Chuck Norris and a BJJ question

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I knew Chuck Norris trained BJJ and I think I knew he trained with Carlos Machado but I did not know got a brown belt from Carlos Machado

Does anyone know when he received his Brown Belt in BJJ from Carlos Machado?

And has he gone any further in ranking?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've heard he started training in 1990 under Carlos Machado. He also trained with Rigan Machado.

I'm pretty sure he's a black belt, but as for when and from whom, I don't know. I'd presume from Carlos Machado.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i had heard under carlos machdo. What i dont know is where the machado's fall in the bjj scheme of things

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
i had heard under carlos machdo. What i dont know is where the machado's fall in the bjj scheme of things
Pretty damned close to the source. His lineage basically looks like this:

Meada >> Carlos Gracie Sr. >> Carlos Gracie Jr. (head of IBJJF and Gracie Barra) >> Carlos Machado

The five Machado brothers were right there in the mix at the very beginning. They all trained extensively with Helio, Carlos Sr., Carlinhos and Rolls Gracie, and are related to them by marriage.

The pedigree doesn't get much better. Carlos Machado is an 8th degree red/black belt.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pretty damned close to the source. His lineage basically looks like this:

Meada >> Carlos Gracie Sr. >> Carlos Gracie Jr. (head of IBJJF and Gracie Barra) >> Carlos Machado

The five Machado brothers were right there in the mix at the very beginning. They all trained extensively with Helio, Carlos Sr., Carlinhos and Rolls Gracie, and are related to them by marriage.

The pedigree doesn't get much better. Carlos Machado is an 8th degree red/black belt.

As Steve pointed out, the Machado's are VERY good and very close to the source of BJJ. The only bad stuff I had heard about the Machados was basically when they first started making it really big here in the US, some of the Gracie camp took exception to it and distanced themselves from it with some of the "sport" vs. "self-defense" stuff. If you trained with the Machados (again, just stuff talked about when I was new to the BJJ scene) then you were NOT welcomed at the Gracies. It used to be VERY territorial (sp?) on who you studied with and you did NOT study with anyone else. I don't think it is that way anymore, but it has been awhile since I have rolled.

bjjcompete

White Belt
Reaction score
I was expecting a Chuck Norris joke involving BJJ.

Chuck Norris once killed two stones with one bird.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
LOL. Chuck's member is so big they had to add another J?

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I've heard he started training in 1990 under Carlos Machado. He also trained with Rigan Machado.

I'm pretty sure he's a black belt, but as for when and from whom, I don't know. I'd presume from Carlos Machado.

So Chuck Norris was 50 when he started training BJJ.... interesting...thanks

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I am sure he received his blackbelt from the Machados. Plus he also had a Judo brown or blackbelt from way back in the day.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Cool.
I just remembered that there is a Carlos Machado Black Belt in my area too. I have to say of the MAs out there that grant belts today I am most impressed with BJJ. They just do not seem to be giving away belts like some other styles do

Last edited:

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to say of the MAs out there that grant belts today I am most impressed with BJJ. They just do not seem to be giving away belts like some other styles do

I think that is changing though.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have no doubt that over time, especially as BJ gains in popularity you will start seeing belt factories appear and that is a rather sad thought to me. I remember when getting a belt was not easy in an art and then things changed and people started giving the things away to gain students and promising Black belts in a year.

However I would be thrilled if other MAs where starting to make it harder, more like the old days

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I have no doubt that over time, especially as BJ gains in popularity you will start seeing belt factories appear and that is a rather sad thought to me. I remember when getting a belt was not easy in an art and then things changed and people started giving the things away to gain students and promising Black belts in a year.

However I would be thrilled if other MAs where starting to make it harder, more like the old days
I would agree that there are some changes occurring within the BJJ community. The growth of BJJ as a sport has led to more schools and an increasing distance between "sport" and "self defense" oriented schools.

But, I've not seen any indication that standards are dropping at all. The emphasis on competition and the cross pollination that occurs regularly within the BJJ community keeps schools from promoting too quickly or too slowly. Promote too fast and your school will gain a reputation for low standards. Promote too slow and your school will gain a reputation as sandbagging. And if you choose not to participate, you will quickly find your school ostracized.

And if you're teaching without credentials, you risk incurring the wrath of the BJJihad. :) Bottom line, though, is that I believe the allegations of lower standards is a combination of wishful thinking and idle speculation.

Latest Discussions