What fiction book are you currently reading?

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
GirlBug, thanks for the comments on "A Thousand Splendid Suns" I have been looking at that for a few months. I will pick it up when I am done, "Dies the Fire."

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Right now I'm reading George RR Martin's A Storm Of Swords. I'm so loving this series of books it's not even funny, though I can hardly read because my nephew is spending some time with me and any time I pick up the book he takes it as his que to go get his Dora book and ask me to read it to him. I kid you not I've read the same book to him 10 times in one sitting!

I also picked up the entire Sherlock Holmes collection in hardcover at a thrift store and I'm pretty excited about getting to that next. also this week I got another shipment from Golden Eagle Publishers with this months Mack Bolan, Stony Man and Able Team books. Hey, it's a damn good series, why not subscribe and get them as they come out?

http://readgoldeagle.blogspot.com/ By the way, if you wanna know, I'm up to Mack Bolan/The Excecutioner - Hostile Odds which I just finished so I'm like running 2 books behind current.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rereading One Knight Only by Peter David. Interesting idea King Arthur meets Gilgamesh in 2001...

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm on to God-Emperor of Dune. Never made it past the previous book the first time I got into this series.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Today I finished Invisible Prey and started The Perfect Poison.

Frostbite

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Currently reading The Mission Song by John Le Carre. I find his dialog a bit tough to read but I always enjoy having read his books by the time I'm done.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, I love LeCarre! My favorite of his is "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" or "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold." His dialogue takes getting used to, and he jumps around within the story's time line, but once you catch on it's thrilling.

Frostbite

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oh, I love LeCarre! My favorite of his is "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" or "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold." His dialogue takes getting used to, and he jumps around within the story's time line, but once you catch on it's thrilling.

Yeah, I've read a few of his books. They just take some adjusting to compared to the trash I normally read. They're a lot more nuanced than most modern novels.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, The Tailor Of Panama is laugh out loud funny, but written in his high brow voice that it took me about 100 pages to figure out I should be laughing at Harry Pendel. LeCarre rules, I'm still pissed someone stole my backpack with my copy of Absolute Friends, I was so close to the end.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Right now I'm reading George RR Martin's A Storm Of Swords. I'm so loving this series of books it's not even funny,

Unfortunately, the next book in the series A Feast For Crows isn't quite as good as the first three. I hope Martin can rebound with the fifth book, and I also hope he can finish his series soon. Martin is over sixty and we know what happened to Robert Jordan...

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the next book in the series A Feast For Crows isn't quite as good as the first three. I hope Martin can rebound with the fifth book, and I also hope he can finish his series soon. Martin is over sixty and we know what happened to Robert Jordan...

I agree. Started out loving the series for its realism and large cast of complex characters, but by Feast For Crows I started to wonder if Martin really knew where he was going with the series.

Finished "The Big Sleep", am now reading "The Maltese Falcon". Never seen the movie, so it's new to me.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dammit guys! Now I'm expecting disappointment, same reason I never bothered with Robert Jordan after his foray into Conan. Well thanks anyways.

I just broke into the Sherlock Holmes collection so that's where I'll be concentrated for the next few days.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dammit guys! Now I'm expecting disappointment, .
I sympathize, I laugh, but, I really sympathize. I've gotten turned on to a number of good books/authors here, but, I've been turned off a few too...

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I finally read Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurty. I can see why it won a Pulitzer Prize, although I myself wanted to shoot Gus multiple times by the end of the book. I know a lot of readers like him, but he's exactly the kind of mouthy, know-it-all that I dislike in real life.

Frostbite

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The Judas Strain by James Rollins. I read one of his earlier books and enjoyed it. They're kind of a weird mix of adventure, science, historical fiction and conspiracy theory.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Finished "The Maltese Falcon", now reading "Riders of the Purple Sage" by Zane Grey and "Galactic North" by Alistair Reynolds.