Favorite fantasy MA style

LibbyW

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was just wondering what peeps preferences were towards fantasy martial arts.
After a little bit of digging I've found that there is a whole wealth of made up, crazily OTT, fictitious martial arts styles.

At the moment I can't decide between:
Hokuto Shinken
Seven_scars.jpg
or
Mishima Style Fighting Karate
9066_1_full.jpg

OP
LibbyW

LibbyW

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've always wanted to be skilled in Thumb-fu.

That was epic! I would have no doubt in Mr Connery being able to do this...The fight in from Russia with Love was hardcore!
One of the guys that tries to come to the big flannel wearing guys aid looks like he should be in BOC - more cowbell :woot:
L

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've always been partial to earth bending myself....or be the avatar and do all 4
Honestly, if I could do any kind of elemental bending, I wouldn't even care that much about the martial aspects.

Water bending: I could heal sick people and then enjoy my days off with pool parties and skiing trips.

Earth bending: Home construction and renovations done cheap!

Air bending: Flying!

Fire bending: Probably the least useful skill. I wouldn't even want to use it in a fight because the results would be pretty horrific in a non-cartoon environment. I'd probably explore the possibilities of using it for fire-fighting: instead of creating fire, practice bending it away from homes and people.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only Ameri-Do_te can make bringing a knife to a gun fight work!

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
i dont know about any of that fantasy stuf:confused: the only MA fantasy i know of is mortal combat... but since everyones talking about master ken thought id tag along:):D

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I used to like Sinanju, but since then I have moved into Shibumi. That is where I write a little foot not at the bottom of the page, saying, "For the safety of the reader I won't say what I did" :)

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ameri-do-te!

The flailings of a pale piece of pig's ear-far beneath the notice of the Night Tigers of Sinanju-his pathetic motions are nothing -NOTHING-before the glory that is Sinanju.

"Shibumi." Firstly,get it right, it's 裸/殺す : "naked/kill/." (hidaka/korusu?)

Shibumi is a real goal to be pursued by us all.....

Secondly, no Japanese nonsense can even hope to shine at all when bathed in the light of SInanju, the sun source of all martial arts.
He..he...he,...."Shibumi." :rolleyes:
rolling.gif

zzj

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My favourite fantasy style is from the Wuxia world, I wonder how many here have heard of it: The 9 swords of Dugu (独孤九剑)

It is a style of swordsmanship based on undermining weapon types (including unarmed, with the assumption that any fighter able to go unarmed vs a weapon would be exceedingly skilled). Other characteristics being that there are no fixed forms, only a set of underlying changes that focus on offensive deadly intent....

From what I remember, the '9 swords' refer to

1. The overall theory / set of changes
2. Sword vs Sword
3. Sword vs Sabre
4. Sword vs Spear/Staff
5. Sword vs Whips
6. Sword vs Chain/Flails
7. Sword vs Palm (unarmed styles)
8. Sword vs Projectiles
9. Sword vs Chi attacks (we're talking about fantasy right?)

The story was set in around the 15th Century in Ming Dynasty China, and the style itself dated from 11th Century in the Song Dynasty, so understandably there's no Sword vs firearms :cool:

Latest Discussions