What is the best part of Tae Kwon Do

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How would you describe the best part of TKD for you and why is it?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will go a head and answer my own question, it is the quest to be all that I can be. The never ending journey for perfection that one believe they can Master in one lifetime. It is also the friendships and lasting community we build toward each other. I have been bless to meet some of the nices and friendiless people while I have been studying. It is the enjoyment of seeing other people views about the same art and coming together for the betterment of the art.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Training together with good people Terry. That's what I enjoy the most.

And since we train for self defense (and I'm surely very concious of that) we train with some seriousness. We take it that way and we discuss ideas we pick up (yes we read books and try the methods out to see if we like them.)

And I'll tell you, the gang I hang out with, while all in TKD, are not advirse to stealing methods from any and all sources (ever hear of a toe kick?)

And because of that, we are more 'alive' when practicing than I think we could be if we played golf, or tennis, or soccer, or worse, watched other people play those games (couch potato anyone?)

I don't even care who leads the class as long as we discover something cool that day.

Deaf

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The best part.

Hmm, for my friend who never in 60 years did anything besides work hard and live in denile about her inner self. TKD has brought a connection between the mind and body to her she thought impossible before she started working out. It was a healing aspect.

For me, hm, friendships I made in the school, and to see how people evolve with training, hoping I have evolved as well.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In class, the synergy that comes from good partner practice. Out of class, the realization that if you can do Taekwondo you can do anything.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
The friends I've made and the blood, sweat, tears and laughter we'vce shared together on and off the mat.

The outlet for stress. The improvement of my condiitoning...and yes, kicking someone IN THE FACE...doesn't hurt either 9well, except the guy that got kicked...prettty much sucks for him :D )

Peace,
Erik

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
flexibility and the aesthetic nature of the kicks- + strong as well as high kicks.

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The challenge of learning something. Setting a goal and knocking it down is something that has kept me going my whole life.

Short term goals like knowing the forms better than others, and being able to do everything taught with either left or right. Or not getting kicked in the head.

Long term goals like winning a tournament or attaining a BB.

Another enjoyable part is watching my kids learn. Seeing a child that has trouble standing still and paying attention doing so and enjoying it. Watching a child take a shot and get up and continue respectfully rather than lashing out with aggression because they got bested.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
For me, there really isn't any one thing.

I love the feeling I have after a good class, when my legs are rubbery, I'm drenched with sweat, my blood's pumping, and I can barely walk to the car. I feel so ALIVE!

I love making friends within the dojang, and being able to hang out on and off the mat. Some of them end up being some of the greatest friendships.

I love sharing my knowledge with others, and watching others benifit from what I can offer.

I love receiving knowledge from others and my instructor, and the fact that I learn something new every class, and will continue to learn something new every class, no matter what rank I achieve.

I love being humbled in a sparring match, especially when it hurts.

I love having to push myself to go just a little longer, just when I think that I can't give anymore.

I love the pride that I feel from my family; from my mother, father, sister, and wife.

I love the fact that I will have SOMETHING that I can actually teach my children and know what I'm talking about.

I love the fact that I have accomplished at least one of my life's goals, and that the goal will actually never be truly reached, since being a blackbelt starts a whole seperate journey.

I love the security I feel walking into a clearly hostile environment, and knowing that I can take care of myself.

And, finally, I love proving to myself everyday that I am good at something, and that I can always improve on what I do.

mcleod13

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Although I just started, for me it is the atmosphere and challenge. Ever since I started law school, I have been surrounded by highly competitive people who aren't interested in helping those that are struggling.

In TKD it is different. Everyone wants to do their best and be the best. However, they also take the time to help those of us who are new. It is a real familial type environment. I noticed this when after my first class, all of the children ran up to Master Black and gave him a hug and thanked him for making them work. It was great!

It is a challenge, and I love challenges. I have never been too flexible and have often struggled with lower back pain. I have noticed that my kicks are getting higher, stronger, and faster. I never thought I would be able to kick as high as my head and be able to walk afterwords. Can't get rid of the lower back pain, but I am trying!!!! It is also a challenge because I have never been one that likes getting hit or kicked. This is still a challenge because I haven't made it to the level where i am getting kicked routinely, (except by my son who thinks I am a walking heavy bag).

This reminds me of one of my favorite movie quotes, "Sorry I hurt your hand with my face!"

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
My two mexican cents.

What is the best part of TKD?

These are the inner aspects
1.-Respect.
2.-Order.
3.-Loyalty.
4.-Honor.
5.-Frienship.

The outer aspects
1.-Martiality.
2.-Self Defense.

The thing I hate..... olympic or sport combat (kyorugui).

Manny

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It is winning the battle with the me that just wants to stay home and watch TV. :whip:

it is also the people that I work out with and the friendships that have formed from it. It is the feeling that you get when you finally do that new technique correctly.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me, there are many "best parts" of Taekwondo for me. I would have to say that the comraderie I've experienced with folks I've trained with is one of the best parts.

Last week I got a call from a guy I used to train with that I haven't spoken to in 10 years. It was as if no time had gone by. We are a part of this odd fraternity where we are both close & have tried to nearly kill (or at least mame) each other in the same instant. There are many folks on this board that I would gladly train with or turn over my class to. It's funny how an introvert like I am can pick up the phone & talk about TKD for 2+ hours with folks I barely know. Like I said, it's an odd fraternity....and I love it!

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love the comraderie and the friendships gained over the years.

I love the hot shower after a hard sweaty class.

I love knowledge and learning new things about myself and TKD.

I like knowing I am living a healthy lifestyle.

I like hitting stuff.....

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
The friends I've made, feeling like part of a great big family

Accomplishing something you never thought you could do!

How good I feel after working out and for me it's a cool shower after.... :wink1:

Drunken_Boxer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The best part of taekwondo....hm ooooh hellz yeah probably Mondoljo doljo chagi, jumping back side kick and my lovely team :) I love em, one love!!!

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
For me, there are many "best parts" of Taekwondo for me. I would have to say that the comraderie I've experienced with folks I've trained with is one of the best parts.

Agreed Iceman, Also for me, looking back and thinking what would my llife be like without Taekwondo.

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You know, taekwondo has given me a lot. It has given me friends, brought me and my wife closer, kept me in shape, given me a talent. In the beginning, it was supposed to be a hobby, now it is more a permanent part of my life rather than a hobby.