Generally, how often and how long should you train per week?

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"what do you think about this? does this even make sense or is it a waste of time? i mean I'm not
getting into anything knowing that this is some half-assed stuff where I needed 5 years to get to a point
where I can use it."

Five years.... Oh my....

I've been in martial for literally 40 years... and I just in the past few have sort of thought that I might be able to really make some hay if I had to... and then I go to clinics and seminars and realize there's WAY more out there to learn.

It's hard when you're young, I get it. But... patience... muscle memory takes time... average of 10,000 repetitions to master a movement. Consider that with any of the more complex MA activities. Difficult.

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
kehcorpz if you have anxiety going to a martial arts school is there a friend or family member you can go with? Even if you have to pay them for year to go with you?

Is your anxiety you may not do well in a martial arts school or the unknown?

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It blows my mind that Police Officer, Dispatcher, Doctor or Nurse can put in 10 hours shift. I have work part time jobs cause 8 hour shift is too much and 10 hours shift is just crazy.

Heh.....10 hours..I'm sure DirtyDog will have similar stories, but, not unless it's a really light day. 12+ hours is not really uncommon in medicine. At one point, just after training, I calculated my hours and figured out I had worked 92 hours one week, and there was still a day left, I think I finished with a 101 hours that week. Even now, if I calculated the research hours, meetings, etc. It's gotta be between 10-12 hours every day 5 days a week.....Hell, I can remember once in training being on for 4 days straight. In other words, I didn't even leave the hospital for 4 days in a row.

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Heh.....10 hours..I'm sure DirtyDog will have similar stories, but, not unless it's a really light day. 12+ hours is not really uncommon in medicine. At one point, just after training, I calculated my hours and figured out I had worked 92 hours one week, and there was still a day left, I think I finished with a 101 hours that week. Even now, if I calculated the research hours, meetings, etc. It's gotta be between 10-12 hours every day 5 days a week.....Hell, I can remember once in training being on for 4 days straight. In other words, I didn't even leave the hospital for 4 days in a row.

Comparing American culture to the Europe culture the American are workaholics not that off base than Asian culture being workaholics.

With most Americans lucky to get one to two weeks vacation time in year.

When I talk to to people from Europe they are shocked that American work 8 hour shift and some even 10 hour shift and 12 hour shift. Where in Europe it is under 8 hour shift with month vacation!!

Not sure when the Americans culture change to working so long and little vacation in a year.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

We are scheduled for 12 hour shifts. Now, that doesn't mean we leave on time, of course. If we get a call for a 3 hour flight 1 hour before the end of shift, guess what happens?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Comparing American culture to the Europe culture the American are workaholics not that off base than Asian culture being workaholics.

With most Americans lucky to get one to two weeks vacation time in year.

When I talk to to people from Europe they are shocked that American work 8 hour shift and some even 10 hour shift and 12 hour shift. Where in Europe it is under 8 hour shift with month vacation!!

Not sure when the Americans culture change to working so long and little vacation in a year.

When you say 'Europe' where exactly do you mean because many people in Europe work longer days than just 8 hours nor do that many get a month's holiday (only in EU countries), I think you are giving out the totally wrong impression based on whatever you think. Many shift workers work ten and twelve hous shifts, usually in the same jobs as those in the US who work 10 and 12 hours.

The EU requires by law workers to have 4 weeks paid holiday a year, that time is spread over the year. It's highly unlikely you'd get a month off in one go and if you did you'd have no time off for the rest of the year.
Bear in mind that many countries in Europe are not in the EU so don't get that time.

Latest Discussions