What Do You Think Are The Best Self Defense Weapons?

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
For civilians... It's an individual answer. What's the person willing to deal with? Carrying a gun requires some clothing planning, and can become a challenge, even if you have a CCW, since there are places you can't go, and things you can't do while carrying. I have the ultimate CCW, my badge & creds, which pretty much let me ignore "no gun" signs, even off duty. Worst case, I'll leave. But a civilian can't carry in a number of places that I can; they only recently changed the laws in Virginia to allow carrying a concealed firearm (with CCW, of course) in any establishment that serves alcohol, for example. Didn't matter if you drank or not. Looking at other things -- options that work fine for my wife may not be acceptable for someone else. The few universal items I suggest are cell phones, and flashlights. And -- honestly, the flashlight is discretionary, too. If I'm working with someone on how to defend themselves, I'm going to assess what they're willing and able to carry, and employ, and work from there, rather than hand them a cookie cutter shopping list.

The reality is that tools aren't going to make you safe. They're there for when things get totally fubar because you should have avoided the situation as much as possible. I could carry enough crap that I clink as bad as I do on duty. And I might be tempted to get into a stupid situation or go somewhere I shouldn't. Lot of people already said it, as I recall this thread: the best weapon for self defense is knowledge coupled with simply staying out of places where violence is likely.
in my state, you are not on duty and responding to a call and my business says no weapons.. you go to jail! cop or not!!

but it does have to be posted. but off duty you may not enter a place with no weapons sign armed... exception is court house and hospital.. other wise its a serious no no

Janina

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
how about your 3 middle fingers for an eye poke.....or a good old weapon of a sidekick to the knee....or a nipple twist lol

One teacher once told that best possible self defence weapon are your quick feet, but I suppose he did not mean kicking by that.. ;)

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you had to carry any weapon for self defense besides a gun, what would you use?
The brain is the best weapon in all situations. But it never hurts to have a backup.

I personally carry a small Maglite with my keys attached. It never gets taken away at airports like a kubaton will, and it can be used quite nicely as a kubaton. It's amazing how handy and helpful that flashlight is.

In the car, I carry a larger Maglite. Again, the flashlight is very helpful and it can be used in much the same manner as a bahng mahng ee.

Blaze Dragon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As was pointed out already. Your mind, and then your weapon choice based upon your training. I feel the best self defense weapons are those you can carry comfortably, regularly and are confidence enough to use. In some cases this maybe getting a makeshift weapon. Also it would depend on where you are, for example having a walking staff out hiking vs in a store, in which case a cane would be a much better option, as long as you have the training.

I feel that movements can be translated from one weapon to another. The effectiveness of such translation is easily debatable. However if your trained in sword, swinging a stick like a sword would still, in my opinion at least be better then grabbing something your not comfortable with at all. Like wise if you are trained in some form of short stick, a cane, or hastily broken broom/mop handle might be a viable option. Wearing a belt can make for a quick weapon as long as it's not needed to hold your pants up (in fact wearing one even if you don't need one, might make this a good option). Kubotan is another easy to carry weapon.

However essentially what ever you can use effectively that you could comfortably do your daily day to day route with I feel would be worth considering. As long as it's legally allowed to be carried where your day to day routine happens :)

Jackthekarateguy

White Belt
Reaction score
carrying any kind of offensive weapon is as far as i'm aware prohibited in the uk and using a pencil as a weapon is less likely to be seen in a good light by the courts. Doesn't stop me carrying four thrusting weapons, two on each hand, and four clubbing weapons, one in each sleeve and trouser-leg.These are the weapons I'm used to using the most, If you get my drift. I'm not an animal person, but a really big dog probably has a lot going for it in terms of legality, and affection for that matter

MaxRob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A water pistol filled with a concentrated solution of ammonium hydroxide ( ammonia)
It is absolutely devastating and debilitating on any attacker.
target nose or eyes, face. The fumes are paralyzingly effective.
SRTICTLY ONLY TO BE USED in those conditions where one is in a REAL LIFE TREATENING CONDITION where avoidance and awareness and escape the magior self defense tactics have failed.check with your local laws, as this can cause severe harm and even permanent eye damage.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Its as good job you don't live in the Philippines. A local with. a sundang is by very very proficient.

Anything can be construed as a weapon if carried or used with intent. Maybe waving a coloured belt at them might frighten them away?

The ammonia gun sounds good but like mace not so good in a confined space.

3 locals stabbed their cousin 23 times last year. About all that will stop them is a tazer.

Last edited:

iluvmycam

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm just getting started so I am no expert. This is what I've settled on: a 500 lumen Surefire flashlight, a can of pepper spray and a collapsible baton. For back up a divers stiletto mounted in a waist bag. If someone is on top of me and is killing me it is easy to insert into their torso.

If I was younger and better shape I'd put more effort and skill in hand to hand. I'm working in that direction now. But at 60 with a bad back and neck I prefer some weapon help.

iluvmycam

White Belt
Reaction score
A water pistol filled with a concentrated solution of ammonium hydroxide ( ammonia)
It is absolutely devastating and debilitating on any attacker.
target nose or eyes, face. The fumes are paralyzingly effective.
SRTICTLY ONLY TO BE USED in those conditions where one is in a REAL LIFE TREATENING CONDITION where avoidance and awareness and escape the magior self defense tactics have failed.check with your local laws, as this can cause severe harm and even permanent eye damage.

Sounds good except the water pistol. Ones I've had leak all over.

iluvmycam

White Belt
Reaction score
I dont know if ive ever replied to this thread, but, one way or another, ill answer again, with this as a revision if need be.

The best weapons for self defense are the ones youve got with you at the time.

That is what they say about cameras too!

iluvmycam

White Belt
Reaction score
Since I am the only one who mentioned a short stick, I guess the above is directed at me? The OP's question was "... what would you use?" So what would I use? As I said, as a Hapkidoist, I would use a short stick. In the Hapkido I learned, we did a lot of short stick defense between 1st and 2nd dan, including for sword defense. From 2nd to 3rd dan, there was even more training with the short stick. So if I had to choose a weapon, that is what I would use since I am trained with it.

If others are students of Hapkido, and did not learn that, I would not advise them to try and use it. But you are correct, no matter the weapon, you should train with it so you can indeed use it effectively.

Yes, sticks are good. I got a couple of DVD's on them. Never knew so much could be done with them.

iluvmycam

White Belt
Reaction score
I personally own a Glock Model 23. I love it and take it everywhere I'm allowed to.

Yes, good protection. But when I travel overseas or certain states it is not legal. I need legal weapons or at least somewhat more legal than a gun. But isn't it sad how law abiding people have to be scared to defend themselves against the criminals?

iluvmycam

White Belt
Reaction score
A tactical flashlight would be a good choice, and can be taken into areas other 'tools' cannot. It also serves more than one purpose, so it is good for a survival tool. Additionally, several varieties have very sharp ends. A Kubaton is a nice tool as well, though it may not go places a flashlight can go.

In regards to the legal issue, it really isn't an issue. Using a 'weapon' in most locals will cause the charge (if any is issued) to become 'aggrivated'. Doesn't matter whether you're using a knife, a bat or a toaster or a car. One cannot say there is a greater risk of death in any particular weapon used. It all depends on too many factors i.e. place of injury/force used/depth of injury/health of individual injured/outside influences.

While a flashlight and kubaton are great choices (I carry both regularly), if it could be ONLY one thing, a knife is a far better choice simply due to the variety of things that can be done with it as I stated above. In this venue, usability is paramont. Normally, I carry my off-duty firearm (Glock 23 .40 S&W), Spyderco Endura serrated clip knife [doubles as a great rescue tool i.e. cuts seat belts etc], Swiss Army knife [McGyver approved], couple of tactical flashlights [one small on keychain], kubaton on keychain and if I have my fanny pack with me I have firesteel, chapstick/cotton balls [some will know what this is useful for], mag bar w/striker, extra LED flashlight, whistle.

When I got my 500 lumen Surefire I tested it on my hand. I lightly hit the bone on my back hand with the crenellated bezel. Caused a bruise immediately and some blood. I shined it in my eyes is a dim room. I was still seeing stars a minutes later. They are fantastic tools. If you want to go to the next level, laser weapons are the thing. But they can cause perm eye damage.

iluvmycam

White Belt
Reaction score
Whatever I have on my person or within reach is the best self-defense weapon. That said, I am a fan of edged weapons for potential lethal force situations and the use of pens / felt-tip markers for less-than-lethal situations.

Steve

I just got a tactical pen.

They look pretty scary. I keep it as a last ditch weapon.

iluvmycam

White Belt
Reaction score
The only currently available stun gun I'd even begin to consider advising for a civilian is the Taser C2. Currently, only Taser's products have the Neuromuscular Incapacitation effect of their shaped pulse. The C2 was designed as a throwaway; deploy it, and while the attacker is incapacitated, you run away. Even then, it requires an effective deployment and two probe hit under pressure with limited practice. A Taser isn't a bad thing to have -- but not something I'd heavily encourage, either.
Again, we have problems of deploying it under pressure, as well as requiring sufficient room to use it effectively. And it can VERY easily be lethal force. It's a freakin' metal pipe, certainly capable of doing "serious bodily harm."
Lights are something I strongly encourage. They're useful in dark places, they may blind an attacker (if you can lay hands on it, in a functional manner under pressure), and a few are even designed to have some enhancements for self defense.

"Piss off juice" is the best name I've heard for OC. Unreliable, and easily beaten by a determined assailant. That's if you can even find, grab, and functionally deploy it in the first place. If I could, I'd take it off my duty gear...

Knives are useful. Benchmade are decent, at a good price point -- but far from the only brand worth recommending. (I'm personally partial to Spyderco, and also their Byrd line. But that's just my own preferences.) And I'd encourage a knife that can be easily opened with one hand -- but also is useful as a tool, not merely a weapon. Also worth mentioning or recalling that a knife automatically means lethal force.

Practice and training in the use is important. It's also very important to couple carrying any sort of weapon with training and education on the use of force, and how to articulate your use of force.

All good choices. Although I don't like folding knives that much.

Latest Discussions