Over-eagerness to improve - Aikido

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Eh, judo and and Bjj take a lot less time to become proficient at than Aikido. About a year's worth of training in Bjj or Judo should yield you some satisfactory results. On the other hand, I've seen black belt Aikidoka not being able to perform their techniques against resisting opponents. And when I say not being able to perform, I mean complete and total shutdown of their ability set.

They have some great ukemi though.
I don't doubt that for a minute. I am s#*t at ukemi but I have no problem initiating it. ;) Based on my initial experience of Aikido I had a similar view to you. What I have experienced since changed my attitude completely. Now, if I could only retain one of my martial arts it would probably be Aikido. I haven't had a problem using it against anyone, but then you do keep telling me that my training isn't the typical.

How appropriate would your normal BJJ or Judo be in a psych ward?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't doubt that for a minute. I am s#*t at ukemi but I have no problem initiating it. ;) Based on my initial experience of Aikido I had a similar view to you. What I have experienced since changed my attitude completely. Now, if I could only retain one of my martial arts it would probably be Aikido. I haven't had a problem using it against anyone, but then you do keep telling me that my training isn't the typical.

I would like to believe that. Unfortunately, it seems to be quite difficult to find an effective Aikido school. Almost like you need to go to parts unknown in order to find one.

How appropriate would your normal BJJ or Judo be in a psych ward?

I've worked with emotionally disturbed adults and children for years, and I've used quite a few Bjj takedowns and pins for restraining purposes. I can't speak for Judo, but Bjj can be very gentle when you need it to be.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ego....that's worthy of a thread of it's own. I can't see why training with anyone in any style would dent your ego.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ego....that's worthy of a thread of it's own. I can't see why training with anyone in any style would dent your ego.

Try being a 200+ lb guy getting submitted by a skinny girl half your size.

That'll put a dent in anyone's ego. ;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try being a 200+ lb guy getting submitted by a skinny girl half your size.

That'll put a dent in anyone's ego. ;)

LOL, I'm not skinny but I've had to make a couple of men submit. I was demonstrating an armbar on a guy to teach it and he was being awkward about it which is fine if you are rolling but when you are trying to teach it's a nuisance so I used it to actually submit him, he was not amused. It made the lesson 'realistic' though. Another time I was grappling with a guy who had done nothing like it before so I was given him to partner and 'talk' through, he gave me his back and I put a choke on lightly explaining about not giving his back etc, he got a strop on saying he wouldn't tap to that, well no it wasn't on hard, it's just showing you what grappling is about, he went to struggle to show how 'easy' it was to defeat me as the 'little female' so I put it on properly and goodnight, sweet dreams. We didn't miss him when he didn't come back, we'd done some kickboxing type stuff before and he was constantly contradicting the instructor which is never good so he'd had a couple of pops at him already.

Latest Discussions