Perception of Tae Kwon Do a Problem?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
MountainSage said:
Gemini,
You still didn't answer my question. What do you define as a low kick? Stating that TKD teaches both is a misrepresentation; TKD demands high kick, accepts middle kicks, and deplores low kicks. Please name one form that includes a true low kick and is general taught as a low kick not a middle kick for "competition" purposes.

mountainsage
If Gemini will permit me to answer your question, I will do so. Low kick as defined by Chong-han forms is one to the knee. I personally like to the thigh about 2-4 inches above the knee both inside and outside.

As for part 2 of your post. I have very little knowledge about WTF forms so I hope you won't mind if I answer with an ITF/Chong-han forms. The Hyung Gwang-gae has a low to middle combination of side kicks. It is performed on both sides(left and right).

Hope this helps out.

M

MountainSage

Searcher,
My point of reasking the question was to get a solid answer for a WTF BB. This is the very reason I parted ways with WTF TKD eight or so months ago. The philosphical generalization get really old after a while. I also don't believe you can compare WTF and ITF TKD. IMHO, ITF has stay more true to the "Real TKD" and WTF went commerical. I could go on for hours, yet It would be off topic. The real answer to the question that was presented is the there is a perception problem both inside and outside TKD. Until TKD begins to understand what it is there will be no closure.

Michael Wood
Mountainsage

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
MountainSage said:
Gemini,
You still didn't answer my question. What do you define as a low kick?
mountainsage

Knee to Groin is generally covered by the term low kick. Below the knee attacks are generally considered stomps.

MountainSage said:
Gemini,
Please name one form that includes a true low kick and is general taught as a low kick not a middle kick for "competition" purposes.
mountainsage

In Koryo the first side kicking sequence is to the knee then to the head and so is the second kicking system.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
MountainSage, that is why I asked if it would work to answer your question with an ITF form. I mean no disrespect.

M

MountainSage

Searcher, no disrespect taken. As I advanced thru the belt in WTF TKD I became more disallusioned with the whole thing. TXBB, In all honesty I was a red belt when I left TKD and have no experiance with Koryo, other than observing others do the form. One statement I do remember is from a 2nd degree from Cali that came to train while visiting family said that any kick below waist level would get marked down in competition. This person was a major competition freak; went to 2+ tournaments a month or so all over the West.

Michael Wood
Mountainsage

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Under WTF competition rules, its points off, or disqualified for kicking below the belt. Even for class sparring rules, we don't kick to the knee or purposely to the groin, thigh, calf or shin. Although newbies can't kick belt level even and that is inevitably where they strike. ;)

I don't even like to enter sparring events anymore because they are doing it by points--one at a time. That is probably due to the fact we were getting fewer and fewer participants and more and more were getting hurt.

We do practice self-defense in class, below the belt also, by partner, without gear on, and with light striking or to focus pads. Not all TKD is the same. It differs with whoever runs the organization. TW

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
MountainSage said:
TXBB, In all honesty I was a red belt when I left TKD and have no experiance with Koryo, other than observing others do the form. One statement I do remember is from a 2nd degree from Cali that came to train while visiting family said that any kick below waist level would get marked down in competition. This person was a major competition freak; went to 2+ tournaments a month or so all over the West.

Michael Wood
Mountainsage

In all honesty I'm a National Referee working on my class A. I've been doing Martial Arts since 1985. I have my 2nd Dan working on my 3rd & 4th. Needless to say I've done 4-5 Senior and Junior Nationals and if the judges are following the rules as per USA Taekwondo Page 96 Article 5 section 2 subsection e. Accurate targets. They should actually lower the scores for kicks thrown excessively high, doesn't always happen and people get really upset when the most physically apealling form dosen't win but that's why there is a rule book.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry I missed the debate. I've been out of the country for the past week, but it seems any issues I was involved in were answered by someone else anyway. I wasn't being evasive, I just wasn't here.

Regards,

Latest Discussions