Starting Kali saturday

isterphkali38111

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am starting kali this Saturday. I am just curious what arts if I ever decided to cross train, would complement kali the most. Don't have time to cross train now, but maybe some time in the future. Thanks.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Honestly don't worry what compliments it just do what you want. E.g jiu jitsu could compliment it perfectly (not saying it does as I have no experience in Kali) but you may hate jiu jitsu and not enjoy traininh in it. But you may enjoy kickboxing more even if it doesn't compliment it.

At the end of the day martial arts are about learning skills and having fun. Good luck with your first class

OP
I

isterphkali38111

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Honestly don't worry what compliments it just do what you want. E.g jiu jitsu could compliment it perfectly (not saying it does as I have no experience in Kali) but you may hate jiu jitsu and not enjoy traininh in it. But you may enjoy kickboxing more even if it doesn't compliment it.

At the end of the day martial arts are about learning skills and having fun. Good luck with your first class
thanks. Sounds good.

OP
I

isterphkali38111

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I must say though. I am still curious of what arts would complement kali. Who knows it may be something I enjoy.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I must say though. I am still curious of what arts would complement kali. Who knows it may be something I enjoy.
Well I know Kali is weapons so it depends if you want another weapons based system or an empty hand style

OP
I

isterphkali38111

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Actually kali is weapons, but it also has empty hand. I'm thinking possibly bjj would be a good choice, but I dunno. That would cover ground work, while kali would cover empty hand and weapons. On the other hand, the side mount kills meh, soooooooo. I was wondering what other people's opinions were.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, isterphkali38111. You might want to go to the Meet and Greet section to say hi and introduce yourself.

As to better help answer your question, have you studied any other art, or will Kali be your first?

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
What system of Kali are you starting? That will have a fair amount to do with what other systems might complement it due to differing mechanics, etc. Having said that, I would start off with arts that are different enough that you don't make mistakes of transfer (confusing one for the other) such as FMA and BJJ, or something like that. Later, Thai Boxing works well with many FMA systems due to the mechanics of the kicks and the use of knees and elbows, which are prevalent in Thai Boxing and some FMA systems. Silat can also be an option, again depending on what FMA system you are training.

OP
I

isterphkali38111

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
thanks. I do not know what system of kali but it is knife fighting, knife disarm, empty hand, and sticks.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why do you want to study a martial art? What other arts are taught close enough for you to attend?

OP
I

isterphkali38111

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Why do you want to study a martial art? What other arts are taught close enough for you to attend?
Thanks, but I've already checked out all my options. I even tried some for a while. I came to the conclusion that because of my busy schedule with school I can only train on the weekend. And that left me with 2 options, krav maga and kali. I didn't want to do something like muay thai or BJJ because I am out of shape and those arts can be intense. I also think kali looks pretty fun and I like that it teaches you how to disarm knives. I like how it seems simple to learn.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score

The name of the FMA instructor (John Cutbirth) sounds familiar, but I am not able to place them or the system. Sorry for that. I know there is some quality FMA in Memphis:

Pekiti Tirsia Kali
Derek Hammond
270-970-2248
[email protected]

Dog Brothers Martial Arts
Will Dixon
(901) 484-5236
[email protected]

Sorry I can't help further. If it was me, I would want to know what I will be studying, but that is obviously your call.

OP
I

isterphkali38111

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The name of the FMA instructor (John Cutbirth) sounds familiar, but I am not able to place them or the system. Sorry for that. I know there is some quality FMA in Memphis:

Pekiti Tirsia Kali
Derek Hammond
270-970-2248
[email protected]

Dog Brothers Martial Arts
Will Dixon
(901) 484-5236
[email protected]

Sorry I can't help further. If it was me, I would want to know what I will be studying, but that is obviously your call.
fashore man. I actually tried out Dog Bros I loved it. But it made things hard on me for school because it wasn't on my off days. Which is why I chose the Saturday class. Thanks for the help though. Ill ask my instructor what system of kali he teaches, but apparently him and Will Dixon got trained by the same guy.

Latest Discussions