....when i aproache the dojo i caught sensei explaining some sequence of technique to the students...apear that they weren´t doing that properly...with no intention....
"karate is kime"..."you have to feel karate"...he said.The way that he said make me chicken-skin?(when your hair of your body go up)because he was kind of demanding/asking/begging to them...but is eyes(you now that saying"the eyes is the window of our soul"?)
I remember to think to my self..."this guy feel what is doing"..."i have to do some sessions with im"...I went and now i´m brown belt.
The best option i had in my life...because it change my life.
I have found a very traditional,hard,friendly,motivational sensei.

My question is...do we chose the art or the sensei?

Note:sorry for my english!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many people choose an art, investigate schools, and join one, only to find that they don't "mesh" with the instructor; others choose an art, investigate schools, and find an instructor they can live with, but who doesn't inspire them, but have enough internal drive to succeed anyway; some choose an art, investigate schools, find a place that seems perfect, and drop out because neither the instructor nor their own internal drive keeps them going.... and then there are people like myself, who start by accident (I was talking to starting by the guy I was dating - 20 years ago), and luck into an instructor who is just right.

There are a lot of factors that influence who is successful in MA, but I do think that the instructor is a big part of it. You can be successful without an instructor who fits for you, because you want to be successful in that art, but I think it's a lot harder.

Congratulations to you on finding on that fits for you!

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Although I think its important to find an art that you are well suited for, finding the right instructor makes all the difference. At least, it has with me.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I chose my school and art because of my instructor. His passion for his art is what makes him a good teach. His enthusiasm is what keeps me coming to class.

B

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have to say both. The art, because you want to train in something that you're going to enjoy and give 100% to. You want the art to meet the needs that you're looking for.

The Sensei because you want to make sure that they're going to be able to give you what you're looking for as well. How well do they understand the material, how well can they apply it, etc. are just a few of the many things to look for.

IMHO, both go hand in hand.

Mike

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have studied both because of the instructor and the art. I find I get more out of the system if I choose the instructor and study with those I feel have great knowledge and passion for their art

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe we all choose the art first and then try and find the right instructor for us to train with.

Also for me it was Okinawa Karate until the move that sent to me this old guy that tought TKD and after seeing how fasy and powerful he was that was all it took some twenty years later I'm still around and so his he.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Living in a big city I had quite a few stykes to choose from and plenty of good instructors. I came on board MT to help find a good instructor.

A good instructor makes a world of difference in your art.

Qualities I look for:

Explains techniques so you can understand, feel, and execute.
Lots of patience
Good humor
Teaches by example
Trains you for surivival
Has a sharp critical eye

Jin Gang

Green Belt
Reaction score
What makes a style? It is the people, the teachers, who have made the art. At one point, every art had its beginnings with an inspired teacher who was creative and bold. The old lineages that some people consider so important only exist because of the teachers who inspired their students.
Every school and every teacher is potentially the starting place for something new and amazing, it is that passion that everyone should seek out.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Although I think its important to find an art that you are well suited for, finding the right instructor makes all the difference. At least, it has with me.

Well said stickarts..I was so impressed with my first Sensei that I was there a week before I asked what discipline of karate I was learning...

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, for me it was both, and then again- reversed in a way... See, several years ago, I started in tae kwon do and had to leave for about a year or two. Then, I really liked the teachers, then I liked the art/ dojang second. When I was able to start back up, I went looking at other dojo's/ dojang's, but I just still loved TKD, and continued to look for TKD schools. I ran across my current instructor, and it just seemed "right". Open- minded, patient, taught more along the same lines of my way of thinking (I hope that makes sense!). What he said made a lot of sense to me, when he explained the training there...

mjd

Green Belt
Reaction score
It's got to be the instructor, then the art, a bad instructor can make any art useless, if you like a particular style of martial arts, look for a good instructor.

Don't be afraid to shop around, go in and watch several classes, maybe even ask for a trial peroid to test it out.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes.

We have to love the art, because instructors come and go, retire, move, pass on, close up shop.

We have to be a good fit with the instructor because regardless of how much we love the art, it's very difficult to learn from someone who doesn't 'get us', can't teach well, lacks passion, is inconsistent, etc.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I agree with many of the previous posts. You must love the art and have a good feel for the instructor. Let's see if I can make some sense here.

Below, when I say 'art', whether it is great, mediocre, or poor, I'm looking at how it fits my body type and how I move. Yes, there are, or at least can be other factors.

Let's see ...
- Great art, great instructor = Win
- Great art, mediocre instructor = Win
- Great art, poor instructor = Lose
- Mediocre art, great instructor = Win
- Mediocre art, mediocre instructor = Lose
- Mediocre art, poor instructor = Lose
- Poor art, great instructor = Win
- Poor art, mediocre instructor = Lose
- Poor art, poor instructor = Lose

Anytime I see 'great instructor' there is a 'win', in my mind. So I'll have to then say that the instructor is more important. Just my opinion.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with many of the previous posts. You must love the art and have a good feel for the instructor. Let's see if I can make some sense here.

Below, when I say 'art', whether it is great, mediocre, or poor, I'm looking at how it fits my body type and how I move. Yes, there are, or at least can be other factors.

Let's see ...
- Great art, great instructor = Win
- Great art, mediocre instructor = Win
- Great art, poor instructor = Lose
- Mediocre art, great instructor = Win
- Mediocre art, mediocre instructor = Lose
- Mediocre art, poor instructor = Lose
- Poor art, great instructor = Win
- Poor art, mediocre instructor = Lose
- Poor art, poor instructor = Lose

Anytime I see 'great instructor' there is a 'win', in my mind. So I'll have to then say that the instructor is more important. Just my opinion.
I agree 14 kempo, but to play devil's advocate, what if you get half way to black belt--say invest two or three years, and that world-class instructor leaves--and there is no one local as a fall back? If I rely totally on the instructor, I'm totally dependent on his continued presence, and that may not work out. I've been burned a fews times in this way. :)

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well said stickarts..I was so impressed with my first Sensei that I was there a week before I asked what discipline of karate I was learning...

When i first got into Modern Arnis I actually had no interest in it! My teacher thought so highly of it that i figured it must be worth a try. I ended up loving the art, but it was my teachers that have opened doors for me.
The art is definately important. The teacher is the guide and has tremendous impact on our lives.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
True, teachers move away or pass on and then we must take great care in choosing a new instructor. However, arts evolve too! I have seen tremendous change in arts that i have trained in.
All things change and we have to adapt to the changes.

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It's pretty hard to decide what art you want to do without being inspired by watching someone, whether that's on the box, on the floor or in the street. So i'd say that it's the teacher that comes first - even if you never have any further contact with that first inspiring person, in a way they are yr first teacher. And once you start, you certainly need an appropriate teacher for yr skill level, training goals and learning style... mess that up and progress gets that much harder, regardless of yr dedication.

But having said that, it's important to have a genuine passion for the art itself, to really want to own it (or have it own you? hard to tell sometimes!), otherwise yr development is ultimately in the hands of others.

Latest Discussions