Has MMA damaged your view on your martial art?

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Any chance a TMA guy could answer these questions? Ive asked them over and over, and nobody ever even attempts to answer them. And please , no crap about the "moral highground" and how I just wouldn't understand, so it's just not worth your time to answer.

1; If a TMA guy and an MMA guy got into a fight, what makes you think the MMA guy would stick to rules? Whilst my training much more resembles MMA than TMA, if I got into a real fight, Id pick up the nearest weapon and attempt to smack you in the head with it. Do you really think MMA guys are too dumb to realize they're not in a cage?

2; Why do you think TMA doesnt have rules? Wouldnt pulling a punch be considered a rule? You dont really eye gouge, neck strike, groin kick in training do you? Of course not, it's against the dojo rules. Plus there would be nobody to train with.

A point about number 2. Before you say "I will fight how I train, so the deadly techs are better", think about it. If you pull punches so as to not really poke out an eyeball or make it so your opponenet cant have babies, wont you do the same thing in a real fight?

Again, Im not a pure MMA'er. I just think they have solid arguements that cannot be as easily dismissed as folks like to think.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
cfr said:
As stated Im really a middle of the roader. Every time this debate comes up I ask the same things to the TMA guys, and have yet to get an answer.

1; If a TMA guy and an MMA guy got into a fight, what makes you think the MMA guy would stick to rules? Whilst my training much more resembles MMA than TMA, if I got into a real fight, Id pick up the nearest weapon and attempt to smack you in the head with it. Do you really think MMA guys are too dumb to realize they're not in a cage?

Often, I think what some are thinking, you fight like you train. If you're not training to do it, it may not come as natural as if you do.

2; Why do you think TMA doesnt have rules? Wouldnt pulling a punch be considered a rule? You dont really eye gouge, neck strike, groin kick in training do you? Of course not, it's against the dojo rules. Plus there would be nobody to train with.

Oddly enough, last week, my Kenpo instructor geared up and we worked alot from the clinch. I elbowed his head, I threw knees to the midsection, groin and legs. Its all how you gear..no pun intended:)...your training.

Another point, for every MMA guy that has all UFC fights memorized and thinks he can fight like Lidell, there is a TMA guy that is practicing his deadly techs against the air, convinced that they would work against a resisting opponent. Both sides have dorks in fantasy land.

Working techs. in the air, shadow boxing, etc., has its pluses, but if we really want to get the feel of something, it has to be done on another body.

Again, both have their pros and cons and can benefit from each other.

Mike

OP
Odin

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kensai said:
I think you'll find Mr XS that it's TMA that's better!
no it isn't
yes it is
no it isn't
yes it is
no it isn't
yes it is
no it isn't
yes it is
no it isn't
yes it is
no it isn't
yes it is
no it isn't
etc etc etc etc etc etc... :rolleyes:

lol I know what your saying bro,the thing i didnt mean this to be a MMA vs TMA thread, I only wanted to hear if MMA has changed the opinions of people or if they now see the benefits of training in more then one art.

OP
Odin

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
''When I give my opinion you call it babble. That's not friendly, IMO.

Sounds like you are less interested in honestly considering opinions than you are in proving your MMA "buffet" approach is better than anybody else's training path.

[I won't waste any more of your time or my time in trying to discuss this with you since you seem much more ready to give and take offense than to listen with an open mind

My apologies to those who have read this thread and found my comments to be less than respectful -- that was not my intention.

I sometimes get caught up in my own rhetoric.''

Bro you have come to this conclusion by yourself,I havent said anything alone them lines you seem to have a chip on shoulder regarding the MMA world Im sorry if you have had bad experiences with us,Im not here for an argument if i was I would be posting on the TMA vS MMA thread.

I wont waste any more of your or my time in trying to discuss this with you since you seem more ready to give and take offence than to listen with an open mind

Bro In all honesty this statement could be taken both ways, I could tell it was a touchy subject with you when the post started hence why I said your intitled to your own opinion,nay bother my friend as I said this a touchy subject for you and as such I will leave you to it.

all the best in your training

Peace.

OP
Odin

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
When your teaching objectives become separated from what you are doing in class, then the teacher is engaging in bad teaching. In TMA alot of stuff was deleted and alot of stuff was made up and it ended up separating various arts from the objective of defending oneself.

IMHO, the bottom line is that all arts, if taught well to the objectives they claim, can be effective.

I may be wrong but I was always under the assumtion that TMA were battlefield arts designed for fighting?this may be wrong I do understand what you are saying but then like I said before,in mma we have different teachers that train their art the traditional way,I am being taught traditional Muay thai, traditional jujitsu (without the gi,which is not traditional but still utilizes tradional theories and techniques) and traditional greco roman.

I do understand what yuo are saying though.

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Odin said:
lol I know what your saying bro,the thing i didnt mean this to be a MMA vs TMA thread, I only wanted to hear if MMA has changed the opinions of people or if they now see the benefits of training in more then one art.

I know this comment was not directed at me, but my apologies for wandering off topic.

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Odin said:
I may be wrong but I was always under the assumtion that TMA were battlefield arts designed for fighting?

Only some. A couple military-combative type arts still exist. However, all organized Japanese styles (the Ryus) date from after the begining of the Edo period, when the country was at peace. None of them were organized as ryu before that. Likewise, famous CMAs like xingyi and taji were organized by retired soldiers during times of relative peace for them. Many of the later Japanese ryu focused far more on personal development than combat in any form, and Southern CMAs were often designed for personal self defense rather than the battlefield.

By the modern era, these suposedly deadly systems were delt with in short order by sportive fighters, first in Kano's Judo system, which dramatically and rather easily defeated all JJJ ryus except Fusen Ryu, a ground fighting system ultimately incorperated into Judo. In China, the sport of Shui Chaio produced Chang Tung-Shen, who demolished many top proponents of non-sport Chinese systems in a no-rules tournament (the "fifth All-China Kuo Sho tournament").

In the flourishing western market for Oriental mysticism, complete with strong legal protections against challenge matches, karate, kung fu, TKD and various fraudulent arts all flourished well into the present day.

this may be wrong I do understand what you are saying but then like I said before,in mma we have different teachers that train their art the traditional way,I am being taught traditional Muay thai, traditional jujitsu (without the gi,which is not traditional but still utilizes tradional theories and techniques) and traditional greco roman.

I do understand what yuo are saying though.

Sure. Some of the MMA systems are as old or older than the TMAs they compete with. Muay Thai is one of the oldest systems in existance and greco-Roman wrestling has existed hardly changed for quite a while.

OP
Odin

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
cfr said:
I know this comment was not directed at me, but my apologies for wandering off topic.

lol thats cool bro to be honest I was just trying to stay out of arguments.