What do you guys think about?

OneKick

White Belt
Reaction score
What do you guys think about the UFC or any other organizations alike, and do you think they have a good or negative impact on the martial arts community?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What is MMA and does it have the right to be called MMA?
Mma is a rule set and yes... Sort of. I mean, can a sport have rights? What do you think Mma is and do you think it had any rights at all?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mma is a rule set and yes... Sort of. I mean, can a sport have rights? What do you think Mma is and do you think it had any rights at all?
At the risk of bringing up an old topic/argument on here, I dislike MMA being called mixed martial arts. It is definitely a mix of martial arts, so the name makes sense...but to many people, if I say I practice mixed martial arts, they assume I'm talking MMA (when in reality it's multiple forms of ken/mpo, judo and fencing).

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suppose I could just list them out, or say I practice multiple different arts, but that doesn't flow as nicely. :(

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to Martialtalk, OneKick. You might want to go to the Meet and Greet section and say hi, so others can say hi back. :)

in my opinion I think MMA has been great for Martial Arts in general, and for fight sport in particular.
I really enjoy watching it. And it's the only sport I've seen that let's me watch, enjoy and study so many different techniques and approaches to fighting.

How about you, what do you think?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
At the risk of bringing up an old topic/argument on here, I dislike MMA being called mixed martial arts. It is definitely a mix of martial arts, so the name makes sense...but to many people, if I say I practice mixed martial arts, they assume I'm talking MMA (when in reality it's multiple forms of ken/mpo, judo and fencing).
Truly, that misunderstanding is entirely on you. It's like telling someone in the USA that you play football when you really mean soccer, and being upset when people are confused.

MMA refers to a sport that is well defined and universally understood.

OP
OneKick

OneKick

White Belt
Reaction score
MMA is not martial arts, or shall I say the UFC or any organization like it. I know you hate me now, but at least here me out. Organizations such as the UFC and others are pressing that they offer the most elite fighting style around. Let me say this right out and get to the point that these so called MMA fighters are not martial artist. These MMA fighters are fighters and they fight for fame and fortune. A martial artist is someone not only enjoys the art combat, but the spiritual side and philosophical side as well. It takes dedication and years for someone to be called a martial artist in my opinion. To me martial art is a way of life and form of mediation and takes years of discipline to grasp hold of it. Today's generation is too much mechanical and it's all about sport.
I am not saying today's MMA is not effective, but it is a style no less and a very effective one at that. And, we all know with styles there are certain limitations and it's hard to think outside the box once you are stuck to a certain pattern.

OP
OneKick

OneKick

White Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to Martialtalk, OneKick. You might want to go to the Meet and Greet section and say hi, so others can say hi back. :)

in my opinion I think MMA has been great for Martial Arts in general, and for fight sport in particular.
I really enjoy watching it. And it's the only sport I've seen that let's me watch, enjoy and study so many different techniques and approaches to fighting.

How about you, what do you think?

I agree with you MMA has a lot to offer, but on the other hand it is not what I call true MMA. I also love watching the sport as well and find many great advantages and disadvantages as well. One of the disadvantages is that it is limited, but it is a sport no less.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MMA is not martial arts, or shall I say the UFC or any organization like it. I know you hate me now, but at least here me out. Organizations such as the UFC and others are pressing that they offer the most elite fighting style around. Let me say this right out and get to the point that these so called MMA fighters are not martial artist. These MMA fighters are fighters and they fight for fame and fortune. A martial artist is someone not only enjoys the art combat, but the spiritual side and philosophical side as well. It takes dedication and years for someone to be called a martial artist in my opinion. To me martial art is a way of life and form of mediation and takes years of discipline to grasp hold of it. Today's generation is too much mechanical and it's all about sport.
I am not saying today's MMA is not effective, but it is a style no less and a very effective one at that. And, we all know with styles there are certain limitations and it's hard to think outside the box once you are stuck to a certain pattern.

That's a pretty broad brush you're painting with. The UFC, and MMA as a whole, have a lot of people in it. Whatever your particular art happens to be, there's people in MMA who have also studied that same art. They might have a different opinion.

"I know you hate me, now." No, I really don't. I don't even dislike you, not even a little. Perhaps other things you "know" might also be incorrect?

My guess is your love for your particular Art is pure and filled with youthful exuberance and passion. Those qualities are wonderful, but can, at times, also narrow vision.

For instance, do you honestly believe there aren't any people in MMA who enjoy the spiritual side and philosophical side of the Arts?

And, yes, it does take years of dedication to be called a Martial Artist. How many years do you have in? Not as a kid, that doesn't count, but as an adult?

As for thinking outside the box, do you think outside the box?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hey,mwelcome to the site. I really encourage you to read through the many threads on this very topic before posting further. :)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Truly, that misunderstanding is entirely on you. It's like telling someone in the USA that you play football when you really mean soccer, and being upset when people are confused.

MMA refers to a sport that is well defined and universally understood.
Oh, I know. And I never said it shouldn't be called that, just that I dislike it.

For your analogy, I know a bunch of people who dislike it when I call soccer soccer. It's stupid, but that won't stop them from disliking it.

OP
OneKick

OneKick

White Belt
Reaction score
That's a pretty broad brush you're painting with. The UFC, and MMA as a whole, have a lot of people in it. Whatever your particular art happens to be, there's people in MMA who have also studied that same art. They might have a different opinion.

"I know you hate me, now." No, I really don't. I don't even dislike you, not even a little. Perhaps other things you "know" might also be incorrect?

My guess is your love for your particular Art is pure and filled with youthful exuberance and passion. Those qualities are wonderful, but can, at times, also narrow vision.

For instance, do you honestly believe there aren't any people in MMA who enjoy the spiritual side and philosophical side of the Arts?

And, yes, it does take years of dedication to be called a Martial Artist. How many years do you have in? Not as a kid, that doesn't count, but as an adult?

As for thinking outside the box, do you think outside the box?

This is really about opinion in the matter of the subject. I do agree with you and disagree as well. I just believe that todays MMA is a style and is limited. I don't mean to put the sport down as I enjoy it as well, but it has been brought to my attention that when you add rules to something it becomes a style. I do believe MMA should be called something entirely different and not MMA. When you watch the sport as a fan and not knowing anything about the arts you become a kid. I have seen many kids beating there brains out or claiming to know so called mma and you know what they don't know baloney about the sport. On the other hand when you see a lot of athletes who never studied martial arts in the their life and all of the sudden they become MMA stars.

Why do these athletes fight in a cage? Is for the same reason you would or entirely different? For one the sport is very popular and two who can say no to big bucks.

When I mean limited I am referring to the rules in the cage. Here is a link to a set of rules set by the Association of Boxing Commissions. Here is the link: Mixed martial arts rules - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And, yes MMA is a Sport and not what I call true MMA. I once asked a ufc fighter on this particular subject and he was shaky on his answer and admittedly said it was a sport with regulations.

So, how could you call it MMA?

But like I said it all boils down to opinion.

Last edited:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like MMA.
I have a number of members who have trained in several of the martial arts we provide training in and after becoming rather proficient begin to train for mma competitions as well. They indeed are martial artists.
I have a number of members who come only to our mma training sessions but aren't training for competition they just train for themselves. They aren't fighters but they are training and practicing specific aspects of certain martial arts we use for our mma sessions. I consider them martial artists because they are training in the martial arts.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A martial artist is someone not only enjoys the art combat, but the spiritual side and philosophical side as well.
Why do we have to bring "spiritual" and "philosophical" into MA discussion?

If I want

- "spiritual", I'll go to church.
- "philosophical", I'll study western civilization.
- "fist meets face", I'll study MA.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Oh, I know. And I never said it shouldn't be called that, just that I dislike it.

For your analogy, I know a bunch of people who dislike it when I call soccer soccer. It's stupid, but that won't stop them from disliking it.
You know people in the USA who dislike it when you refer say "soccer?" Come on. You're pulling my leg.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This is really about opinion in the matter of the subject. I do agree with you and disagree as well. I just believe that todays MMA is a style and is limited. I don't mean to put the sport down as I enjoy it as well, but it has been brought to my attention that when you add rules to something it becomes a style. I do believe MMA should be called something entirely different and not MMA. When you watch the sport as a fan and not knowing anything about the arts you become a kid. I have seen many kids beating there brains out or claiming to know so called mma and you know what they don't know baloney about the sport. On the other hand when you see a lot of athletes who never studied martial arts in the their life and all of the sudden they become MMA stars.

Why do these athletes fight in a cage? Is for the same reason you would or entirely different? For one the sport is very popular and two who can say no to big bucks.

When I mean limited I am referring to the rules in the cage. Here is a link to a set of rules set by the Association of Boxing Commissions. Here is the link: Mixed martial arts rules - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And, yes MMA is a Sport and not what I call true MMA. I once asked a ufc fighter on this particular subject and he was shaky on his answer and admittedly said it was a sport with regulations.

So, how could you call it MMA?

But like I said it all boils down to opinion.
Errrr.... Yeah. I really think you should read more and post less, at least for a while. These opinions of yours are about 15 years behind the times. Seriously. Do a quick search on this site and you'll read all of your opinions, all the rebuttals. It might be spooky for yiu to read posts yiu haven't written yet, only to realize they were posted by someone else over a decade ago.

D

Deleted member 34973

Hmm....I think it depends on the place. I recently visited an mma school and they had two options, train for competition or a self defense aspect, geared towards personal protection.

One thing did catch my interest though, the cost for training on the competitive side, is twenty dollars cheaper. I didnt ask if it was an incentive to compete or sales tactic.

Not saying that is is either.

I figured I would ask if I stop by again.

Latest Discussions