What is a good diet plan for an amateur martial artist?

OP
dominate_warrior

dominate_warrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, let's see.....what's your weight, height, age (body fat % if you know it) level of activity, sleep cycle and what kind of working out do you do?
I am 122.7 lbs. 5'3 1/2, and I will be 16 soon. I exercise daily from 45 min to an hour. I go to class two times a week for 45-60 min and I train there. I also have physical education four days a week, doing sports from dodgeball to soccer etc. I am a very active person; I always have to be moving so I guess that would be a good thing in doing martial arts. I sleep on weeknights 9-10 to about 6:45 to wake up to go to school. And on weekends it depends if I'm out or not (which rarely happens since school has started again. I just want to get on a schedule where I work out two times a day plus P.E. 4 times a week.

Thank you.
E

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The problem with diets is that everyone's body is different. I don't have the aversion to red meat that some of the people here have mentioned. I center every meal around a protein whether it be eggs, chicken, fish, pork, beef, etc. aside from that I limit the carbs and try to get some veggies into my system. I really need to eat more veggies. I admittedly have a sweet tooth and so I am extra careful with the rest of my carbs. I was, for awhile, working out 75-90 min 6x a week with stretching a couple of days a week in top of that and got pretty jacked. Lately I haven't been pushing myself as much (working out about 2/3rds as much) and have let my waist get an extra inch or two back on it and cover my abs back up.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am a fairly active person. I've been in sports my whole life, but I haven't always been the ideal picture of what a fit person should/want to look like.

I just want to lose weight the right way and get that six pack everyone dreams of having. An exercise regime I can stick with, where I can reach my goals. I'm lost as to where to start...

Please help.

So I assume you are already not drinking beer and eating junk food?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am 122.7 lbs. 5'3 1/2, and I will be 16 soon. I exercise daily from 45 min to an hour. I go to class two times a week for 45-60 min and I train there. I also have physical education four days a week, doing sports from dodgeball to soccer etc. I am a very active person; I always have to be moving so I guess that would be a good thing in doing martial arts. I sleep on weeknights 9-10 to about 6:45 to wake up to go to school. And on weekends it depends if I'm out or not (which rarely happens since school has started again. I just want to get on a schedule where I work out two times a day plus P.E. 4 times a week.

Thank you.
E

E,
That sounds pretty good. What does your diet consist of now?
And...do you eat a breakfast?

OP
dominate_warrior

dominate_warrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
E,
That sounds pretty good. What does your diet consist of now?
And...do you eat a breakfast?
Thanks, and it's mostly white meat, some beef. I don't eat hamburgers because I find them very fattening and I get very full after eating that sort of meat. I don't eat vegetables but I like fruits. Apples, grapes, etc.

I do eat breakfast. Usually it's either like a CLIFF bar of some sort or protein bar. And most of the times I eat oatmeal soft bakes by nature valley with peanut butter. I am obsessed with peanut butter.

I would like to start eating smoothies but I can never eat them without gagging. I'm a very texturized type of person so nothing really mushy or bits of the fruits and or items added and feeling of like pulpy stuff.

I have always been picky about my foods. But I do like chicken, fish(all except some shellfish) and the list goes on. I just wanna find a way to eat more healthy but I don't know how.

Smoothies would be a top priority, and other suggestions

BeeBrian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I need a good high protein/carbohydrate, low fat diet. I know the basics of what my diet needs to be but I need a good plan that will give me a more exact view.

I just need to get on an intense workout and meal plan involved because I'm worried that my diet is poor. I need to eat more of the good stuff rather than the bad stuff

I don't necessarily need to lose weight but I would like to gain muscle.

I'm sorry if there is already a thread for this but I'm still new to this forum so please bare with me.

Thanks for the help!
Emilie:)

What are your current stats now? Bodyweight, bench press, squat, etc.

Scot Mendelson ate 5 pounds of red meat a day, but he was a superheavyweight powerlifter. If you're trying to go from a UFC welterweight to a UFC middleweight, which is like 15 pounds away, then you obviously don't need something as extreme as 5 pounds of meat. lol.

This is one of those instances where you have to think like a bodybuilder more than a martial artist to succeed.

BeeBrian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, and it's mostly white meat, some beef. I don't eat hamburgers because I find them very fattening and I get very full after eating that sort of meat. I don't eat vegetables but I like fruits. Apples, grapes, etc.

I do eat breakfast. Usually it's either like a CLIFF bar of some sort or protein bar. And most of the times I eat oatmeal soft bakes by nature valley with peanut butter. I am obsessed with peanut butter.

I would like to start eating smoothies but I can never eat them without gagging. I'm a very texturized type of person so nothing really mushy or bits of the fruits and or items added and feeling of like pulpy stuff.

I have always been picky about my foods. But I do like chicken, fish(all except some shellfish) and the list goes on. I just wanna find a way to eat more healthy but I don't know how.

Replace the white meat with more beef. For every 16 ounces of beef you eat, you get 2 grams of creatine.

What are your source of carbs?

You have to fix your breakfast. Bars of any kind don't count. The only time where bars become useful is when you are in desperate need of quick energy. Oatmeal is good but you must pair it was thick bacon.

Smoothies aren't necessary if you're drinking milk. Like bars, they're only good for a quick boost of energy.

Do you not like vegetables like, at all? What if the veggies are cooked right? Asian stir-fry cooking can make veggies not soggy. I hate soggy veggies. lol

Fruits, smoothies, and bars are energy boosters before an intense workout. They're sugary.

OP
dominate_warrior

dominate_warrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What are your current stats now? Bodyweight, bench press, squat, etc.

Scot Mendelson ate 5 pounds of red meat a day, but he was a superheavyweight powerlifter. If you're trying to go from a UFC welterweight to a UFC middleweight, which is like 15 pounds away, then you obviously don't need something as extreme as 5 pounds of meat. lol.

This is one of those instances where you have to think like a bodybuilder more than a martial artist to succeed.
Well I'm in Taekwondo so um but I want a six pack, no matter the cost.

Please help me achieve that!

OP
dominate_warrior

dominate_warrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Replace the white meat with more beef. For every 16 ounces of beef you eat, you get 2 grams of creatine.

What are your source of carbs?

You have to fix your breakfast. Bars of any kind don't count. The only time where bars become useful is when you are in desperate need of quick energy. Oatmeal is good but you must pair it was thick bacon.

Smoothies aren't necessary if you're drinking milk. Like bars, they're only good for a quick boost of energy.

Do you not like vegetables like, at all? What if the veggies are cooked right? Asian stir-fry cooking can make veggies not soggy. I hate soggy veggies. lol

Fruits, smoothies, and bars are energy boosters before an intense workout. They're sugary.
Nope. I have like a fear of vegetables. If I were forced to eat them, I would be sick. Give me some examples of those types of meals

BeeBrian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well I'm in Taekwondo so um but I want a six pack, no matter the cost.

Please help me achieve that!

Oh, then I can't help you. lol.

I'm not going to "help" a 122-pound 16-year old suppress his growth potential by having him go on a caloric deficit diet that's meant for obese people.

When your goal becomes "I want to bench more/I want to gain muscle/I want to be a better athlete" then I'll come and pay you a visit.

Bye for now.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Eat a real breakfast.rye bread,salmon,some poached eggs avocado,spinach.

Don't eat a big dinner.

Eat more vegetables than fruits. So have a carrot or something. Fruit has a lot of sugar.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, then I can't help you. lol.

I'm not going to "help" a 122-pound 16-year old suppress his growth potential by having him go on a caloric deficit diet that's meant for obese people.

When your goal becomes "I want to bench more/I want to gain muscle/I want to be a better athlete" then I'll come and pay you a visit.

Bye for now.

We could take him off sugar and salt. Put him on raw vegetables, lean meats and low gi carbs like rye bread's and brown rice. And at 16 with a metabolism. He wouldn't be carrying much fat.

And it wouldn't be a diet that does him any harm.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
He's not even 16 yet. The problem is he's still growing and doesn't even have his full testosterone levels yet. Everybody is different but it's difficult to really get ripped at that age unless you're an early bloomer. That's why it's more important now to eat a balanced healthy diet now (eat your veggies kid) to help you grow and worry about the six pack later. Cutting back on salt, drinking lots of water, and replacing some of that fruit with more veggies would be the best recommendations.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your healthy already and have some great habits, keep up the good work.

If you must have abs, just add more plank type exercises to your routine. But you have plenty of time and on a good road already.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
FYI, folks, the OP is a girl.

That is an important thing to consider. She has probably another good year or two left of puberty which will make it difficult to have complete control over her body composition. Any especially important concern for females is water retention, particularly during certain points in the menstrual cycle. The same basic recommendations stand though: drinks lots of water, watch your sodium intake, and eat lots of veggies.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ms Warrior, it sounds like you're on a good road already. Keep it up. And by all means, enjoy the whole process.

Sounds like the only thing you need (other than that six pack) is a good plateful of all natural patience. Other than that....you go, girl!

OP
dominate_warrior

dominate_warrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks you guys! And I promise I'll work hard towards getting to my goal using a plateful of natural patience;)

Thanks again,
Emilie:happy:

Latest Discussions