What fiction book are you currently reading?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm reading, "THE QUEST" by Wilbur Smith. Its the fourth Book about Ancient Egypt. My only ***** is that Wilbur Smith made all the Egyptians White guys, as in Blonde Hair Blue eyed white guys, but what R YA gonna do? Its a good series other than that.
Sean

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know about the new Destroyer series, I'm pretty excited. as always my backlog of books to read is a couple weeks long so it's all about scheduling. I love a good action book, Flemming, Amis, Clancy, Ludlum, I'm a sucker for that stuff when I'm not reading fantasy and sci-fi.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As for books, right now I'm reading George RR Martin's A Clash of Kings, amazing book. GRRM is my second favorite fantasy author after Terry Goodkind (me being an Ayn Rand fan can you blame me?).
quote]

A Song of Ice and Fire is the third best series I've read, the first being Lord of the Rings and the second being The Dark Tower. I have no comment on Goodkind.

If you've just started ASOIAF, a piece of advice; take it slow and savor it. Book #5 is stalling, much to my frustration. I wonder if he'll ever finish it!

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I know about GRRM's slow down. It's just that I've got them all (picked 'em up on sale last weekend) so I can finally tell everyone "Shut up, I'm reading it ok!"

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am ALWAYS reading a novel. The one I'm reading now is not fiction, but it's entertaining all the same. Marley and Me. It's hilarious. :) I haven't seen the movie, but I have laughed out loud reading the book. I'm about 2/3 through.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start Storm from the Shadows by David Weber. It's the next novel in the space opera/war novels about the admirable person of Honor Harrington. Not only is she a well written strong female character (as are many of characters in these books), it's a well written story with nicely written and explained military strategy and well done battle scenes. Can't wait!

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"King Rat" - China Mieville.

Anyone here into contemporary fantasy genres or know much about it? I am on the above and really quite like it. I have not tried much at all in the fantasy genre after kind of growing out of Terry Pratchett. Anyone recommend any modern, contemporary fantasy ie. set in real-world environments? Not sword and sorcery stuff... Help appreciated. Thanks, Jenna

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score

Anyone here into contemporary fantasy genres or know much about it? I am on the above and really quite like it. I have not tried much at all in the fantasy genre after kind of growing out of Terry Pratchett. Anyone recommend any modern, contemporary fantasy ie. set in real-world environments? Not sword and sorcery stuff... Help appreciated. Thanks, Jenna

Have you read any of Neil Gaiman's stuff? I read "Neverwhere" and it was similar to Amazon's description of "King Rat". He also wrote a book with Terry Pratchett called "Good Omens" which was a spoof of end-of-days movies like "The Omen".

You might also try Clive Barker. "Imagica" and "Weaveworld" are really good.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love both Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett! I came to reading Neil through his work in comics then went over to his novels. Terry I discovered because I read every Douglas Adams book and asked the guy at my book store for something similar. Good Omens was awesome!

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'll add my vote for Neil Gaiman. He has a nice way of interweaving various mythos into a cohesive whole. I recommend Anansi Boys, American gods...well..just about anything...American Gods is about the older norse gods and the new gods (like television, railroad, internet).

I can think of a few other authors, but my mind is mush at this time of day...will try to add some later

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm about 1/4 of the way through Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. OMG I can't believe this book was written, but I'm loving it!

P&P&Z combines my fondness for both Jane Austen and Zombie fiction. It's intentionally funny that way. Expect a very Austen style of prose interspersed with accounts of Elizabeth Bennet and her sisters vanquishing the sorry stricken with their Shaolin-trained warrior skills. Pure fun!

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm about 1/4 of the way through Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. OMG I can't believe this book was written, but I'm loving it!

P&P&Z combines my fondness for both Jane Austen and Zombie fiction. It's intentionally funny that way. Expect a very Austen style of prose interspersed with accounts of Elizabeth Bennet and her sisters vanquishing the sorry stricken with their Shaolin-trained warrior skills. Pure fun!

I read the first chapter at Barnes & Noble last Saturday and almost bought it on the spot. It looks great and it's a funny concept. I wish I had thought of it!

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Charles de Lint http://www.sfsite.com/charlesdelint/
Modern world stuff with a bit of a fantasy twist. Some of his stuff will really make you think.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Currently re-reading after a twenty year lay-off "Deryni Rising" (Volume 1 of the Chronicles of the Deryni) by Katherine Kurtz.

The reason for the long hiatus was not that these books are no good but because they're a bit too 'gritty' in places. By this I don't mean that there's loads of swearing, graphic violence and full frontal nudity but that real politik plays a strong role and if a character is honourable and good then they usually end up dead (or any good that they have achieved is undone) :(.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Currently re-reading after a twenty year lay-off "Deryni Rising" (Volume 1 of the Chronicles of the Deryni) by Katherine Kurtz.

The reason for the long hiatus was not that these books are no good but because they're a bit too 'gritty' in places. By this I don't mean that there's loads of swearing, graphic violence and full frontal nudity but that real politik plays a strong role and if a character is honourable and good then they usually end up dead (or any good that they have achieved is undone) :(.

Sounds intense man. How do they compare to GRRM's Song Of Fire And Ice?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Spy Who Haunted Me, by Simon R Green. Droods again, + Walker from the Nightside books and a few other special guest stars. I like it.
On deck are Nightworld and Blackwind by F Paul Wilson. Since Blindside got me hooked on these, I have had to order a used copy of Reprisal, because it is out of print... what a PITA...